Pioneer  

203 members have voted

1. 1. Will Pioneer make the top 12 in the next 5 years?

• Yes
    • No
    • Chipmunk Heaven

Whats to say that members in Div. II don't do the same with using their corps as a stepping stone. Even if they do get new members every year then they are still doing something right because some of them are more than Div. I quality. Not trying to rag on Pioneer, but maybe they should aim for a younger member range. Say 15-16, freshmen or sophmores in high school. Start them young and get them willing to stay because they are one of the best in Div. II and once you get a solid and loyal member base make the move back up to Div. I. And a way for that to occur is to go with a shorter tour, make it possible for more people to join without the full summer commitment. And slowly make it a longer tour.

Just my thought, please don't jump all over me for giiving a new option. Every time I come up with a new option people take me serious and cut my throat!!

That's because some of these people have nothing better to do than harrass people people on DCP.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pioneer is a great organization, regardless of their programming and placement. Roman Blenski, II is the executive director (if you dont know who that is, then you probably dont know much about DCI or the success of DCM). this organization brings many kids, some innner city, to an activity where they grow, learn and have a common goal working together. Many people over the years have helped Pioneer to grow and progress because of their "family" like connection to the corps. Top designers from Star of Indiana, Blue Devils, Madison Scouts, just to name a few, have dedicated their time, effort and skill, refusing payment for their involvement. Pioneer still holds these true old fashion values toward the participants and the activity that more corps should bring back.

Pioneer?

Better every day, baby. Thats what its all about, and a great motto to go by.

That's because some of these people have nothing better to do than harrass people people on DCP.

Yeah, lets be fair now. This has been a great thread full of different ideas and opinions. But has not yet turned into the usual DCP crap. Only a matter of time until the word amp is used, or someone suggests they go back to G horns, but as of now, we're all clear. :P

How to respond? I am in my fifth year on Pioneer's staff, but I don't speak for the corps officially. I've marched in pre-DCI and DCI. I've taught at all divisional levels.

My take is this:

Dropping to Div. 2 would be a mistake, financially and recruiting-wise.

The average age of corps members over the last several years has been around 17, so yes, we are young. Teaching is a large part of what the corps staff is about. If someone wants, really wants, to march, we do not turn them away. It may not be the primary instrument, as witnessed by the number of drummers who have marched Pioneer brass over the years, but the focus is about learning and growing as a person. I believe that leads to winning, if not in the drum corps years, then in the many years after drum corps.

The design staff is totally new compared to four years ago. Rick Kirby, Oliver Bullock, Paul Rennick, Dean Adamczyk and Kyla Smith are bringing new ideas into the fold. Is Emeraldscapes Irish? yes/no. Is the string ensemble Ethyl Irish? A piece they do is the inspiration for significant parts of the show. Roman and the corps (true, they are nearly synonymous) continue to evolve, musically and in other ways (yes, though it pains me to say it, am**** the pit is coming - reality bites, sometimes).

Do members march Pioneer, then go elsewhere? Yes, some do, and we are proud of their accomplishments. Others stay their entire drum corps career. We are very proud of their accomplishments. Others march a year or more, then life intervenes (as it always has). Guess what, we're very proud of them, too. In all cases, they come to us, we work with them to become "Better Every Day," and they leave us better than before.

Top 12 in five years? Who knows? Seems unlikely to many, but who thought there would be so little drum corps in the country back in 1972. Hang with us, good people, and amazing things can still happen.

Enjoy the show!

Edited by footform

I think anything is capable of happening. I always try to be optimistic.

If you asked drum corps fans back in 1998 if the Seattle Cascades would break into DCI's top 12 within 5 years...they would have told you that you're crazy.

Seattle Cascades:

1998 - Division 2 - 9th place.

2002 - DCI Finalist

Who knows what the future holds...