Corps that "redefine" the activity

Mandarins (when they were 2/3)

Small group, big sound, out performing groups 2-3 times their size. They set a standard in show quality for smaller corps that few have been able to imitate.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

was that 98 that Les Etoiles did that rotating drum thing, that was soooo bad###

and brown, how could you think that?

THANKS FOR ASKING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I’ll tell you exactly how ECJ ‘04 lead to the beginning of The Cadets ’05 show. For the people that march in ‘04 and before then you know Lui and Brandon, and for those that don’t Lui and Brandon were tuba players that marched ECJ that now march in Madison Scouts.

It was during one the winter camps when I had just went and watched Kill Bill for the first time before I went to camp. By the time I got to rehearsal I had totally forgot the tone that Daryl Hannah, who played Elle Driver, was whistling. So I asked Lui what it was and I kept whistling it :rock: . By April, Brandon had gotten sick of me whistling it so of course I didn’t stop. Because of my inability to stop other people stating to do it (remember Brian you yelling at me because you thought I would keep changing key), this got so bad sometimes that almost the whole horn-line would whistle as we trooped. :laugh::blink::laugh::blink::laugh::laugh:

This is where it gets to The Cadets!

We had trooped by The Cadets doing that a few times, and at least once behind George Hopkins because I remember him turning around as we trooped by! As we all know Hopkins has this great ability :ph34r: to take things that he sees and hears and put them in the show the following year.

So that is how ECJ 2004 led to the beginning of The Cadets 2005 show. You COULD say it was all me but I’m not that kind of person, it was the corps! B)

I believe Jersey Surf were the first ones to purposely take a penalty. It was fun to watch though.

Just trying to get this thread moving...I cannot think of anything else at this moment.

The first corps that I recall purposely taking a penalty was Garfield the year they sang Amen. That was 78 or 79 I believe. Then Boston Crusaders took one in 85 for using an electronic keyboard in their drum solo.

Regards,

John Swartz

Quick revision: As soon as I posted I immediately recalled a well-known picture of Garfield with someone holding up an Amen sign in place of the verbal and thought - someone's going to chime in saying they didn't take the penalty. So I did a little digging. They held the sign up in prelims in 77 in order to ensure getting into finals, but they took the penalty at finals. They also sang it in 78.

Edited by sarnia sam

Small group, big sound, out performing groups 2-3 times their size. They set a standard in show quality for smaller corps that few have been able to imitate.

We had a pretty good run in 1998 with 30 members. We had 11 Brass (they placed 3rd consistently behind Mandarins and Phantom Legion), 9 Battery, 4 pit, 5 guard, 1 Drum Major. At the North American Open the week before worlds we beat Mandarins in performance percussion (9.2 vs. their 9.1, Phantom Legion won with a 9.4 I believe). We took performance visual with a 9.9 that day too.

I've said it before and I'll say it again....I have NEVER seen any performing group that could fluctuate so wildly in size from year to year and still maintain the quality that Mandarins could...what was the season they won Div III with 9 brass??

And re the rotating drum rack....man, I got queasy just watching that on the broadcast! I can't imagine how that was on the players!

The rotating drum rack was first done by Les Etoiles in 1997. At that point they were a Division 1 corps

As for a small and potent corps, the very first Div 3 champs, St Francis Sancians were not afraid to take on challenging material and pulled it off very well. Their percussion section placed in the top 20 or so in 1986 Quarterfinals.

1990 Academie was the first Div 3 corps to place in top 25.

1996 Les Etoiles became the first Div 2 corps to make Div 1 semi finals

I've said it before and I'll say it again....I have NEVER seen any performing group that could fluctuate so wildly in size from year to year and still maintain the quality that Mandarins could...what was the season they won Div III with 9 brass??

And re the rotating drum rack....man, I got queasy just watching that on the broadcast! I can't imagine how that was on the players!

The first corps that I recall purposely taking a penalty was Garfield the year they sang Amen. That was 78 or 79 I believe. Then Boston Crusaders took one in 85 for using an electronic keyboard in their drum solo.

Regards,

John Swartz

Quick revision: As soon as I posted I immediately recalled a well-known picture of Garfield with someone holding up an Amen sign in place of the verbal and thought - someone's going to chime in saying they didn't take the penalty. So I did a little digging. They held the sign up in prelims in 77 in order to ensure getting into finals, but they took the penalty at finals. They also sang it in 78.

Yeah well no one rushed the stands as they did :P B) Glad you proved me wrong but still...its not like everyone purposely takes penalties.

THANKS FOR ASKING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I’ll tell you exactly how ECJ ‘04 lead to the beginning of The Cadets ’05 show. For the people that march in ‘04 and before then you know Lui and Brandon, and for those that don’t Lui and Brandon were tuba players that marched ECJ that now march in Madison Scouts.

It was during one the winter camps when I had just went and watched Kill Bill for the first time before I went to camp. By the time I got to rehearsal I had totally forgot the tone that Daryl Hannah, who played Elle Driver, was whistling. So I asked Lui what it was and I kept whistling it :rolleyes: . By April, Brandon had gotten sick of me whistling it so of course I didn’t stop. Because of my inability to stop other people stating to do it (remember Brian you yelling at me because you thought I would keep changing key), this got so bad sometimes that almost the whole horn-line would whistle as we trooped. :worthy::wall::worthy::wall::worthy::wall:

This is where it gets to The Cadets!

We had trooped by The Cadets doing that a few times, and at least once behind George Hopkins because I remember him turning around as we trooped by! As we all know Hopkins has this great ability :ph34r: to take things that he sees and hears and put them in the show the following year.

So that is how ECJ 2004 led to the beginning of The Cadets 2005 show. You COULD say it was all me but I’m not that kind of person, it was the corps! B)

Or maybe it was the Cavies who convinced Hoppy. They did that in their program 007 the year before as an effect, whistlin the theme song. And to add that onto the first corps to have a on-field visual warm up.....you just never know.