Rudeness from souvie booths/staff/members

Ive been treated with arrogance and rudeness by some jr staff members of other corps. They evidently didnt think their you know what didnt stink being on staff with "X" corps -this has happend on more than one occasion. Imagine their suprise when they find out Im judging them down the road or end up being their caption head...rudeness and arrogance are always displayed by those who have done very little and contributed nothing. You usually find those who are movers and shakers to be down to earth, approachable and polite.

Edited by walder

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember one corp's booth, way back in the days before the nice displays most booths have now, when apparal was folded on a table for shoppers to check out. People were naturally picking up shirts, unfolding them and holding them up to view the full effect of the design on them. The woman monitoring the booth kept snatching shirts out of people's hands and screeching at them to stop unfolding everything! And yes, this was a top 12 corps.

Another corps had their display set up in a way I couldn't tell if a particular design I liked was on a shirt, shorts or something else. So I pointed to the design in question and asked the woman if that design was on a shirt. She openly looked me up and down, and sneered, "yes, its on a shirt but we only have them in medium," then turned away to help someone else. Being overweight, I acknowledged it obviously wouldn't work for me. It was embarrasing and offensive. Not to mention when I got to thinking about it, how was she to know I wasn't maybe looking for a shirt to get as a gift for someone else that might have fit into a medium?

For quite a few years after each incident, I walked right past those booths without even a glance.

I remember one corp's booth, way back in the days before the nice displays most booths have now, when apparal was folded on a table for shoppers to check out. People were naturally picking up shirts, unfolding them and holding them up to view the full effect of the design on them. The woman monitoring the booth kept snatching shirts out of people's hands and screeching at them to stop unfolding everything! And yes, this was a top 12 corps.

Another corps had their display set up in a way I couldn't tell if a particular design I liked was on a shirt, shorts or something else. So I pointed to the design in question and asked the woman if that design was on a shirt. She openly looked me up and down, and sneered, "yes, its on a shirt but we only have them in medium," then turned away to help someone else. Being overweight, I acknowledged it obviously wouldn't work for me. It was embarrasing and offensive. Not to mention when I got to thinking about it, how was she to know I wasn't maybe looking for a shirt to get as a gift for someone else that might have fit into a medium?

For quite a few years after each incident, I walked right past those booths without even a glance.

simply unbelievable! Rudeness and insesitivity seems to be a national epidemic. I would be more so inclined to "educate" this person on their actions in the most dignified, eloquant way, making sure others around the booth were aware. The sovie booth helps these corps stay in the financial black and is essential to treat customers and potential customers with respect. OR...how about just treating people with respect period. Otherwise, get a job and stop hanging around youth organisations with a crappy attitude...it might rub off on others.

Let me just say, to the fine ladies of the Phantom Regiment souvie booth, I will be on tour ALL summer long if you know what I mean. Giggity-giggity, giggity-goo.

I remember you Darren, I still have that tye dye Bluecoats shirt and man it has sure come in handy during my last trimester of pregnancy. And it is fitting for me " Mood Swings"..lol..(We're expecting a boy in 6 weeks). It is so comfortable for me to wear... :) Hopefully we'll bring him around next summer to show him off..

My husband and I came around looking for you in Foxboro this past summer but you were off somewhere..I forget where they said. We specifically rememberd how friendly you were and made it a point to come by and say hi but you were gone. :( Oh well maybe next summer...

We had some alumni stuff going on in Foxboro plus we had plenty of help finals week so I didn't have to hang around the whole time. Sorry I missed you. I'm going to be in the souvie truck for about three weeks in July. Ohio tour and down to Texas and back. Won't be working at finals but I'm going to try to make it.....love finals in Madison, just too much fun! Hope to see you this summer. Go 2-7!

DW

When I said "no" the look on her face would have made a prison guards heart melt. I said "listen, pick out anything over here (I pointed to the girls shirts) and it yours". She pointed to a pink shirt, I grabbed it and she handed me the $2.00 in her hand (the shirt was $12.00). I said, "it's only a $1.00" and I handed her a dollar back". As I handed her the the bag you could tell that she was the happiest little girl in the world at that time. She turned and disappeared into the crowd.

Making a little girl happy..... priceless.

Something I will never forget.

That is awesome! Don't be surprised if you see that little girl marching in a line some year.

Understandable, and I see your point.....but I would also personally recommend if that you're a size XXXL, to consider losing weight for your own health and whatnot.

That's really brilliant, and I'm sure it wouldn't have been considered without your insight.

Haven't had problems with any sovies people. My friend (a guy) did get hit on by someone working a booth (another guy), and since my friend doesn't swing that way, it was pretty awkward :P

Ok, not exactly an anecdote about souvie booths/staff/members, but it's related to rudeness.

During Semi-Finals in Foxboro in 2005 I was sitting around the 45 (side 1) in the middle of an area with a few empty seats. Two obviously foreign women came to my area and sat on the edge of the row in front of me. A few minutes later, two caucasian women came down the stairs and saw the two other people in their seats. They accost the two foreign women, demanding to see their tickets. An honest mix up in my opinion, the foreign women were off by 1 row. They move up a row. . .but that wasn't the end.

The two American citizens kept slinging scathing racial slurs and referring to the women as "chinks." I was deeply insulted because the two Japanese women were totally oblivious to the slander that was directed to them. Being Filipino, I couldn't stand it. I tap the two women in front of me and tell them that they are acting in a manner unbefitting of civilized Americans in the 21st century. I also made a below-the-belt George W Bush comment, but that's beside the point. I left in a huff. . .proud of myself that I did not use any profanity because the situation definitely warranted it. Too bad I didn't stay to enjoy the age out ceremony.

Fans treating other fans rudely?! Members and fans and staff alike. We're doing what we love. Drum Corps International for crying out loud.