Do you dot shop?

its all about consistant stride size and straight line pathways (unless otherwise specified).

you should be able to march your show with holes on either side of you, and you also should be comfortable/flexible enough with your show to make small adjustments while you perform, giving a good "dress" to your curvaliner or straight line...

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's why you're always sticking out of the form, Borges. Maybe you should consider practicing the method that your instructors teach you, regardless of whether or not you agree with them.

i wouldnt be sticking out if people knew how to get to their dots, and being a dot shopper i find that the form behind me seems to be more correct than what i see infront of me =P

myth busted heh

granted staff just wants to get things looking ok and they dont wanna spend 2 minutes setting up spots every rep.... but then again knowing how to get to your dot solves that.

nuf said bye

For us it was always form first, dot second. We used dots as a guideline to build the form, but memorized the shape as the focus going from set to set. Even when we stopped, we'd dress the form, then check the dots. Even when I get the chance to teach drill today, it is form form form. Dots are worthless if the shape sucks...

i wouldnt be sticking out if people knew how to get to their dots, and being a dot shopper i find that the form behind me seems to be more correct than what i see infront of me =P

myth busted heh

granted staff just wants to get things looking ok and they dont wanna spend 2 minutes setting up spots every rep.... but then again knowing how to get to your dot solves that.

nuf said bye

Wow....

When you first start learning drill use your dots. After you have learned them I say go with the form.

i agree with my buddy aaron.......but ummmmmm when they ask you to fix something dress to the form always, you always want to make it look good.......i heard a story about a girl from last year who stuck to her sot sheet the whole time.....bad choice.....*a*m*a*n*d*a* (cough, cough)

At the beginning of the season when learning drill, I think it is important to go for the dot, but into the season it is more important to dress the form. The only time you dot shop is when you are a primary dress point. The sets where you set the form, you need to be on your dot or the form gets out of whack. Drum Corps is a GROUP activity. If one person goes to their dot and not the form then even if they are right, they look wrong. Yes, if everyone went to their dot every time then you don’t need to dress the form but...when you have over a 100 people and over 60-75 sets at some point in some place or time someone will make a mistake, unless of course you marched with Dartmouth High School...ahem...Borges....

There's some great stuff in this thread. I have found that there's only one problem with "dressing the form." It stems from the question; "What is the form?" More often than not, the "form" get's changed because so and so never makes it to where they are supposed to, and then so and so's friend tries to make that "look nice." There are also a lot of people in the marching activity that have problems visualizing themselves on the field in relation to other members, so this doesn't help anything.

Coordinates are as black as music notes on paper. I see no reason why members shouldn't learn and follow them. One question is also whether or not you are reading from computer-printed charts. When you read hand-written drill, there is a degree of human error when determining the coordinate on top of setting it. So sometimes going to the dot can be the wrong information.

If you use computer drill with printed coordinates, and have a rehearsal space grided by 2 step or something, I say go for the dot with minimal attention to dressing. (the need for dress occurs when someone is making an error, eliminate errors and there is no need for dress)

For us it was always form first, dot second. We used dots as a guideline to build the form, but memorized the shape as the focus going from set to set. Even when we stopped, we'd dress the form, then check the dots. Even when I get the chance to teach drill today, it is form form form. Dots are worthless if the shape sucks...

Totally agree