Do you dot shop?

I got curious today and decided to get everyones take on this. im looking for what you personaly believe the correct method is, i know what instructors tell just about everyone... but im sure theres pleanty of people who think otherwise.

dot shopping?

mainly going with form?

dot shopping with a emphasis on form?

Edited by erictuba16

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got curious today and decided to get everyones take on this. im looking for what you personaly believe the correct method is, i know what instructors tell just about everyone... but im sure theres pleanty of people who think otherwise.

dot shopping?

mainly going with form?

dot shopping with a emphasis on form?

Dots early on, form thereafter, unless mass drifting has created an issue, matching mirrored form, bunching/separating into/from another form, etc...Back to dots, uh, form.

When teaching drill, I start with dots but also explain the overall form at the same time. As the season progressess, I emphasize less with the students about dots and more about form, line, spacing and body.

When you first start learning drill use your dots. After you have learned them I say go with the form.

Well, I just bought a dots T-shirt from the Blue Knights website, if that's what you mean by dot-shopping. B)

Myself personaly i dot shop 99% of the time, i figure that with all the practicing we do during the summer, theres no excuse for not knowing the stepsize to your dot, spacing etc. ive had people tell me how can you memorize 65-70 dots?? some of you look at me and say thats all?? but even though if you practice for 2-3 months and still you cant get to your dots with a reasonable margin of error... umm kinda sad.

but yea i think if everyone dot shopped with some form for obvious reasons.. things would be much easier (drill the #'s in to your head) going with form doesnt force #'s into your head.. atleast thats what ive found.

thats all

Edited by erictuba16

Myself personaly i dot shop 99% of the time, i figure that with all the practicing we do during the summer, theres no excuse for not knowing the stepsize to your dot, spacing etc. ive had people tell me how can you memorize 65-70 dots?? some of you look at me and say thats all?? but even though if you practice for 2-3 months and still you cant get to your dots with a reasonable margin of error... umm kinda sad.

but yea i think if everyone dot shopped with some form for obvious reasons.. things would be much easier (drill the #'s in to your head) going with form doesnt force #'s into your head.. atleast thats what ive found.

thats all

That's why you're always sticking out of the form, Borges. Maybe you should consider practicing the method that your instructors teach you, regardless of whether or not you agree with them.

Everyone should know their dots from point A to point B and go to them. Dressing the form is what you do between point A and point B.

That's really it. That's all there is to it. Know your dot and travel paths. Hit them exactly. Dress the form while transitioning from form to form.

Borges, we all know that you're a Dotwhore and it gets on everyone's nerves sometimes, but we still love you............. for the most part! JK. And if I remember correctly, the form is NEVER the way it is suppose to be, it's always slightly off one way or another. Plus, as the season goes on and the ending is completely changed for the 3rd time form is more important. I'll give you this you knew ALL your dots and got there almost all the time.............. sometimes not with the form but you got there.

The way I do drill know is that things are more emphasized on step size and dots. Even earlier on we emphasized on consistent step size rather then shape when doing basics. The drill is harder but it works and the forms workout well. Things will move from dot to form as the season goes on but you need to know where YOU are going and not just follow everyone else. If the form is going to Helll and you can save it because you know your dot then do it. But if you know your not going to hit your dot but you're with the form and go with the form. Come August even Cavies are doing form................ form is most important.

It always helps to lean...........