Do you dot shop?

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dot? Form? The simple answer is yes.

All right dots equal right form. All right form equals right dots. I teach both since different people learn differently. I expect both because drum corps marching is about being consistently correct. Individuals working as one.

Edited by footform

Dot? Form? The simple answer is yes.

All right dots equal right form. All right form equals right dots. I teach both since different people learn differently. I expect both because drum corps marching is about being consistently correct. Individuals working as one.

Ding, Ding, Ding, we have a winner!!

When I marched Glassmen, we were expected to have all of our dots memorized. Our dot books had coordinates as well as a small picture of the form we were in.

Visual rehearsals were spent correcting forms based on the dot. If we weren't hitting forms, its because too many people were dressing the form and disregarding their dots. If everyone is hitting their dots and the form is still bad, that is bad drill design.

the thing is, and it's been said.... you can't be wrong in a show just to prove a point.

If any of the kids I teach were to ever say "I was on my dot" when I confronted them about a mess up of a form in a show, I'd be so angry and they know it.

You can politely ask your neighbors in the form to check their dots (if you're in a position in your band/corps that you can do that) but otherwise, unless you're having problems fitting into the form b/c of step size issues or something, then just keep your mouth closed. :)

The only other option, if you can't say something to your corpsmates, and it's a problem physically for you is to tell one of your tech who work with you during drill and let them handle it.

I never said we did it in a show (did we yes), in reheasal we tried to make it obvious enough so somebody could fix it, but when no one listens to you what do you do? I also stated when I made the tech "aware" of the problem, there would be no time to fix it. I see drill like I see music. Its there for a reason, why take it apon yourself to change it.

Ding, Ding, Ding, we have a winner!!

When I marched Glassmen, we were expected to have all of our dots memorized. Our dot books had coordinates as well as a small picture of the form we were in.

Visual rehearsals were spent correcting forms based on the dot. If we weren't hitting forms, its because too many people were dressing the form and disregarding their dots. If everyone is hitting their dots and the form is still bad, that is bad drill design.

The Corps I march now has the same method of teaching. We most have all of our dots memorized and a good dot book just like that. And through processes of elimination we can find out what's wrong and fix it a lot quicker, learning drill gets done sooner so cleaning can be done sooner. I find it works a lot better then any other method of teaching drill, and if the drill is bad that can be changed.

First of all judges and the audience don't have sets of your drill in front of them. Guide to the form.

Secondly if you blew up that sheet of paper in front of you to a full sized football field, that 'dot' is no longer so small you have a little circle around you in which you should move around to be in the form.

Your 'dot' is simply a reference point for rehearsal purposes.

I never said we did it in a show (did we yes)

Then you were a burden on your corps that day.

Yeah, if you want to raise #### about it in rehersal, go for it. If the instructor tells you to shut the #### up about it, then do so.

But if you do it in a SHOW (not guide to the form), you need to just quit, because you're destroying it for everyone else in the corps.

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one.

I never said we did it in a show (did we yes), in reheasal we tried to make it obvious enough so somebody could fix it, but when no one listens to you what do you do? I also stated when I made the tech "aware" of the problem, there would be no time to fix it. I see drill like I see music. Its there for a reason, why take it apon yourself to change it.

So does that mean you should stick with your interpretation of what fortissimo means and ignore what your instructor teaches you? Stick with your personal definition of what tenuto means, what marcato means, what legato means? Drum corps is not about individuals, it's about a group of people performing as one. If you're going to take it upon yourself to be a crusader during a show and be "right" just to prove a point, you're bringing your corps down. That's all there is to it.

First of all judges and the audience don't have sets of your drill in front of them. Guide to the form.

Secondly if you blew up that sheet of paper in front of you to a full sized football field, that 'dot' is no longer so small you have a little circle around you in which you should move around to be in the form.

Your 'dot' is simply a reference point for rehearsal purposes.

If you want to get technical about it, then the dots on a drill page are wrong. The drill you look at is actually a step and a third off to long. The drill page you look at is bigger then the field you march on.

If you want to get technical about it, then the dots on a drill page are wrong. The drill you look at is actually a step and a third off to long. The drill page you look at is bigger then the field you march on.

What?

Who is writing your drill and painting your fields?