Smoking members-how do the corps work with

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Like I said in another thread... I saw members of a contra section lighting up cigars on the way to the gate before the performance at their homeshow--I guess it shouldn't bother me if they do it, because it wasn't my corps. Afterall, their corps still won that season, and I think earned best brass.

I don't understand why musicians smoke, probably never will...they know what it does to their career... Although I know there are professional musicians who do it.

Like I said in another thread... I saw members of a contra section lighting up cigars on the way to the gate before the performance at their homeshow--I guess it shouldn't bother me if they do it, because it wasn't my corps. Afterall, their corps still won that season, and I think earned best brass.

I don't understand why musicians smoke, probably never will...they know what it does to their career... Although I know there are professional musicians who do it.

Did this corps happen to be from California. A very laid back corps perhaps? Yeah I wouldn't be surprised...

Did this corps happen to be from California. A very laid back corps perhaps? Yeah I wouldn't be surprised...

I guess I was just more upset at what it could possibly do to your physical state in an activity like this. I'm sure you can figure out what corps I am talking about. I respect the corps, because they always do great things for me on the field... I just wish I hadn't saw what I did, in uniform. I don't mind being one way off the field, but putting on the uniform and representing the corps at an event is a different story. Anywho, back on topic...

There are too many other things you can do on tour, to get away from smoking...

Sounds like a propaganda rap that they would show 10 year olds in school, lol.

Fo' Rizzel

Like Arnold Jacobs, master of air flow. Heavy smoker from what I've heard.

As a fan with many friends that have marched over the years, I tend to go by the buses after the show to tell my friends how well they have done, and what I've enjoyed about their show.

Thinking about it after reading another thread, I noticed a comment "DCI doesn't condone smoking".

AFter reading that, I was thinking, I am not sure I have ever noticed a member smoking after a show, before a show, during lunch breaks, etc.

Being a nonsmoker, but having many smoking friends, I can't imagine a young smoker going almost 2 months without a cigarette. So do the corps have a smoking policy? Or is it just a majority of the kids out for corps don't smoke?

In both corps I marched with - if people smoked...people smoked. Staff said nothing. Parent's who toured said nothing. No rules. No nothing. It was totally the member's choice.

In Freelancers, there were usually only a small hand full. Not many at ALL actually.

In Blue Devils, at least 70% of the entire corps. I was even one of them. Started when I joined the corps and stopped 6 months after I aged out.

In both corps I marched with - if people smoked...people smoked. Staff said nothing. Parent's who toured said nothing. No rules. No nothing. It was totally the member's choice.

In Blue Devils, at least 70% of the entire corps. I was even one of them. Started when I joined the corps and stopped 6 months after I aged out.

And you know what? You and your corps were still #### good, people enjoy marching there, the corps has exhibited longevity and competitive stability, and the organization is seen as classy and professional (by most). Goes to show that lots of people freak out about nothing. I'm sure smokers know the point of view of musicians who know what's best for everyone. They prooooobably don't care about what everyone tells them is best for them as musicians. This brings me to my original point, one I made on another thread; if people are doing something in drum corps that you (you = the theoretical person who has a problem with it) don't wind up being exposed to and isn't detrimental to the corps performance or image, then just leave it alone. You'll be happier because there'll be less stress, and the people doing it will be happier because they get to have their idealization of a good time.