Smoking members-how do the corps work with

Hey, I don't have a problem with people killing themselves. I'm just saying its dumb.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In recent years I've seen members smoking while loading the equipment truck.

Right or wrong, it did make me think less of that corps. I've also seen a lot of smokers in one paticular very top corps, especially guard and percussion. But they were smoking out of uniform at a meal break.

But smoking while loading the equipment truck is not a good idea. At my University a drummer had been smoking while loading up equipment. The butt ended up in the truck also. Later the equipment truck contents caught on fire. Ruined a few things, damaged others.

from what i'm told, drummers smoke a lot...oh, we're talking about cigarettes... oops! :P

I marched in and taught drumlines for years and have never smoked anything. Word.

Back in the late 80s we had a bunch of smokers in the corps, and the horn guys would even light up on water breaks! Always totally boggled my mind.

I know smoking is addictive, hard to quit etc.....but I have NEVER met a person that liked it the first several times they did it. It is not like heroin or other substances in that respect. You have to choke down the first carton to even think about actually WANTING to smoke.......unbelievable.

Plenty of smokers started out as either social smokers, or "only smoke when they drink." Then they realize, over time, that they're addicted to cigarettes.

Yeah smoking is pretty dumb. But hey, it's cool with me, you wanna kill yourself go right ahead, don't bother me none.

Sounds like a propaganda rap that they would show 10 year olds in school, lol.

I've often wondered what different corps policies are on this subject.

I don't smoke, and don't like the smell of people smoking, but I'm not going to say what other people should do. It's certainly not my place. Kids today have been very well lectured about the dangers of smoking, and they know how bad it is for them and how addictive it is. I would know; I'm 16, and we have several anti-tobacco rallies a year. By this point, it's been so drilled into us that we mostly just use the time to catch up on reading, homework, etc.

I think that smoking doesn't have a place while participating in corps activities. I consider it to be very poor form when a corps member smokes at a competition, or even worse: in uniform. Also, smoking during rehearsals is not a great thing to do. If someone wants to light up, fine. They should wait until a food break or something, and step outside. If they can't deal with the urge, then sorry, but I just don't think that they have a place on tour.

If I ever see someone smoking in uniform... well, I'd be pretty turned off. I'd also probably write a letter to the director.

if you've gotta, then I agree....wait until you're on YOUR time (like lunch) to do so.