Smoking members-how do the corps work with

Well, for one thing, most corps practice at high schools, and smoking on school grounds is illegal under federal law.

No, it's not. This is, strangely, one area where the federal gov't doesn't override the states (and thus, the 10th Amendment). There is no federal law outlawing smoking on state property; most states have that law in place. At every show in a HS venue, I've heard, "Ohio law prevents smoking on school grounds...."

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

smoking on school grounds is illegal under federal law.

Since when?

I know there are many school districts that have a strict policy about smoking on school grounds. Clark County School District in Nevada (Las Vegas and environs) forbids smoking on schools grounds at all times. Even if you are teacher, you are not allowed to smoke on school grounds. You weren't even allowed to smoke in your car while it was on school property. Those coworkers of mine who smoked had to walk across the street to smoke during the school day.

Many distrcits have some variation on a smoking ban. (IE: Not in the building; not in the stadium; not on campus, but you can smoke in your car)

Edited by profhill

It was forbidden for hornline members in my corps. Drummers and guard members were allowed to, but it was looked down upon.

That said, I think there were like 5 smokers on tour in any given year I marched.

Bingo.

Why anyone would WANT to develope one of the most untreatable types of cancer known to man is beyond me.

It's not a matter of want. It's addiction. An incredibly powerful addiction, equal to that of heroine. As an exsmoker (usually :laugh: ) and an elementary school counselor, I describe the addiction like this...

Imagine that you have not eaten anything for about four days. You walk into the kitchen and your mom is baking delicious chocolate chip cookies. You can smell that wonderful smell as they bake in the oven. You see some that have just cooled on a plate.

What kind of drive would have to eat one?

That is the power of ciggarette smoking addiction. Your brain tricks you into feeling like you need to have it, you MUST have it in order to survive. The ironic part is that it will kill you. The addiction lasts for many years after you quit as well. That's why so many fail at quitting. Virtually all smokers start as kids, when they feel immortal and that they could quit at any time. Big tobacco knows this. Big tobacco knows that if a person never has a single ciggarrette by age 18, they very likely never will at all. I clipped an article from the paper a few years ago with the simple attitudes of big tobacco:

1) "Today's teenager is tomorrow's potential regular customer...the smoking patterns of teenagers are particularly important to Phillip Morris" (1981Phillip Morris Report)

2) "If you are really and truly not going to sell to children, you are going to be out of business in 30 years." (Bennett LeBow, Liggett/Brooke Group, Ltd.)

3)"....if our company is to survive and prosper, over the long term we must get our share of the youth market..." (1973 RJ Reynolds Report)

One more tip...NEVER ask someone who has just quit, "how's that not smoking going?" You have just reminded the person about the addiction and probably just created a "nic-fit."

Edited by DrumCorpsFan27

When I marched, I was always amazed that after a run through there would be a handful of smokers...from the hornline...that would immediately light up and smoke a cigarette!

I have absolutely nothing to add here, but just wanted to say that this is actually an interesting thread...I've never smoked anything (and I'm a drummer :) ) so it's interesting to see this whole culture I never really thought much about.

It's not a matter of want. It's addiction. An incredibly powerful addiction, equal to that of heroine. As an exsmoker (usually ) and an elementary school counselor, I describe the addiction like this...

No question. I'm not doubting that.

However, today's youth KNOW what smoking can do to you. The medical studies are here now (as they weren't years ago). Its almost impossible for a teenager today to NOT know about it.

Today, a several teenagers started smoking dispite this.

I call this behavior...whats the word.....oh, yeah "stupid".

Very true. but unfortunately, most people learn from their elders. Most children/teenagers don't have a mind of their own. So they will do what they see their parents and relatives doing and what they see on TV from the "cool people". That being said, the people of my parents generation didn't really know, and continue to smoke, and people of my generation have followed suit because it's there, it's readily available and that's what we see.