What causes GOOD art to go BAD?

Why is it that Beethoven's Ninth, DaVinci's Mona Lisa, Michaelangelo's Pieta, Andrew Lloyd Weber's Phantom of the Opera, Bernstein's West Side Story, etc. are all GREAT works of art....but, 1974 SCV, 1988 Madison, etc. are now "old hat?" It really seems like so many on DCP are only interested in what's brand new, cutting edge, esoteric,...

Anymore, when a 'classic' from the past is mentioned, it seems like too many are wrinkling their noses and muttering, "Oh, that..." Why is it so hard for people to accept that when something is great...it's great. Period. :blink:

I don't think thats really the case.

I think it has more to do with something being played to death. ####, you'll hear people bemoan the overplaying of Beethoven's 9th (or especially 5th) in orchestra settings.

No one doubts that these works are great, but we also need new stuff too.

Why is it that Beethoven's Ninth, DaVinci's Mona Lisa, Michaelangelo's Pieta, Andrew Lloyd Weber's Phantom of the Opera, Bernstein's West Side Story, etc. are all GREAT works of art....but, 1974 SCV, 1988 Madison, etc. are now "old hat?" It really seems like so many on DCP are only interested in what's brand new, cutting edge, esoteric,...

Anymore, when a 'classic' from the past is mentioned, it seems like too many are wrinkling their noses and muttering, "Oh, that..." Why is it so hard for people to accept that when something is great...it's great. Period. :blink:

Did ever stop to think that maybe....people have different tastes?

I think you maybe misunderstand. I love 1989 Phantom. I love 1986 Blue Devils. I love 1990 Star. I love 1988 Suncoast. I'll admit I don't care for many shows from the 70's, but that was a more different era with different tastes.

But it's like Brandon said. I don't doubt that those are great shows, but they're shows that we've seen. Maybe not all of us have seen them in person, but I'm guessing a majority of those on here have at least heard the recording, maybe even seen the video. We know these shows, and for those who don't, they have the resources they need to learn. While it might be great to see that show on the field again, it would be far better for us to be always creating something new. That way we don't settle for the legacy that's been left to us, but instead add to it. That's why I'll always prefer to hear Blue Devils tackle Bernard Herrmann, instead of settling for another Channel One Suite.

There is some validity to what the original poster is saying. I think at least part of the reason is that every generation needs to define itself. That often goes hand-in-hand with rejecting the previous generation. You’re seeing that in drum corps today. Drum corps in the late 80s/early 90s sorta defined drum corps to me, but a lot of younger folks see that stuff as boring or at least 2nd fiddle to what’s going on today. That’s fine…they’ve got their own stuff that they get into, and the next generation will look back on their stuff as boring. That’s just the way things tend to work.

Of course, I’m generalizing…I know there are exceptions, so please don’t point them out to me. But, the general trend seems to be that older folks whine about the good ole days and the younger folks whine about us older folks whining about the good ole days.

I understand people have different tastes. I suppose if you asked a cannibal, they'd say some people taste different. b**bs

But, when I see photos of the Sistine Chapel, I can appreciate it as much as anyone who's seen it live. And just as the Troopers were great in 1970, that show, is STILL great. The music, drill, guard work, and execution...of that show....have not changed in the last 36 yrs. They haven't tarnished, or gotten muddled or ragged. It's still exhiliarating! :)

I understand people have different tastes. I suppose if you asked a cannibal, they'd say some people taste different. b**bs

"I hope they like Spanish for dinner"... $1.00 to "Eating Raoul", a funny black commedy by Paul Bartel.

But, when I see photos of the Sistine Chapel, I can appreciate it as much as anyone who's seen it live. And just as the Troopers were great in 1970, that show, is STILL great. The music, drill, guard work, and execution...of that show....have not changed in the last 36 yrs. They haven't tarnished, or gotten muddled or ragged. It's still exhiliarating! :)

Yes, but they are indeed seeing it 'live'...as opposed to the 70 Troop living on in memory...a grainy B&W video maybe...and a 70's caliber recording.

No one can possibly experience the 1970 Troopers live today, which is a difference. And...times do change, like it or not...for different types of activities. Popular entertainment can become dated over time.

Also..you bring up some of the very greatest art in history...think about all of the art from those eras that never made it to our time.

Theodore Sturgeon, a SF writer, once said (at an SF convention) that 90% of Science Fiction is junk...then after a pause said that 90% of everything is junk.

74 Vanguard not great art? What are you smoking :P

Regards,

John Swartz

People are more comfortable with what's familar to them.

Ask any 8th grader who they would rather listen to: Beethoven or G-Unit? I bet they won't pick any of LVB's greatest masterpieces.

I appreciate the old corps shows...but the corps shows in the 90's are the ones that really got me engaged into this activity. Now is pretty good too.

Alot of those old shows are considered greats still to this day. But as time goes on...only the cream of the crop will still be remembered, so there are fewer that come to mind today than just a few years back.