Favorite Park N Blow

Y'know something else about that chart? We never knew HOW Duane Schimmel was going to play his little bit right as Perston Howard came up for the French horn solo....he'd vary it every night (I think he was trying stuff out). At prelims he kinda did a scale down, but for finals he just held the note with a lip trill...

Yes....but can you still cleanly play..."The Lick"??

I LOVE the 85 version of MIM, by the way....GOD, Suncoast had some ####### awesome brass lines in the 80s...

Here is the lick: F E F G F E D C D C Bb A Bb G... just play this passage really fast.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is the lick: F E F G F E D C D C Bb A Bb G... just play this passage really fast.

ill put that into finale and see what i come up with...was it a unison-octave split or was it harmonic?

btw..."the lick", is it refering to the samba sop intro or the fast latin jazz section? the later takes place over 4 beats prior to the sop solo, correct? is that 12 16th notes followed by a 5 tuplet?

man i would love to see the score!

Blue Knights 2005 the begging of the show, maybe a minute in ... i just remember having to make sure i wasnt deaf after the turned back around.

My favorite of all time would have to be Cadets 2002. I was lucky enough to be in the 8th row on the 50 yard line during finals week, the energy fro the corps was just incredible and it only got better over the three nights. Still one of my favorite drum corps moments as a spectator.

Second favorite would have to be Vanguard 98. A totally unexpected moment, but definately in a cool way.

Edited by dbg

ill put that into finale and see what i come up with...was it a unison-octave split or was it harmonic?

I think it was unison...

It was right before the sop solo/duet in the closer....after the bass line freaked the crowd out (and the swamba section)

Actually...I forget who it is (may ne John Adcock) who actually has that bar on his website...

btw..."the lick", is it refering to the samba sop intro or the fast latin jazz section? the later takes place over 4 beats prior to the sop solo, correct? is that 12 16th notes followed by a 5 tuplet?

It was unison. All horns started on the F at the top of the staff and the lead sops took it up the octave. And yes, it's the 4 beats right before the sop solo. If you finger the lick real slow, you'll see how "finger friendly" it is

If you put in in Finale, do the following:

4/4 time

I don't remember the exact tempo, around 132 beats per minute

all 16th notes in groups of 4 starting on beat 1

1st beat- F E F G

2nd beat- F E D C

3rd beat- D C Bb A

4th beat- Bb G 8th rest