Marching DCA

if you are serious about next year, now is the time to start, especially getting your cardio going for ya.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You'll never know until you try it out!!!

I agree with Jeff though. Start getting into shape as much as possible now. It'll really help with the physical part and the heat and all.

Good luck!

well it's not likely to get easier to get started the older you get so I say go for it and the sooner the better ... nothing like being on the field at finals to make you feel like a kid again B)

You'll never know until you try it out!!!

Yeah,,I gotta go with that,

You can either cut it or you can't.Its as simple as that.

If you find out you are too old or too fat to hang with the big boys,,there is always the honor gaurd. :P :P :P :P :P That way you can stand around and maon and whine about how old you are and slap yourself on the back telling stories about how great you once were. :worthy::tic::worthy::worthy:

Edited by camel lips

I just want to thank everyone for the support and help - really appreciate it folks! :tic:

Jim

I say go gor it! Last year was my first season marching in 25 years. At the open house in December 2004, I stood in a horn line for the first time in all those years, and I knew that that was where I belonged. :)

As for health concerns - I did the open house with Nitro pills in my pocket. (Having just had an Angina (sp?) attack 10 days before.) Now: Don't need them. I had a physical in March of this year, and my heart arythmia was completely gone.

Just take it slowly - We don't want you to show up those young pups too soon. :P

Hi Jim. If you check my signature (corps history) you will see a gap in DCA competition between 1976 and 2000. I marched with the Skyliners in 2000 (9th place finish at finals) the summer that I was 50. I too was concerned about the physical aspects of being out on the field with a bunch of high school and college aged kids. I had knee surgery when I was 45, have had back problems since my late 20's, etc. etc. etc. I learned a few things that summer.

Yes, it was a lot of work physically, but it was a lot of work physically when I was younger as well.

When you are older and marching, you take better care of your body than when you were young and indestructable. You will drink more bottled water and less bottled beer; eat more healthy food and less junk food; and do less all-night partying because that is what you will need to do to stay with the program.

You will enjoy the performances more and will relish every moment of performing with the perspective that being older brings.

The hardest part of marching at your age will be mental, not physical. By around August first, you will question why you got into this grind. The answer is - the performances, and making music with others who are willig to work just as hard as you are toward a common goal. People do the ridiculous amount of work that this activity requires and put up with all of the stuff that goes along with being a member of a corps because the rewards are so great.

Just do it - you won't be sorry.

Go for it.

You'll never know how much you can accomplish until you try. I was a drum corps rookie last year at 35, about 45 pounds overweight, not having played an instrument of any kind for 15 years, never having marched competitively before, and I'd like to think that I progressed enough to be a credit to my corps, which had its fair share of movement demands.

It was one of the hardest things I've ever done. And I'm so glad I did it!

Go for it.

You'll never know how much you can accomplish until you try. I was a drum corps rookie last year at 35, about 45 pounds overweight, not having played an instrument of any kind for 15 years, never having marched competitively before, and I'd like to think that I progressed enough to be a credit to my corps, which had its fair share of movement demands.

It was one of the hardest things I've ever done. And I'm so glad I did it!

Your story is a lot like mine..

I put the horn up after highschool only to pick it up 23 years later and join a drum corps.

This is my third season.Getting the chops back has the tough part.I have put a lot of practice time in and its starting to pay off.

As far as the marching is concerned...I have actually GAINED weight since I started.I know that sounds crazy but we eat a lot at my corps...what can I say.

So far I am keeping up with the young turks this year.Its a grinding show and even some of the young studs are huffing and puffing.The key is knowing how to pace yourself and still keep up with the program.A lot of it is MENTAL.