Marching DCA

Well the encouragement has been great and the folks at Cru are very welcoming. From a purely selfish standpoint I’m ready to go. I think the hardest part now is figuring out if this is fair to my family or not.

Thanks again for all the encouragement.

Roger Ellis: an inspiring and insightful post sir!

Cheers

Jim

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well the encouragement has been great and the folks at Cru are very welcoming. From a purely selfish standpoint I’m ready to go. I think the hardest part now is figuring out if this is fair to my family or not.

Thanks again for all the encouragement.

Roger Ellis: an inspiring and insightful post sir!

Cheers

Jim

I will add my encouragement along with the many others who have posted here. Similar story of marching junior corps in the seventies and then 30 years before jumping back in with DCA (MBI) in 2004. Because of family commitments, 2004 was just parades but it was a great way to ease back into things. 2005 was my first field show at the age of 49.

I understand your comment about being fair to your family. It is a significant time commitment. My family agreed to let me march in 2005 since that was my 50th birthday year. It was the best gift they could have given me, but it didn’t come without some meaningful sacrifice on their part. Now, I’m marching again in 2006 because my wife knows how much I enjoy the activity and what a great release it is for me in contrast to the various stress encountered elsewhere with family and work issues. I greatly appreciate the effort made by MBI to accommodate my schedule and I’m sure you can find the same reception at most DCA corps. I hope you get the chance to perform on the field. As many others have said, you won’t regret it.

Hi all.

I was reading a post in one of the other threads – could have been the Renegade search for snares, and somebody said that even in senior corps the battery was a young man’s game. Is that true?

Reason I’m asking – I’m 51, haven’t marched since DCA 1982 (snare, Niagara Regionnaires). The last 4 years I’ve been teching bass in div 3 DCI and fell in love with the instrument. I don’t care what kind of chops I could get back, I’d want to play bass, maybe positions 1-3.

I’m not teaching this year. As summer approaches and I become more and more bored, the thought of marching again is starting to swirl around my probably defective head. It’s too late for this season but maybe next year. Is this a dumb idea? Is it really just a young guy/girl thing with the drills out there today? I haven’t seen DCA in a while but the thought of marching the shows I see in DCI makes my body ache just watching it. Is DCA an option or, if I do this at all, should I confine myself to alumni corps?

Just curious – I’ll appreciate any opinions…..

Cheers

Jim

51 isnt old my friend and you can march with a competition corps or an almumni caorps if you choose to. #### at 50 I bicycled 700mi from Munich to Budapest with my 29 year old girlfriend. What you put your mind to..you WILL achieve;-)

Mike

51 isnt old my friend and you can march with a competition corps or an almumni caorps if you choose to. #### at 50 I bicycled 700mi from Munich to Budapest with my 29 year old girlfriend. What you put your mind to..you WILL achieve;-)

Mike

Not quite the same thing...you were sitting on the back of HER bike...and she did all the 'legwork'! :P

j/k

I'm just impressed that he had a 29 year old girlfriend when he was 50.........

I'm just impressed that he had a 29 year old girlfriend when he was 50.........

Jim, just don't tell his wife !!! j/k

Anyway, OLDER GEEZER, so you want to march, EH !!

I wouldn't worry about your family JIM, they may want you to get out of the house for three months or so !!!

Good luck old man and have fun !! B)

Edited by ODBC

AHEM.....O.K. Here goes. Joined the then Meadville TBIRDS (now Erie) in 1958 at age 15.

Did it all until 1969......went for a short coffee brake (23 years) and wound up in the Alumni in 1992 under the premise that we were just going to do some concerts and maybe a parade.

FINE..."I says" that's all I want to do. HAH!!! By 1996 we had 4 MiniCorps' wins, been to Boston (Bastin for the native's) Macy's 1994 All Stars, etc, etc, etc,.........and still going.

God willing I'll be 63 when we do the Alumni Spectacular in RaChaCha.

Bottom line? If it's in your blood it's in your blood...............DO IT :blink:

Gotta go now......Rehearsal in about an hour. I know how Gibbens and DA are when you're late.

Edited by melligene

AHEM.....O.K. Here goes. Joined the then Meadville TBIRDS (now Erie) in 1958 at age 15.

Did it all until 1969......went for a short coffee brake (23 years) and wound up in the Alumni in 1992 under the premise that we were just going to do some concerts and maybe a parade.

FINE..."I says" that's all I want to do. HAH!!! By 1996 we had 4 MiniCorps' wins, been to Boston (Bastin for the native's) Macy's 1994 All Stars, etc, etc, etc,.........and still going.

God willing I'll be 63 when we do the Alumni Spectacular in RaChaCha.

Bottom line? If it's in your blood it's in your blood...............DO IT :blink:

Gotta go now......Rehearsal in about an hour. I know how Gibbens and DA are when you're late.

Edited by melligene

Jim, just don't tell his wife !!! j/k

Anyway, OLDER GEEZER, so you want to march, EH !!

I wouldn't worry about your family JIM, they may want you to get out of the house for three months or so !!!

Good luck old man and have fun !! B)

How did I know you would show up in this conversations sooner or later, old geezer ...... :blink:

Well - if I do this - you could pick up a contra and drive to Rochester with me. After all - you're younger than me. Not by much, but you are younger......

Cheers - say hi to the kids at Dutch for me please.

Jim

How did I know you would show up in this conversations sooner or later, old geezer ...... :blink:

Well - if I do this - you could pick up a contra and drive to Rochester with me. After all - you're younger than me. Not by much, but you are younger......

Cheers - say hi to the kids at Dutch for me please.

Jim

Older Geezer, buddy, with all do respect.....maybe next year !!

I have somethings to attend to first, at 48 years old......my 1 year old daughter comes to mind !!

And as for Dutch...no problem !! B)