Places to eat in Madison

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's not much to recommend in Madison as far as eating or accomodations...or stadium comfort...restrooms...

But I digress. The place my father raves about is a steak house called Smokey's. He's a pretty fussy guy when it comes to restaurants, but he always goes out of his way to stop at this place. Anyone local know if it's still around?

Karen

Yes, Smokey's is still around. Its on University Ave. a tad east of the Hilldale Mall as your driving toward the Stadium.

As for other inquries about restaurants, Rocky Rococo on lower State St. is gone--it closed its doors about 3-4 years ago. There are some good ethnic restaurants on lower State St. that are resonably priced, including "Husnus" Turkish/Mediterranean restaurant. "Cafe Tutto Paste" (I think thats the name ?) is a good Italian place in the mid-state St. area. They have another place on King St., just one block east of the capital square. For a nice dinner for two in the $75 range, I recommend the King St. area. Its a burgeoning area for more elegant dinning than the cheap student-oriented places on State St. (eg., Toco Helll, State St Brats). In the King St. area, there is "Cafe Continental" and arguably the best Mediterranean restaurant in Madison, "Casbah." There is also "Restaurant Magnus" near the corner of King and E. Wilson Sts. Those are just a few places that come to mind.

Bon Appetit

Does The Nitty Gritty still exist? That was one

great place to go for a burger.

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm......cheese curds. Havent tried their burgers yet.

Don't forget Mickey's Dairy Bar, if it's still around (it's only been 26 years)

Isnt there a pizza place right across the street from Camp Randall? I remember going there my rookie year, I dont know the name of it but it was pretty good. For anyone else who is marching...there is always that McDonalds right behind the bus parking lot....to this day that place still had the cheapest McDonald's food I had ever eaten.

Edited by ACM

Have you tried the deep fried pickles yet?

Ella's Deli's are the best, but there are a few other places that have them too (Quaker Steak & Lube).

If you're an adult and definitely not a prude, the most unusual experience you can have is to go to Sunday morning breakfast at Bennett's Bar on South Park Street not too far from Camp Randall. It's known as Smut-and-Eggs. Google it and you'll find out more. This is certainly not the best food you'll have in Madison, but it's a meal you'll never forget.

Greg

heh.

My favorite two...

Smokey Jon's #1 BBQ out on Packer. I stumbled on to it my first time in Mad in the '80s.

Greenbush Bakery - Someone else already mentioned it...but it's worth mentioning again...and again...and again. If you like donuts...and c'mon, who doesn't like donuts...you gotta go. Best donuts anywhere...and that includes Donut Man in Glendora, CA...home of the Strawberry Donut.