Places to eat in Madison

I am getting a little antsy and am starting to put together our itinerary for Finals week. If you could recommend one place to go for a nice, (and relatively inexpensive, under $75 for two) dinner in the Madison area where would it be? My wife and I enjoy dining out and are looking for something new to experience. Last time in Madison we took a dinner cruise on the Dells and may do that again, but I was wondering if anyone had some other ideas. We will be staying out by the Energy Center, but we are willing to drive a little (obviously as we went to the dells last time :) )

Rick

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well, as a former Scout I can tell you that the normal place get a great gyro and some really bad for you fries is the Parthenon.

Good stuff, man. And all for about $4.50. ^OO^ I lived on that when I was there.

Couldn't afford good-for-you food when I was in... :P

well, as a former Scout I can tell you that the normal place get a great gyro and some really bad for you fries is the Parthenon.

Good stuff, man. And all for about $4.50. ^OO^ I lived on that when I was there.

Couldn't afford good-for-you food when I was in... :P

Don't forget State Street Brats!

What's the name of the place in Waunakee where you can get a brat- ON a burger? That's GOOD EATS!!!

BW3.

lots of stuff on State Street and around the capital

I tend to go for chain-type fast food places that aren't in my area. Certainly not culinary delights, but one I love is Taco John's, an easy walk from the stadium a block past The Regency dorms on Regent St.

On State Street there's a number of vegetarian eateries. An unusual one is on the lower level of a building on the south side of the street, specializing in Western Africa cuisine.

Also on either end of State Street and around the capital are booths that sell really good falafel.

And don't miss Babcock's, both in the dairy building at UW and in the Student Center. They make their own ice cream from the milk produced on the UW farm. Fresh really does make a difference.

Well...

as a former Scout there are a few places I recommend. First off, just south of the stadium on Regent street...go to the Open Panty, or Open Pantry, which ever name you prefer.

From there proceed to the Big 10 Tavern which is just east of the Open Panty

Then follow it up with glazed donuts from the Greenbush Bakery-long johns are the best.

Oh, and sleep at the Regent Apartments if possible....oh the memories

There are many great places to eat in Madison.

My credentials: I eat out almost every meal. I avoid almost all chain restaurants. I wrote a dining column for the Rockford newspaper for 4years.

So, here are my suggestions:

Marigold's for breakfast. A half-block from the Capitol on Pinckney. Bright, colorful interior. VERY popular. Small. Outstanding food. Rosemary potatoes are a highlight.

L'Etoile is considered by many to be the premier restaurant in Madison. I've not been. It's on the Capitol square. Very expensive. Has a national reputation.

Chautara is a couple blocks from the Capitol on State Street. Himalayan food. Not romantic, but the food is terrific. Be adventurous and try it. You'll be surprised. Try the samosa appetizer. Sister restaurant a couple doors down is Himul Chuli.

Buraka is a handful of blocks from the Capitol on State Street. It's downstairs below Kabul (Afghan restaurant). Buraka is East African food. Small bar serves Kenyan and South African beer. Another terrific (and inexpensive) ethnic restaurant. Get one of the stews.

Papa Phil's is excellent Italian on Monroe Street a few miles west of town. Calamari is GREAT! Sinatra music. Romantic. Great food. Reasonably priced.

If you're an adult and definitely not a prude, the most unusual experience you can have is to go to Sunday morning breakfast at Bennett's Bar on South Park Street not too far from Camp Randall. It's known as Smut-and-Eggs. Google it and you'll find out more. This is certainly not the best food you'll have in Madison, but it's a meal you'll never forget.

Greg

Edited by GSNewell

That's a great post. I haven't been to Madison since 87, but I'd venture the amount of good campus-area eateries has only grown since then.