DCI APD's / Season Pass

I can answer a few of those...

First, you'll see APD's early in the season. Very early.

Second, there will be some new features, but those are TBA.

Third, Mike was pretty close. Streaming shows are 64k wma stereo, which is significantly better than mp3 at that rate. (No frequency top.) The downloads are at 192k; somewhat better than mp3 at that rate, and though it's not technically cd-quality, it's basically indistinguishable. If you want to discuss the bitrates, open another thread and I'll elaborate.

Fourth (and finally here), the non-Finalist corps are not there for one main reason, and that's licensing. In case anyone thinks that putting APD's up is "free money", you'll notice ALL of the ASCAP information on the site. That's no accident. It's not for lack of want; I can tell you that DCI would rather have the files up there, but it needs to make sense. Posting the 22nd place 19-sumthin All-Saints Boogie Down Corps from Springfield, USA will be great for the 6 people who would buy it... does it cover ASCAP? Probably not.

At some point it may make sense, but that's the explanation as I understand it today.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can answer a few of those...

First, you'll see APD's early in the season. Very early.

Second, there will be some new features, but those are TBA.

Third, Mike was pretty close. Streaming shows are 64k wma stereo, which is significantly better than mp3 at that rate. (No frequency top.) The downloads are at 192k; somewhat better than mp3 at that rate, and though it's not technically cd-quality, it's basically indistinguishable. If you want to discuss the bitrates, open another thread and I'll elaborate.

Fourth (and finally here), the non-Finalist corps are not there for one main reason, and that's licensing. In case anyone thinks that putting APD's up is "free money", you'll notice ALL of the ASCAP information on the site. That's no accident. It's not for lack of want; I can tell you that DCI would rather have the files up there, but it needs to make sense. Posting the 22nd place 19-sumthin All-Saints Boogie Down Corps from Springfield, USA will be great for the 6 people who would buy it... does it cover ASCAP? Probably not.

At some point it may make sense, but that's the explanation as I understand it today.

very well explained , thanks

Streaming shows are 64k - downloaded ones are 128, if I remember right.

I hope they announce it sooner rather than later. First show is the 18th! :)

Mike

I thought the Glassmen show was on the 17th?

First show is on the 16th!

Also, to clarify...

"It's not for lack of want; I can tell you that DCI would rather have the files up there, but it needs to make sense."

I don't want to speak for DCI as an org. That came out wrong. I'm not in a position to speak for DCI, nor did I intend to. Those are the issues as I understand them, and an example the best I could provide.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...