Bugles and all key

I am not sure if hellcats do Bb, but I know the Old Guard does. I have personally never played or heard a bugle or any kind of signal instrument that could of ever sounded like a trumpet. I spent many hours looking at period instruments in France, many kinds of bugles and what not, nothing is close to the system a trumpet uses to play. the harmonic series is also used differently on a natural bugle then a natural trumpet. I cant believe that people have a hard time seeing that a yamaha Xeno (I think thats what it is called) is different then a bugle.

The Hellcats do play on B flat instruments (bugles) and get the very characteristic bugle tonal qualities. I am not sure, but would guess that the reason they had their instruments designed in B flat was to be more compatible from an intonation and arranging respect with the trumpets in the West Point Band which they often play in conjunction with.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As for what old G (in this case P/R) bugles could do, I just listened to 1980 Rhode Island Matadors. Sorry but I have yet to hear current Bb horns played in such a heart stopping manner. Don't know if it's the key or construction but that kind of sound is missing today.

Ya sure it's not just a combination of how the music was written and how the kids were instructed to play it? All else being equal, arranging style and musicianship probably count for more than anything.

Ya sure it's not just a combination of how the music was written and how the kids were instructed to play it? All else being equal, arranging style and musicianship probably count for more than anything.

*Shrug* Could be but there are still old shows I listen to and the horns (sops especially) have a certain "bite" (can't think of a better term). As this was the piston/rotor age I'm thinking horn construction. Would be interesting to read a comparision between the horns by someone who understands the subject.

*Shrug* Could be but there are still old shows I listen to and the horns (sops especially) have a certain "bite" (can't think of a better term). As this was the piston/rotor age I'm thinking horn construction.

I dunno ... it just seems to me (based upon recordings I've heard -- didn't become a fan myself until 86/87) that the tone quality of the horns from back then left a *LOT* to be desired. And yeah, I know you can't necessarily judge much from old recordings, but that "bite" wasn't always a good thing, in my opinion. I don't totally like everything about how corps has evolved over the past 20 years, but the ever-improving quality of the hornlines is one of the things that keeps me coming back for more.

I dunno ... it just seems to me (based upon recordings I've heard -- didn't become a fan myself until 86/87) that the tone quality of the horns from back then left a *LOT* to be desired. And yeah, I know you can't necessarily judge much from old recordings, but that "bite" wasn't always a good thing, in my opinion. I don't totally like everything about how corps has evolved over the past 20 years, but the ever-improving quality of the hornlines is one of the things that keeps me coming back for more.

I think the skills in general of the players....the type of charts....and the type of sound the staffs strive to create...has done far more than a key change to the horn.

*Shrug* Could be but there are still old shows I listen to and the horns (sops especially) have a certain "bite" (can't think of a better term). As this was the piston/rotor age I'm thinking horn construction. Would be interesting to read a comparision between the horns by someone who understands the subject.

Hey! Are you saying the old sounds BITE??? Why I oughta..... :P

Hey! Are you saying the old sounds BITE??? Why I oughta..... :P

N'Yuck, N'Yuck, N'Yuck..... :P

Now how to describe the sound of the one valvers in my basement.