Souvie booths

Hey Mike, how about IF all the corps in DCI set up a booth at semis and finals only ??

Providing there is enough room, that is !!

I mean it's only fair to share the wealth, right ?? B)

Oh, of course...I think DCI should make sure that all corps have some space at champs for a souvie booth.

For other shows...including the one mentioned at J Birney...it just may not be logistially feasible.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, of course...I think DCI should make sure that all corps have some space at champs for a souvie booth.

For other shows...including the one mentioned at J Birney...it just may not be logistially feasible.

Hey MIke, after all these years, this is the first thing that WE have agreed on !! Congrats ! B)

Yeah. He's touring with the Cadets because I'm sure that'll somehow fix the MANY issues KK is facing. I wouldn't give KK a penny of souvie money until the corps is showing faith to actually become a drum corps again. Almost all members found new homes, and I can almost gurantee most of them will not return. And it doesn't look to me like the upper management is in a hurry to fix the problems, even though that's what Doug said this summer was going to be for. Funny, seems he should have said in the press release about not competing this summer something about "I will spend the summer with another corps like most of the current people that were associated with Kiwanis." Yes. I am bitter. But to try and keep this on track somewhat, I would just say that I would not be buying souvies or donating to a corps, until you know that the money is going to the MEMBERS not the beer garden at an exhibition. My thoughts. Flame away at me if need be.

so what are you doing to help, besides criticizing others about things you don't have the full inside scoop on?

What am I doing? I'm making the truth known to the many people it's been held from, without totally dirtying the kiwanis name. I know you're from Miami and know some of the people that were a part of KK, but I gurantee I've been there longer and know more than you can even begin to understand about what's going on there. Does the name SPYE mean anything to you? Probably not. Look it up, what it was, how great it was, who ran it, how was it connected to KK and why is it no longer? So trust me, I know more than you'd probably think. I can tell you the order that a lot of people left this year and why, and in past years. That's not what its about. That was a different topic. I wish nothing but the best for the troopers organization because at least when they hit hard times, their BOD did something and made changes and fixed the problem and they've shown great faith in returning for next year. Funny how when troopers announced their new director to continue helping them move in the right direction it mentioned a name of someone who would be running things for a few more weeks until the new guy (dont have the article and not worth looking it up unless it's doubted, than I'll find it) moved to Casper to take over the corps. So, Troopers director caring about the corps and members and things moves his life apparently to do his job, meanwhile KK's director is on tour with another corps? Sorry, I dont think that's right and as I said before, I wouldnt give KK another dime past the thousands I already have given them unless things were showing signs of change.

Edited by Iplaytimpani

first, don't be so quick to judge my knowledge, it's insulting and doesn't make you look very mature. and in my opinion, when i read some of your posts i have to vigorously remind myself that individual posters do not represent an organization. take a deep breath and a step back, and if you care about them, maybe try to do things to HELP the organization instead of talking negatively. it might not be your intent to "totally dirty" the organization, but even in your own words, you're not shedding a positive light on your alumni corps. there are more effective ways to discuss aspects of an organization, with a potential and intent for improving it, than trashing them. it's your choice to not contribute financially, and i totally respect your decision, but running all over dcp talking smack about them doesn't help the general activity at all, let alone help kiwanis regroup. these are all my opinions of course...

I'm not trying to insult you, but most people don't realize that this isn't the first group to "go inactive" under Doug Darwin. And you're right on a few things. I don't represent KK. I was only a member for a long time. And I'm not helping KK at this time, because I don't truly think anyone should be yet. That's MY OPINION. I don't think it'd be fair for anyone outside of the organization to help them out yet, because the organization itself is not showing any signs of helping itself. I am aware of the nasty light that I'm putting forward on KK right now, but really, it's a fair light I think. It's a reflection of the past and why things have become the way the are for this season and really the past few. If you'd like, PM me and we can duke this one out, but I'm really trying to keep this on topic somehow. I realize it just sounds like an angry alum or past member and I am, but with good reason. This topic was about if the corps (troop and KK) were even trying to sell souvies at shows, were allowed to, and things like that. Yet, nobody seems to be able to answer because the Kiwanis director is on tour with another corps. I wouldn't want to support someone without knowing the money was going to the members, and to me and its possible I'm crazy, I wouldn't trust the money I just spent at a potential kavie souvie booth yet.

Hmm,

As a past member who occassionaly checks this board; the problems with Kiwanis are generally not financial (well the last time I heard anyway). Nor are the problems really with upper management in regards to the actual operation of the corps. However, when I marched there I found that there were problems regarding recruiting, recruiting incentives for members and coordination between staff members.

I mean lets face the reality of the situation: Very few people want to march for a losing corps that they don't believe can be competitively successful, or has a plan to be competitively successful. I do not by any means believe that drum corps is simply about winning; however, it is about improving yourself, your corps and your life. If these factors and vision are missing from a corps many members find it hard to buy into the drum corps itself. I believe that if the leadership of the drum corps were to lay down a vision for the drum corps, it's future, and it's competitive success on the field the corps itself would start to take off. Kiwanis has the resources and ability's to be able to field a corps it just needs the membership and vision.

It saddens me that Kiwanis has left the field of competition this year, however, I am hoping that it will result in some much needed changes. For instance, Kiwanis needs a larger membership to survive. A hornline can't have 4 contra's at the Div 1 level and be considered successful by any standard. In addition the appeal of drum corps to many players is the large brass sound, cool formations and the thrill of touring and improving with 150 other ppl (including staff etc). I personally feel that some of these factors are absent from Kiwanis and could be improved upon.

I havent been involved with the organization in a long time, nor do I speak with any form of "insider knowledge", however, I feel that Kiwanis is a good organization, with good people involved. With stronger leadership Kiwanis can become a great corps again that will be a challenger for a top 12 spot. However, before anything can happen the corps needs members; both staff, current members and future members need incentives to become a part of the drum corps.

Anywho, like I said, Kiwanis is a great corps, I enjoyed my time with the organization, however, in order for it to continue in the long-term changes need to be made in order to build a solid membership basis.

Cheers,

Trooper fans - look for the familiar "sheep wagon" souvie booth at Denver, San Antonio and Madison. Our current plans are to be there to help with our return to the field in 2007. Or you can shop the sheep wagon on line at http://troopers.safeshopper.com.

We thank you ALL for your continued support and well wishes. All of us involved with the organization are working diligently to bring the Long Blue Line to a field near you in 2007.

Best of luck to all corps in 2006.

• 1 month later...

SPYE's folding had NOTHING whatsoever to do with Doug Darwin...

The rules regarding the bingo run by the group that financed SPYE in Scarborough, Ontario changed and they could no longer legally finance the organization...Unfortunately, this occurred mid-season, and, to the best of my knowledge, the only way to recoup the costs of the 2002 SPYE season (which were largely financed by Doug Darwin's credit cards) was to liquidate their assets...No assets+No sponsor=NO SPYE....

Dudie: You need to relax with your attack on Doug, man...Without him, and the organizations that you claim he so badly mismanaged, and the personal credit cards of both him and a few of the other faithful, I severely doubt you would have had the opportunities to perform in the positions you did on the WGI world class and DCI Div. 1 stages...

Perhaps the reason he's not in any hurry to start things up again with the corps is due to ungrateful people such as yourself...I mean, why would you go through all that effort for people who just turn around and assasinate you in a public forum?...

But all of this is off topic....

To respond to the souvie thing: I haven't heard anything about a kiwanis booth of any sorts and I chat with the woman in charge of the souvie end of things fairly regularly...I personally, have been toying with the idea of putting a KK alumni shirt out there...I'm not sure what the demand is for one and since there is no corps anymore to donate the proceeds to, and there most likely never will be again in any form other than in name only, I'm not sure whether it's warranted. I did a new logo for the alumni association not too long ago we haven't done anything with it since the corps folded (yeah, I know, the corps hasn't technically "folded"...but...well...what else do you call it when no one wants to march/teach/manage an organization?)...