Fess up!

got trapped judging last fall twice in one night...drill moves that changed so fast, even being alert wasn't enough

I've gotten quite a few over the years. I got one real good last year with the contra. Don't know which one it was, and I can't remember which show, but it was good. Personally, my favorite was hitting the camera men with mallets in the pit.

Were you ever involved in a judge collision?

If so, what year? what corps? what show? ... and if possible... what judge?

NanciD,

Last year I played a horn ('73) was back when judges would "nudge" back...hehe (J/K)

(though I'm not sure if in '69 some of the BAC horn line and drummers didn't go looking for a judge or two... :sshh: )

'74 Hurcs rifle line....NO ONE got too close (even the other members...LOL)

Since '75 only time judges got close was to say "Good luck" and "Have a good show"...

(maybe if the podium was bigger?..... b**bs )

Tony B)

Quite a few years ago I was hit as a judge in a New York State field band show. The band was Orchard Park and a member of the color guard struck me in the back of the head with her pole. It knocked me to my knees, tape fell out, batteries everywhere. I walked to the sideline dazed and confused. During critique the girl was so upset she came in to apologize but I told her it was my fault for not paying attention.

The next week I saw Orchard Parks band again and the director told me they had a great deal of fun at my expense playing and rewinding the point of impact. The sound of the pole hitting my skull could be heard in the press box and the crowd letting off one big gasp. I told them to send it in to funniest home video and I would split half the reward with the band.

Since then I have had near misses on the field....but nothing like that :unsure:

Ouch...

Could have been those propellors that the whole band had though in 2002 (I think...)

Were you ever involved in a judge collision?

If so, what year? what corps? what show? ... and if possible... what judge?

Sooo many judges so little time!!!! LOL

In the 30 years I've marched I think the most memorible one was the first one. I was about 8 years old. Marching cymbals with the King's Regiment. I think the show was somewhere in the Catskills. We marched 3 cymbals players which I don't think the combined age of the three of us made 21. That being said the field percussion judge was swarming the snareline (which actually was also the tenor line) thats another story!!! This guy paid so little attention to us being there, that on more then one occassion he pushed us aside to get to the snares. Finally an opportunity presented its self in the form of his crotch. He was infront of the snare line and the cymbal line came from under their drums (cute little kid visual) to stand in front for a ride section. Just so happens as we were coming up from under the drums we had a crash before we turned around. Thats when he got it. He didn't even see it coming. The tape was great. You hear the crash, him screem and the tape recorder hit the ground and get trampled by the drumline. I wish I can remember the judge's name. If anyone out there recalls the incident or has had problems since having children. I was 8 years old. I didn't know any better, But I though it was pretty #### funny then too.