Making a statment of being rude?

There are a million things that can go awry and prevent a corps from finishing before the first show. The younger corps have a lot of members still in high school and some dont finish until the end of the second week of june. This is a drum corps show, not a ham sandwich. It takes time. And dont forget the season started a week earlier until last year.

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not saying i would do this... i'm just trying to think of a proactive solution that would actually mean or do something... not clapping doesnt do much, petitions dont do much, not buying corps stuff doesnt do much on the singular level, but booing does have an impact it seems...

But, what is it you are trying to achieve ?? Booing is a negative action, wether well deserved, directed properly or what not, its a negative action that will cast a shadow on an otherwise happy event.

Lets say its done, what did it achieve, the staff will still teach on the same timetable they have already laid down.

Do we know the circumstances for the show not done ?? Could be legitimate, its really nothing new and you should almost expect it in the first week , regardless of a shortened season or not. I can recall the mid eighties when there were more corps shows incomplete than finished, it never crossed anyones mind to boo, I dont remember anyone really being annoyed either. It was kinda like..."ooh, I cant wait to see that one when its done".....

I would think that you should voice your opinions via letters or email, the souvie truck, in person, or what not, but no need to boo, its like putting a band-aid on a hershey bar........

~G~

Ok, so we all know how people have been complaining about shows not being done by the time of the first show and how something should be done about it, well, since no one is probably going ot forgo a show bc of it... would it be rude when a corps starts standing still bc they dont know any more drill, to booo? get maybe a large audience boo going on there? thoughts?

DISCLAIMER: it wouldnt be booing the kids... it would be booing the staffs, etc..

I don't think booing is the answer (and besides, booing would be REactive, not PROactive.. being proactive means you took action BEFORE something happens).

The proactive solution would be to wait and not go to a show until later in the season. If the stands in early season shows aren't full, the shows will eventually stop being profitable and probably die out.. then the corps will have no early shows.. then they will have more time to finish their programs and the shows we DO go to later in the season will have full programs on the field.

Quite honestly, I don't think what I've suggested is a good answer either because it impacts the show sponsors of those early season shows.. and it's not their fault either.

What I AM a little sickened by is the suggestion in another thread that corps aren't doing anything during the pre-season... or are wasting their time or not planning well enough to HAVE complete shows by the first performance. That's flat-out poppycock. Anyone who's been involved as a fan for the last ten years knows that field programs are much more complex now. There's almost NO standstill time -- there is no "concert", there is no "production" -- those are dinosaurs and WILL NOT OCCUR again. A concert piece was.. what.. 3 minutes long? Corps arced up and played their concert piece for three entire minutes. And the most I've ever had to watch a DI corps stand still with an unfinished show on June 16 was about 2.5 minutes and they still played the music.. so what's the difference?

It's not about having it perfect. It's about having it right. It's about making sure what's on paper works with bodies on the field and adjusting if necessary. It's about making sure that closing section isn't going to cause anyone to hurt themselves because they got lost in a complicated move.

It's about a LOT of things but it is NOT about poor planning or laziness.

Okay.. end of MY rant.

Thanks for reading!

Stef

Edited by ScribeToo

If you REALLY want to do something proactive, get in there as a volunteer and help move things forward.

Better yet, if you really want to be proactive, rent the corps a suitably large indoor rehearsal facility for all their winter/spring camps and all-days.

Ok, so we all know how people have been complaining about shows not being done by the time of the first show and how something should be done about it, well, since no one is probably going ot forgo a show bc of it... would it be rude when a corps starts standing still bc they dont know any more drill, to booo? get maybe a large audience boo going on there? thoughts?

DISCLAIMER: it wouldnt be booing the kids... it would be booing the staffs, etc..

Well, let's see. To be fair, you should boo all the corps that opt not to field opening weekend, then. That's even worse, isn't it? Oh, and the Seattle Cascades come out latest of all the division I corps - shall we boo them all year long, then?

(/sarcasm)

We should be glad just to have a show on June 17th weekend. After that, if you are disappointed with a corps standing still, you have the option of sitting still in response. And, of course, cheering even louder for those corps that deliver a full drill.

Hey ! can we boo if we see you ??

~G~

Hey, why not? But be sure to do it with a capital B so I know it's for me.