what the crap- i just saw that second video of Yokohama ROBINS-- that was nuts man!- so is that the equivalant of Japaneese drum corps? i mean that big move at the end (8:45 or so) was a rotating box cutter-- i mean, there are only a handful of DCI moments that i think trump that in terms of difficulty for a single big move-- (go to the last 2 minutes and you'll see what i'm talking about)... all in all- that was a really good show... i'm somewhat suprised that this is the first i've heard/seen of that activity over there- they've got it together for sure- i think if that group came and didn an exhibition at a DCI show, they would probably be on the same level or higher than some Div 1 corps-- or am i giving them too much credit? hard to tell from a video

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yokohama Robins was ranked 2nd in the nation at the 2006 Japan Nationals, behind Aimachi. They probably would have been ranked 3rd if Soka Vanguard competed, but they were only performing in exhibition this past seaosn. I saw the Robins live in Saitama last November and was very impressed with their horn sound... better than most groups here in the states I think, but they are a Bb group, marching trombones as well as coronets, so they have a very well/fine balanced ensemble.

Only two drum corps were ranked in the top 5.

Yokohama Inspires @ #3,

Tokyo Phoenix @ #4

Hamamatsu Wild Winds (marching band) were #5.

Edited by bari_benzo

Dood....they should have won. NOBODY put on a show like that.

Sure music city was crazy, and ryth X was probibly one of my fav winter shows of all time, but no one had a show like Aimachi. they had the complete full package like i have never seen. I expect to see a lot of full shows like this in the future.

In WGI, for good or for ill, music always trumps visual and execution always trumps design. And MCM has better hands than anyone.

Aimachi's show was off the hook to watch. I watched them in the lot and even, I went "dang!" But the show was very cheesy and very simple. Executed very well, butnot near the difficulty of the other shows. It was a great thing to watch though.

Okay quick edit to say wow, on the Robins. Very cool. Plus, you gotta love Bb, G and Trombones all at the same time. ...and the fact that a camcorder of the tv video of my age out show came up in the "related" links

Edited by frontline99

Aimachi's show was pretty sweet considering I had never seen anything like it before.... but wow, why did they push the tempos so fast? I think it ruined the effect of Blue Shades. And they have some awful baris....omg sound like ###.

And the Robins....HOLY CRAP.... that last drill move had me going WOW a few times over.... I've never seen anything before like it!!!! Very impressive, albeit very dirty.

Yeah, looking at both Aimachi and Robin's video, I'm guessing those performances are from August 2000 (WAMSB World Championships I think).... which would have been 5 months prior to the All Japan Nationals. Robert can correct me on this though, if I'm wrong.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9pyJQCNDPI...0D%0AAimachi%20

whoa! These guys brought their drumline out to WGI and sprang a 3rd place. Their spinning tenor break was sick.

Mom

They did a pretty good job with SCV's '99 musical selections, although the Native American motif was a rather interesting choice for show design.

The step-over move with the guard was kind of weird considering where it was in the music.

Sounds like the horns got tired at the end, lots of ensemble stick-outs and tuning issues.

I see your Aimachi and raise you a Yokohama ROBINS ! :worthy: The 1996 Phantom Regiment of Japan! (with better drill :sshh: )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fDVwP9TAMc&search=dci

I actually feel that their take on Shostakovich 5 was closer to the original piece than Phantom's. They definitely had some chops in that horn line.

Yeah, looking at both Aimachi and Robin's video, I'm guessing those performances are from August 2000 (WAMSB World Championships I think).... which would have been 5 months prior to the All Japan Nationals. Robert can correct me on this though, if I'm wrong.

I didn't have the opportunity to see them in 2000, but I know it was not last year or the 2004.

I can't wait to see what Aimachi have in store this year after the success of the winter drum line, it should be interesting