Class Separation in Regular Season

Stemming off of the following comment in this thread:

declaring yourself Class A by June 1st is an option open to any corps with fewer than 65 performers (not counting A section) - theoretically, the open champion from the previous year could have a terrible winter and only have 65 performers in May and declare Class A... unlikely, but the exaggeration certainly answers your question. No, you would not be "forced" to compete in open class the following season... However, it's really a pretty moot point for all of the regular season since all corps compete together with no class distinction until championships.

Would it be beneficial for DCA to (eventually) extend the separation of Open and Class A to the regular season? Would DCA need to see more growth (with the majority of East Coast corps being Open and the majority of non-East Coast corps being Class A, and the typical show having only 5 or 6 corps anyway) before this comes to pass? Is it there any importance or benefit to segregating Class A and Open Class in the regular season anyway? (I know all of us score-watchers separate out Class A when making finals predictions anyway...)

In short, should it be done?

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I doubt it would really be worth it at THIS stage of the game, since as you said, the distribution of corps geographically as well as the number of corps at shows is minimal. You'd end up seeing something like 1st through 3rd Open and 1st & 2nd Class A at a show. Or something like that. And since all corps compete together at prelims... But maybe, DCA could list the scores all together as they have been, but put a little (*) next to class A corps to signify how the A class corps scored against each other? Kinda like how NASCAR identifies rookies within the big picture results. Just a thought.

I doubt it would really be worth it at THIS stage of the game, since as you said, the distribution of corps geographically as well as the number of corps at shows is minimal. You'd end up seeing something like 1st through 3rd Open and 1st & 2nd Class A at a show.

On the other hand, that's what DCI does. This weekend, our Saturday show looks like 3 DI, 2 DIII, and 3 Sr... Sunday will be 3 DI, 2 DIII, and 2 Sr. Looks like there will be 6 1st place trophies up for grabs.

But maybe, DCA could list the scores all together as they have been, but put a little (*) next to class A corps to signify how the A class corps scored against each other? Kinda like how NASCAR identifies rookies within the big picture results. Just a thought.

That would be an idea... Just for our own benefit.

I'm not saying we couldn't do that, it's just, do we really want to? I mean, not that I have a problem with having more winners at shows, it's just that with only 5 or 6 corps at some shows... eh...

I doubt it would really be worth it at THIS stage of the game, since as you said, the distribution of corps geographically as well as the number of corps at shows is minimal. You'd end up seeing something like 1st through 3rd Open and 1st & 2nd Class A at a show. Or something like that. And since all corps compete together at prelims... But maybe, DCA could list the scores all together as they have been, but put a little (*) next to class A corps to signify how the A class corps scored against each other? Kinda like how NASCAR identifies rookies within the big picture results. Just a thought.

As others stated, with the number of DCA corps today and the regions, I think holding off until Labor Day weekend to divide into Open and A is fine for now. I do like the idea of putting an "*" to signify Class A corps in score lists June 17 through August. It would help many fan$.

Or, even if DCA would signify on their listing of corps who was in what class. They don't list corps by who is a member or associate anymore, and they never listed anyone by their class. Whatever happened to that?

Perhaps someone could direct the DCA Webmaster to this discussion...

I'm not saying we couldn't do that, it's just, do we really want to? I mean, not that I have a problem with having more winners at shows, it's just that with only 5 or 6 corps at some shows... eh...

Exactly. A prime example would be the Minnesota State High School League. They just keep on making more classes and more levels of competition so that more schools can "feel successful". Take, for instance, the fact that there were 6 champions at the 2005 Prep Bowl, from 9-man all the way up to 5-A. And the MSHSL takes a lot of crap for it.

Maybe it's something to look at for larger shows? In Woodbridge there's 5 Open and 2 A, in Rockmart there's 2 Open and 5 A, and in the two Minnesota shows there's 4 Open and 3 A. Maybe set some shows up as "Regionals" and attract more corps? Just by the number of corps attending this year, Rockmart, Syracuse, and one of the Minnesota shows could be those regionals. They could even add incentive by saying that the Regional champions are the last ones on at Prelims, regardless of the system currently used.

...........Maybe set some shows up as "Regionals" and attract more corps? Just by the number of corps attending this year, Rockmart, Syracuse, and one of the Minnesota shows could be those regionals. They could even add incentive by saying that the Regional champions are the last ones on at Prelims, regardless of the system currently used.

Actually, the Rockmart show is the DCA South Championship this year. According to the new DCA South decisions, the DCA South Championship will rotate each year between various DCAS member cities. The 2007 Championship will be hosted by MCL in Nashville.

Is there a show that is designated as a DCA Central Championship? It would be difficult to have a DCA Northeast Championship without a DCA NE organization.

Having various Regional champions is an interesting concept..........

this may offend a few, but i am still baffled at how some of the top A corps always score lower than some of the lower open corps. it seems to me that size contributes to score, even if noticeable gaps in quality are evident

I think the "slow but steady" approach has merits, meaning I don't see a move toward separating into classes in the near future.

That's just my opinion.... it's up to the member corps to make this decision, I would assume.

Remember folks, that as recently as 2003 there were only 3 Class A corps at DCA prelims.....and only 11 Open Class corps at prelims as recently as 2000 or so. Growth (in terms of the number of competing corps, in Open Class and Class A) is good.... but solid, sustained growth is better, IMO.

Fran