What if...

What about last year's GE judges for the Cadets? I *STILL* don't get a lot of the show... was the drumspeak something to do with "Dancer in the Dark?" When Daryl Hannah was whistling "Twisted Nerve" in KB, she was on her way to kill Uma. Other than music effect, I don't even know why they warmed up/opened with that. I know it's 2006, but I was always afraid to ask WTF, because I thought I was the only one who avoided "Dancer in the Dark" because of that creepy singer.

Btw, corps have "press releases" of sorts for judges. BD's 1994 release was quite wordy in explanation.. for such an UNcomplicated show.

Throughout the season, don't the staff of the corps meet with the judges to discuss their show ideas? I know that is something that is done in the MCBA circuit in Michigan, and I thought I saw a clip on the Vignettes on the 2005 DVD showing the judges talking to the corps staff. I also believe there was a rumor last year of either Wayne Downey or George Hopkins getting banned from future rendezvous.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

IMHO, I think the music stands on its own - without regard to the content or storyline of the movie trilogy. For me, the melodic theme is just one of those signatures that you 'get'.

Nino Rota, the composer of the film score, was an accomplished composer well before he wrote the Godfather soundtrack - including credits for some 152 films, including Fellini's "Romeo and Juliet".

Definately see the movies ..... but I don't think they're a pre-requisite for appreciating the passion of the music.

My $0.02.

-john

Oh yes the music stands on its' own quite well. :)

As for the films, they are some of the greatest films of ALL time. I would HIGHLY recommend checking them out sometime for those of you that have not seen them. Make sure you have them time though as these films are also quite long(especially The Godfather Part II which is 3 hrs. 16 mins. in length before credits).

Oh yes the music stands on its' own quite well. :)

As for the films, they are some of the greatest films of ALL time. I would HIGHLY recommend checking them out sometime for those of you that have not seen them. Make sure you have them time though as these films are also quite long(especially The Godfather Part II which is 3 hrs. 16 mins. in length before credits).

The movies are fabulous, with the music being quite emotional and impacting.

what if the GE judges have never seen the movies before... would this affect the idea of their show?

like, ive never seen the godfather trilogy so i have no clue what vito...vito, or luca brazi means... or the fishes or horses.... other then cool music i really wouldnt be able to follow it i dont think. i havent seen the show yet so this might not be the case, but who knows...

Then they probably won't get the flags.

Maybe the corps could put up a giant screen and show clips from the movie.

I didn't know that it was required that the judge must familiarize him/herself with the original pieces (not saying it's not true, I just didn't know)...I agree with the poster that said that each performance should stand on its own. It doesn't make sense that there should be prerequisites to a drum corps show...

It's not required. It is, however, a very good thing to do.

and why is that? if anything i think its a bad thing, it'll create too many comparisons to the original. and what does prior knowledge help anyway?

In the case of the Godfather, it's a chance to see a classic piece of cinema.

Part III might be a little bit of a letdown, but the original and Part II are good stuff.

Knowing how well or poorly the source music is portrayed. In a nutshell.

that should never IMO be a concern. corps dont create pieces to the specifications of the originals, thats why they are arrangments. you can do what you want with them.