Should malfunctioning amps hurt a corps score?

Should malfunctioning Amps hurt the scores?  

314 members have voted

1. 1. Should a malfunction amp during a performance hurt a corps score?

• Yes...Its distracting and takes away from the performance...They should be scored accordingly.
    • No...It is out of their control and they should not be penalized because of it.
    • I dont care...I'm just tired of talking about the amps!

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep they should be judged accordingly. They want to "have their cake and eat it too", they should be held accountable for their malfunctions. A good sound tech would be able to fix the problem, IF this was something that should be in drum corps, but since IMO, it shouldn't be, you will always have problems, due to underlying issues, out of your control. As someone who has been involved with running sound, it is just not the place for it in drum corps imo. You will always have problems. So since they want to allow people to "run it from the stands", they will find out...soon enough, that won't fix the problem either.

no offense to the 31 of you who voted yes, but I think that's just plain ridiculous.

that's like saying you would take a touchdown off a football team's score because the ball went flat.

the corps performs at the level they perform, and should be judged accordingly. Not by electrical malfunction.

Honestly, I'm sort of appalled at the number of yes votes this poll has gotten.

~>conner

DCP burp.

~>conner

Edited by PhantomR

no offense to the 31 of you who voted yes, but I think that's just plain ridiculous.

that's like saying you would take a touchdown off a football team's score because the ball went flat.

the corps performs at the level they perform, and should be judged accordingly. Not by electrical malfunction.

~>conner

This is a concept that they integrated into their show... its part of their design...if a horn wasnt maintained properly and was played flat the whole performance would that affect the score...ur darn right it would...its up to them to make sure everything is up to par so that they put out the best product possible

You choose to use amplification, you reap the rewards or sustain the punishment. If the amps work great, and you're able to enhance the sound, should you get full credit for the result? - Absolutely. Likewise, if the amps crash and the result is a disaster, you have to suffer as well.

There are consequences to all of our free-will choices!

~>conner

Connor, allow me to provide a different equipment metaphor.

Nike introduces (and the Olympic committee approves) a new bodysuit that is designed such that it can shave several tenths of a second off of a swimmer's time. However, after testing, there is evidence that a certain percentage of the time, due to whatever reason (poor fit, design flaw) it actually increases drag on a swimmer.

It is the individual swimmer's choice as to whether or not to use or not use a suit. They know the possible benefit and the possible risk. However, if a swimmer does use said suit, they can't get lost time back should it go awry.

My metaphor, as with all metaphors, is imperfect, but I feel it more accurately reflects the "field" nature of drum corps while retaining the objectivity that hopefully judges are looking for.

Eh, it's no big news that I support amps and their use. But if an amp goes bad, produces feedback, or cuts in and out, I certainly do feel that should be taken into account, most likely in the effect caption. The big question is 'how much?' Realistically, a tenth or two is the most that I can see being deducted, unless the problems lasted throughout the show. And if we're only taking tenths off, who's to say the judges aren't including it in the score already?

Edited by Maedhros

I think some want to penalize a corps for a malfunctioning amp. What would happen if the bottom bass drum rack broke and they couldn't march the whole show, or a cymbal stand fell during a soft ballad part, or there was a guard mix up and halft the line didn't get the flag change and hit the feild with no equip?

I don't think judges penalize for these occurances, but what considerations do they make? Good question.

I think scores should reflect all malfunctions, it's only fair. But the scoring difference should only reflect loss of effect, not be a penalty. ie ignore amp feedback, but don't give credit for a part that is not fully audible because of amp malfunction.