Should malfunctioning amps hurt a corps score?

Should malfunctioning Amps hurt the scores?  

314 members have voted

1. 1. Should a malfunction amp during a performance hurt a corps score?

• Yes...Its distracting and takes away from the performance...They should be scored accordingly.
    • No...It is out of their control and they should not be penalized because of it.
    • I dont care...I'm just tired of talking about the amps!

the argument can be said about props, or even singing..

all are allowed, but how is it scored? there are no props caption, there are no electronics caption.. there are no singing captions.

it should fall under GE.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a concept that they integrated into their show... its part of their design...if a horn wasnt maintained properly and was played flat the whole performance would that affect the score...ur darn right it would...its up to them to make sure everything is up to par so that they put out the best product possible

the mellophone is a person performing said instrument.

performers have no control over amplification, other than the sound they put through it. Electronics have a mind of their own.

~>conner

the argument can be said about props, or even singing..

all are allowed, but how is it scored? there are no props caption, there are no electronics caption.. there are no singing captions.

it should fall under GE.

I beg tio differ. They can elect NOT to use them. If they can't use 'em right they shouldn't use them at all.

I think some want to penalize a corps for a malfunctioning amp. What would happen if the bottom bass drum rack broke and they couldn't march the whole show, or a cymbal stand fell during a soft ballad part, or there was a guard mix up and halft the line didn't get the flag change and hit the feild with no equip?

It's all relative. A cymbal stand falling is just one moment of distraction. So is a burst of feedback quickly throttled at the mixing board, like Spirit had in Columbia.

Now, missing guard equipment could be minor or major. How many people don't have equipment, one or 20? How long are they performing empty-handed, a few seconds or a few minutes? That could detract from a lot of effects in the extreme case. So could several minutes of loudly malfunctioning amps.

I think scores should reflect all malfunctions, it's only fair. But the scoring difference should only reflect loss of effect, not be a penalty. ie ignore amp feedback, but don't give credit for a part that is not fully audible because of amp malfunction.

I think the good, the bad and the ugly must all be judged. Remember, it's all within the control of the corps. They choose whether or not to use amps. If they do, they can turn a malfunctioning channel off at any time during their performance.

YES!! It should affect the score. Maybe not just yet, as the corps and DCI are still in the learning stages of using them, but I would say that starting next year some measure of judging the amplification/sound should go into effect.

My preference would be for them to judge it on the General Effect Music sheet.

If you want amplification of pit, voice, and narration, then each corps and DCI should be held accountable for their knowledge of this equipment and their ability to use it. I am still very understanding about some of the problems that occur to this point, but come year 3 of the project and I know my patience will wear thin, as will that of most fans. Either get it, or GET RID OF IT!

Jonathan

The question was recently posed about corps and their malfunctioning amps. Apparently the judging community has not deemed it appropriate to hold it against them in the scoring department. Should they???

Without to much suprise I voted that malfunctioning amps should hurt a corps score. I feel it should be in the GE area of scoring.

I hope the occasional amp malfunction convinces the DCI BOD from voting "in" electronics. I will never forget an HS band competition that I attened where the electronic keyboard player completely lost sound to his keyboard after about one minute in to the show. What happened next ? Well, this poor guy had to stand there and continue to play....even though no one could here the music he was playing. I felt so bad for him.

As you can see, this amp/electronic stuff can produce some very negative results. Picture the aforementioned incident happening to a member of a top 12 div 1 corps on finals night.....yeah....what a great way to end a season full of hard work...

Triple Forte

Edited by Triple Forte

no offense to the 31 of you who voted yes, but I think that's just plain ridiculous.

that's like saying you would take a touchdown off a football team's score because the ball went flat.

the corps performs at the level they perform, and should be judged accordingly. Not by electrical malfunction.

Honestly, I'm sort of appalled at the number of yes votes this poll has gotten.

~>conner

the amps will become a caption in themselves, called technical proficiency, and will be judged accordingly !

no offense to the 31 of you who voted yes, but I think that's just plain ridiculous.

that's like saying you would take a touchdown off a football team's score because the ball went flat.

~>conner

That would never happen in a real game anyway :blink:

If it's part of the performance and affects how the performance is communicated to the judges and the audience - of course it should be assessed.

Electronics do not have a mind of their own - they're governed by the laws of physics. If staff members don't know how to operate them properly, or don't know when conditions prevent their reliable use, there should be a penalty.

Corps aren't given a "free pass" if the field is a little slippery or the wind blows guard equipment around - there's no reason amplification should be an exception.