Madison's Color Guard

What has happened with Madison’s Color Guard? The last 3 years they’ve had decent scores. This year is reminiscent of 2002 scores. Are they that bad? Where did Jennifer what’s her name go? Madison is loosing 2 points each night due to poor color guard scores, last night Blue Stars beat them in Color Guard.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was thinking about 2002 when I saw the colorguard scores also....the Madison Scouts could be in trouble if they aren't careful, because they might actually have to fight to stay in the Top 12, but I'm hoping for the best!

I was at Port Huron yesterday and I saw the corps. I'm not a color guard person so I couldn't tell you what is wrong with this guard, but I'm pretty sure they're at least not in the same category as the 2002 version. I remember back in 2002 watching Madison every chance I could, but when I didn't really watch the guard. Then during finals week someone told me, "next time watch the guard, you'll know what everyone's talking about". And it was true, it was very noticeable how not good they were, even to me!

Also, the corps re-did their ballad within the past few days, and there did seem to be a good portion of that ballad that didn't have work yet.

I viewed 3 min of their show on DCI Season Pass. It's all high camera and the guard is on 10 rifles and 24 flags, then 20 rifles and builds to 34.

I can tell you it's a high demad book, it's just not clean by a long shot.

(This holds true for the rest of the corp)

Plug in your SCV 1999 DVD to see what Scouts are like. (no kidding)

The good news is, they have an Outstanding show much better then the corps and guards they are getting beat by. But Scouts look like they are weeks behind their compitition.

Now, how long will it take them to clean? If it ever does get clean, they can top all the right corps.

Side Note: The Drill is Awsome.

I spoke with one of the guard vets this past Saturday, and he said that Mark Metzger (their new designer) was meeting the corps (I think) later that evening at the Columba show. He's the current director of James Logan Hgh School winterguard (WGI Scholastic World champs this past season), and I really hope that he can help them improve in a limited time frame. Their guard work and choreography isn't finished just yet. Plus, I think that they have a lot of fairly young rookies this season.

Jennifo is no longer with the corps (I don't know why). I think she was helping to transition the program over to Lionell Moore's and Toby Leikness' leadership last season. I was told that Lionell was briefly with them, but I don't know if he will return. I saw Toby during their warm-up this Saturday.

I hope this helps explain things a little bit.

Madison had terrific scores last year?

sure... if you consider a 12th place guard with a 6th place corps terrific, then yes, they've been "terrific" the past 3 years.

~>conner

Madison had terrific scores last year?

sure... if you consider a 12th place guard with a 6th place corps terrific, then yes, they've been "terrific" the past 3 years.

~>conner

What has happened with Madison’s Color Guard? The last 3 years they’ve had decent scores. This year is reminiscent of 2002 scores. Are they that bad? Where did Jennifer what’s her name go? Madison is loosing 2 points each night due to poor color guard scores, last night Blue Stars beat them in Color Guard.

heh.

I'm not going to lie, I thought I saw a terrific instead of decent.

but still, 12th place guard in a 6th place corps is still pretty sub-par... definetely the weak section of the corps.

~>conner

When I say that I barely noticed Madison's guard on Saturday night or remember very little of their work, keep in mind that I'm a guard guy and concentrate my viewing efforts on that section of the corps. At present, the guys, though showing some good individual talent, have not yet coalesced into a cohesive unit that forcefully and commandingly portrays the primal theme of the show. They are not a real presence on the field. Some of this can probably be attributed to an incomplete book that will, obviously, be fleshed out as the season progresses and hopefully take on greater demand and impact. But, a great deal of time is spent on body movement and dance rather than equipment work, which could also be hurting their scores. I don't see this guard in the same league as the longsuffering unit from 2002, but it does appear to be a rather young and inexperienced group of performers.

On a positive note, the great soloist from the past two seasons, Jose Negron, is back and is prominently featured once again. In fact, he may be somewhat overused as he performs solo work throughout most of the show (though I'm not really sure what he's supposed to represent or portray).

Edited by ChicagoFan