Madison's Color Guard

Judging drill is not just a matter of discriminating clean from dirty. If it were, a monkey could do it. You have to have an appreciation of the relative difficulty of different maneuvers. You can't get that from observation alone, you have to experience it.

I'm no expert in MB, but my guess is that DCI shows consistently explore levels of difficulty and kinds of difficulty that are rarely found in band shows.

When you consider multiple simultaneous demands, it becomes much trickier. You cannot appreciate how difficult it is to play a high G marching backwards at 180 bpm unless you have actually done it. Even if you have played a high G marching backwards at 120 bpm or 150 bpm, it's difficult to extrapolate because the interactions between different responsibilities can be very complex.

For me, playing second soprano was a piece of cake but playing lead was very difficult. The actual notes were only a third to a fifth higher and were easy enough standing still, but combined with the demands of marching made the overall task much harder.

Then you have to consider the performance pressure. When I marched, we had probably 15 or more competitions per year with crowds of 5000+. Then nats was usually about 20,000+ Is that typical for MB competition? I know that halftime shows can have huge crowds, but that generally is not a competition situation.

I understand that some bands may perform DCI level shows in front of large crowds, but in general I think the DCI experience is qualitatively much different than the typical MB.

p.s. I think that DCI judges should not only have DCI background, they should also be required to demonstrate performance proficiency in the captions they are judging. And wouldn't I love to be there when that happens :o

Well sir, I am sorry, but we'll have to agree to disagree, because I find many of the things you are saying to be just plain wrong in my world. And nothing you mentioned above is anything that a non-observer can't pick up on.

My high school band kids knew what it was like to play a high G marching backwards at 144 bpm...and we were by no means the only ones doing that sort of thing.

And as for your judging credentials thing....we'll just agree to disagree.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My high school band kids knew what it was like to play a high G marching backwards at 144 bpm...and we were by no means the only ones doing that sort of thing.

I'd like to see video of that. Can you post something on youtube (or a similar site)?

Or video of any HS band performing a show equivalent to the median (10th or 11th place) D1 corps at a similar level of execution/showmanship and under similar conditions.

I'm not doubting you word. I just want to see what I've been missing.

Edited by vferrera

I'd like to see video of that. Can you post something on youtube (or a similar site)?

Or video of any HS band performing a show equivalent to the median (10th or 11th place) D1 corps at a similar level of execution/showmanship and under similar conditions.

I'm not doubting you word. I just want to see what I've been missing.

I don't have a video to post on YouTube, but...a simple search for "Marching Band" yields many many videos. Some good, some decent, some bad, and some spectacular. The first band that comes up for me, Moanalua H.S, is pretty good. But I'm not interested in a "urinating" contest with you, so I'm not going to comb through show after show trying to find something that pleases you. If you search for "BOA" you might find some pretty good bands too.

Suffice it to say, I disagree with your assessments. I'm sure you'll get over it. :P

I don't have a video to post on YouTube, but...a simple search for "Marching Band" yields many many videos. Some good, some decent, some bad, and some spectacular. The first band that comes up for me, Moanalua H.S, is pretty good. But I'm not interested in a "urinating" contest with you, so I'm not going to comb through show after show trying to find something that pleases you. If you search for "BOA" you might find some pretty good bands too.

Suffice it to say, I disagree with your assessments. I'm sure you'll get over it. :P

Fortune Cookie say: "In urination contest, both party get wet"

I'll check it out. I'd really like to see YOUR band, though, just out of curiosity.

:OT:

Can we get back to Madison's guard please?

Fortune Cookie say: "In urination contest, both party get wet"

I'll check it out. I'd really like to see YOUR band, though, just out of curiosity.

Fair enough...as soon as I have the hardware and software necessary to convert VHS tape to digital format, I'll post a copy.

How come so many people don't list those? It makes is hard to get a frame of reference on where people are coming from, i.e. fan, FMM, current MM, parent, staff, etc.

Some current MM's corps have a no-post policy, so they are laying low.

Once again. I posted in haste. After working my backside off all weekend and really feeling the Madison brotherhood, I was not in the mood for bando's bashing the guard of the corps that I love so much.

That would be the reason for my spelling issues Roark. Thanks for pointing that out.

Edited by RCFKING

Once again. I posted in haste. After working my backside off all weekend and really feeling the Madison brotherhood, I was not in the mood for bando's bashing the guard of the corps that I love so much.

That would be the reason for my spelling issues Roark. Thanks for pointing that out.

yeah. you're right. I'm a bando.

sorry my parents wouldn't let me march this year... you know. I tried. Guess I'm just not as lucky as some people.

sorry for posting.

~>conner

WOW - talking about getting off the point, this post surely did.

Back on point - Last night Madison's guard finished behind Colts and Blue Stars. Some good explanations about the incomplete guard work and talent levels of the young men in the show, thanks to those who posted that type of info. For us Scout fans that can't make a show this year that's great info you posted.

The rest of you - send private messages to each other if you want to squabble. Some of us would like to discuss drum corps on here. Thank you!