Interesting development in the Amp world

I read this yesterday and thought that Hop is recognizing 1.) the need for "better than garage band" gear to get a good quality sound 2.) The experience that it takes to run that gear is higher than what most amatuers have and 3.) The lack of set-up time or "sound check" from venue to venue is problematic.

Unless you can preset the board and have everything just power up to those presets, the set up time allowed for each corps just isn't enough to get the best sound as you go from practice field to high school stadium to another practice field to a large stadium to practice field to a dome, etc.

It's a can of worms at best, at least Hop is looking for some professional help to make this work to the best that it can be for what it is.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hoppy says:

"If this was a normal environment, people would take hours to set up what we have to set up in minutes."

Does this say to you that amps don't belong in this kind of activity? Does to me....

:ph34r:

I read this yesterday and thought that Hop is recognizing 1.) the need for "better than garage band" gear to get a good quality sound 2.) The experience that it takes to run that gear is higher than what most amatuers have and 3.) The lack of set-up time or "sound check" from venue to venue is problematic.

Unless you can preset the board and have everything just power up to those presets, the set up time allowed for each corps just isn't enough to get the best sound as you go from practice field to high school stadium to another practice field to a large stadium to practice field to a dome, etc.

It's a can of worms at best, at least Hop is looking for some professional help to make this work to the best that it can be for what it is.

As someone who marched in an amped corps, I can say that the equipment being used is far from garage band quality. However, even if it was that wouldn't make the challenge any more or less difficult. Some are saying to expect a rule change lengthening the time to do a set up/sound check. They're not wrong, but although it makes my blood boil to say it; Don't be surprised if in 10 years there is a standard amp rig alreayd set up at every show and the corps just plug their mics and wireless recievers into it. Along with this there would have to be a set standard for mics and output levels of said mics. I know this opens up even more problems because of the programs and whatnot that are run on the corps mixers, but liken it to a rock group plugging into the house system of their performance venue.

Edited by lbjazz

Oh. I assumed that this meant there would be a "standard" setup by each show promoter:

Don't be surprised if in 10 years there is a standard amp rig alreayd set up at every show and the corps just plug their mics and wireless recievers into it. Along with this there would have to be a set standard for mics and output levels of said mics.

Sorry - my knowledge of how amps work is limited.

Mike

It would seem to me (and I am generally ambivilant about amps..BTW) that anything more thatn amping the pit, wich is relativly simple, will become oboslete..

Not because of what we here on DCP may think, mind you..

But beacuse it is simply to much of a pain in the ### and isnt worth the hassle!

Drum Corps are many things..practical being one of them. Why do you think that shows with massive props are relativly rare?

Just a thought

As someone who marched in an amped corps, I can say that the equipment being used is far from garage band quality. However, even if it was that wouldn't make the challenge any more or less difficult. Some are saying to expect a rule change lengthening the time to do a set up/sound check. They're not wrong, but although it makes my blood boil to say it; Don't be surprised if in 10 years there is a standard amp rig alreayd set up at every show and the corps just plug their mics and wireless recievers into it. Along with this there would have to be a set standard for mics and output levels of said mics. I know this opens up even more problems because of the programs and whatnot that are run on the corps mixers, but liken it to a rock group plugging into the house system of their performance venue.

I agree with you that the equipment is above average quality and the Cadets have invested a lot to upgrade from what they had last year, which from reading Hop's recent comments led partially to the need for upgrading the sound techs along with the gear.

The central system would solve some problems, create others (as would lengthening the set-up time for each corps).

I just hope that all of the corps that chose to go electric for this season can make them sound as transparent as possible in the current confines, since it's too late to turn back now as the song goes...

I just hope that all of the corps that chose to go electric for this season can make them sound as transparent as possible in the current confines, since it's too late to turn back now as the song goes...

Why is it too late? :ph34r: