Costs of an amp moratorium

7/16 - Orlando, FL

4 Boston Crusaders 84.700

7/19 - Salem, VA

3 Boston Crusaders 86.100

By that logic, those same gains would have to coincidentally go away the next show...

Wasn't it Semis where the guy said, "...the Beat Gener______", among other problems? Check those scores.

Or those gains could have stayed and they could have gotten some of the points back for the malfunctions. If the scores between those shows stayed the same then I would agree with your point, but the fact that they built upon that score doesn't do much for your argument.

As for the Crown thing I have no idea

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Or those gains could have stayed and they could have gotten some of the points back for the malfunctions. If the scores between those shows stayed the same then I would agree with your point, but the fact that they built upon that score doesn't do much for your argument.

As for the Crown thing I have no idea

With all due respect, a linear projection offers evidence. It's not conclusive by any stretch, but when an anomyle should be present and is not, the examination of the point is at least with merit.

For the crown part, I don't know the details. I was just hoping my memory would spark a thought and some research based on the prior post.

Since each corps has already had all this time to work out the kinks, I think they need to decide whether to judge them or take them off the field. By many accounts, amplification has not really been judged since its introduction. You could argue that they've been getting a free ride to work out the kinks and the problems aren't going away. It's time to decide if you want to start losing points for your bad amplification or simply leave it on the truck.

So, in other words, the moratorium accomplishes nothing (other than teasing fans with an amp-less experience, only to see it return the next summer).

Edited by Tekneek

There is hardly a complete free pass for things involving amplification. On some of the judges tapes last year the percussion judge made comments about the timing of the drum speak, and I believe either ensemble music or music GE made comments about the clarity of the bjork speak. Are technical issues being given a free pass? I honestly don't know considering I haven't listened to any judges tapes that involved technical issues (and I would venture to say that very few people on these forums that are discussing this whole debacle have either). But the voice IS being judged, at least on the few tapes I've listened to from last year.

Unfortunately, that judging commentary proves nothing.

In the early season of 2004, judges were explicitly instructed to give amplification problems a "free pass" temporarily (i.e. the first half of the season) while corps worked out the bugs. Judges were told to give credit for the positives, and ignore the negatives when arriving at their scores. They were also told to provide relevant commentary on amp-related issues within their captions.

Specifically, judges were instructed to remark on amp problems, but not score them.

Two things were supposed to change by mid-season 2004:

- the amp problems were supposed to improve

- the "free pass" was to end, and judges were supposed to assess the good. the bad and the ugly

Neither has happened yet, nearly two years later.

Edited by audiodb

Unfortunately, that judging commentary proves nothing.

In the early season of 2004, judges were explicitly instructed to give amplification problems a "free pass" temporarily (i.e. the first half of the season) while corps worked out the bugs. Judges were told to give credit for the positives, and ignore the negatives when arriving at their scores. They were also told to provide relevant commentary on amp-related issues within their captions.

Specifically, judges were instructed to remark on amp problems, but not score them.

Two things were supposed to change by mid-season 2004:

- the amp problems were supposed to improve

- the "free pass" was to end, and judges were supposed to assess the good. the bad and the ugly

Neither has happened yet, nearly two years later.

I would really be interested to know how you know that conclusively.. because right now, Ken, your assertions are coming across as nothing but pure speculation.

I guess I give people more credit to do what they say they're going to.

I presume (without conclusive proof) that they are.

You appear to presume (without conclusive proof) that they are not.

Stef

true, and it may pain me to say this, but they could have made the jumps in other areas.

i'd like to see the numbers on Crown that year when they had shortouts, as Boston's narration was less important to the shows success than Crown's singing

Crown's amps were completely dead in Allentown, rendering their vocalists inaudible. As a result, the first half of Seasons of Love had no melody. Beat Generation was relegated to half drum solo, half voids where the voice was supposed to be.

The day before:

East Rutherford, NJ - July 22, 2004:

Blue Devils 92.55

Cadets 91.65

Phantom Regiment 87.55

Bluecoats 87.3

Carolina Crown 86.0

Crossmen 84.0

Blue Knights 83.25

Mandarins 74.85

The day of:

Allentown, PA - July 23, 2004:

Cavaliers 92.15

Cadets 90.9

Phantom Regiment 87.625

Bluecoats 87.075

Carolina Crown 85.275

Glassmen 83.175

Colts 78.5

Mandarins 75.325

Southwind 74.075

Troopers 72.25

Their next show:

Charlotte, NC - July 27, 2004:

Blue Devils 94.0

Madison Scouts 89.2

Carolina Crown 86.35

Glassmen 85.05

Troopers 75.25

From the scores, you'd never know anything went wrong.

I would really be interested to know how you know that conclusively.. because right now, Ken, your assertions are coming across as nothing but pure speculation.

I guess I give people more credit to do what they say they're going to.

I presume (without conclusive proof) that they are.

You appear to presume (without conclusive proof) that they are not.

You want conclusive proof? Buy the APD of the Cadets' performance from Columbia, SC, when it becomes available (later today, I believe). Listen to it. Not only will that remove all doubt - the proceeds will help the Cadets pay for that sound tech they are currently seeking.

You want conclusive proof? Buy the APD of the Cadets' performance from Columbia, SC, when it becomes available (later today, I believe). Listen to it. Not only will that remove all doubt - the proceeds will help the Cadets pay for that sound tech they are currently seeking.

that is NOT conclusive proof.

You have NO IDEA that the gaffs weren't figured into their score.. perhaps the rest of that caption was so far advanced that it carried past the amplifier issues.

You are just making a statement based on assumption.

If it has feathers and swims, it must be a duck.

Well it could be a LOT of things based on that and all you've got to go on is feathers and swimming skills.

As for the APDs, I prefer to wait and see a show live before I declare it good, bad or indifferent.. and I will not use a recording to base my opinion on something I wasn't there to see.

How do YOU know that the recording equipment wasn't in error? YOU DON'T. You also don't know if what YOU heard as "distractingly poor" was even half as noticeable from the seats.

Recordings have a funny way of skewing what "really" happens live.

Recordings made a lot of people think Michael Bolton and Christopher Cross could sing.

Stef

How do YOU know that the recording equipment wasn't in error? YOU DON'T. You also don't know if what YOU heard as "distractingly poor" was even half as noticeable from the seats.

Ummmm... I'm pretty sure that... umm... :sshh: :sshh: