The Fall of The Cavaliers

Let me preface by saying that I don't mean this as a personal attack in any way: It seems to me, though, that any inability to hear melody is the fault of the listener, not the corps. How can you not hear melody in Four Corners, in Frameworks, in Spin Cycle? I'm not trying to say anythign about your musicianship or anything like that, but maybe for some reason you're not allowing yourself to enjoy the music.

Notice I started my discussion with Frameworks, I never mentioned Four Corners which happens to be one of my favorite shows (visually and musically)

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Cavaliers of 2006 are proving that with a few rings, and a top 2 finish in the last 5 years, it's acceptable to write music that makes no sense. Let's start this journey of poorly styled music in 2002 with everybody's favorite: Frameworks. Obviously this show made sense visually and "rocked everyone's world" but musically, I find myself lost and confused. 2003 saw another visually acceptable show with poor music choices, and I still find myself asking... Why? 2004 will give the "gods of drum corps" a break from criticizm seeing as how it's hard to musically screw up a straight forward concept like James Bond. 2005 saw a dull lifeless show trying desperately to connect with music that makes sense, but doesn't excite the senses. I'm not attacking the Cavaliers visual department, there's no sense in that. What I'm trying to say is that the Cavaliers would be just as good if they just left their horns on the busses.

Final Thoughts: Why build a machine if it's not going to do anything new?

I agree totally!! The proof should be in Sevierville Monday when the Cavaliers did their standstill. At the end NOBODY applauded. It may make sense visually, but can't you have both. I have not listened to an audio performance of the Cavies since the '90's. The only way it can make sense is with the visual and I am left wanting something from a musical standpoint.

Edited by tpt43

that is not the case..my best friend is in their baritone section..and i really tried my hardest to try and like this and last years shows.. and when seeing the visual package (there was a youtube link of 06) i was able to do so but musically, they dont make sense at all. and i am principal euph player at my university...not trying be conceited.. you questioned my knowledge. i think what you hear is not a good melody but rather since you apparently like the corps you try to enjoy the cool colors and effects they make with their writing that to me appear boring.

We all have our quirks. You start a discussion by blasting a successful drum corps without offering any point to your rant. That left me pretty confused.

It seems like the problem isn't what I attacked, but who I did... I guarantee you wouldn't have said a **** thing if I attacked the Seattle Cascades.

you questioned my knowledge.

Actually, I went out of my way to say that I was not questioning your knowledge

Really? Ugh...

Heh heh, it just goes to show how different tastes are.

I hated the 2004 Devils' show. For my money, to this day the 1988 and 1986 shows are my favourites.

I tend to agree. All season I couldn't wait to see the Blue Devils, then I did and was thoroughly let down. I'm hoping the Godfather doesn't leave me with the same feeling :(

It seems like the problem isn't what I attacked, but who I did... I guarantee you wouldn't have said a **** thing if I attacked the Seattle Cascades.

You've already learned the secret of DCP :P

Congratulations :)