Someone steals from the Vanguard

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If true, I think a fitting punishment might be to have the entire corps, including the Cadet corps, play in the arc in front of her house (or cell block, as the case may be).

She needs to let those kids look her in the eye, outside the walls of the bingo hall. She needs to see her victims and what that money was supposed to be for, and ask forgiveness.

unfortunately, it happens to more groups than you think. I know of at least 2 other instances where people stole thousands of dollars from a bingo program.................in one instance, said person was finally caught and SUPPOSEDLY paid back everything without involving the police. Unfortunately, they were a member of the corps they stole from and most people are unaware of that one of "their own" was robbing them blind. IN the other instance, the thief is dating the person in charge..........person in charge has been told countless times by many people about significant other's "habits" but perosn in charge refuses to believe it and so it's still happening. It's really just sad.

Amen. I know of what you speak. It is sad ... especially when there is no apparent remorse shown and the culprit continues to act as if nothing happened. Just another day in paradise.

Come on now . . . this is America & in America you're innocent until proven guilty.

I did the math.

The article states $50,000 is missing over the 10 year period she was in charge. That makes $5,000 a year.

Breaking it down further . . . the bingo operation lost approximately $416 per month.

During each month there were 4 bingo games each week. (4 games per week x 4 weeks per month = 16)

Divide the $416 into 16 games . . . that comes out to $26.00 per game that cannot be accounted for.

Having both played and worked bingo, I can tell you thounsands upon thousands of dollars change hands. The loss of $26 over the course of the evening, while unacceptable, is understandable in that nobody is perfect and there's any number of imperfect individuals with their fingers in the pot.

This woman may only be guilty of bad bookkeeping. It'll be an interesting story to follow.

Edited by The Girl

dude.

Just put them in her front yard in uniform and she'd probably punish herself. I wouldn't want to see them waiting for me next to the newspaper in the morning.

Word. When I marched I saw a lot of corps and groups within corps who thought that they looked tough and intimidating, but SCV's cymbal line is certifiably terrifying.

Come on now . . . this is America & in America you're innocent until proven guilty.

I did the math.

The article states $50,000 is missing over the 10 year period she was in charge. That makes $5,000 a year.

Breaking it down further . . . the bingo operation lost approximately $416 per month.

During each month there were 4 bingo games each week. (4 games per week x 4 weeks per month = 16)

Divide the $416 into 16 games . . . that comes out to $26.00 per game that cannot be accounted for.

Having both played and worked bingo, I can tell you thounsands upon thousands of dollars change hands. The loss of $26 over the course of the evening, while unacceptable, is understandable in that nobody is perfect and there's any number of imperfect individuals with their fingers in the pot.

This woman may only be guilty of bad bookkeeping. It'll be an interesting story to follow.

Bad bookkeeping ???

I think a fitting punishment is to make her raise funds to replace what she took and pay it back 5-fold. That way she will need to work for a long time to pay back - She may need to mortgage her house, but from what I know of San Jose prices, that should cover the cost. <**>

I did the math.

I have helped out at this bingo. One day when I was helping I was told to be particularly diligent in my counts because the night before the tally sheets and actual money count were off by about $700 (seven hundred). This happened on several occasions during the time I volunteered where the numbers were off (but usually by two or three hundred dollars at a time), which I was told sometimes happens, however the $700 discrepency that particular time was unusual. This was just in a span of 8 months. If you extrapolate that ...

If true, this is very wrong and very sad.

But no matter who it is, or what amounts are alleged to be taken, they should be innocent until proven guilty.