oddo

dennis d

hannum

hardimon

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not exactly a percussion guy, and call me a homer if you wish, but I have to say Nick Angelis (new Colts percussion head) has written some aggressive work this year, particularly in the final few minutes of the show. Much moreso than Colts have attempted in recent years, IMO. Anyone heard the Colts APD and can make comment on it?

Hopefully, he's treating kids like humans and not berating them in front people. Gotta build their confidence, not publicly humiliate them in front of a crowd just to look cool. BTW...I saw it happen in Atlanta when he was with Spirit.

I have to plug for Marty Hurley here - he wrote some really sweet stuff for Regiment from 75-92. Jim Wren is known for his brass arrangements at Regiment, but one has to wonder how different the heritage of Phantom might be had it not been for Marty.

The corps is playing the 1982 arrangement of Spartacus this summer as an encore piece...almost the same parts we played in 1981...good memories... :grouphug::worthy:

My favorites in addition to Marty, in no particular order...

Tom Aungst

Bret Kuhn

Tom Float

Ralph Hardimon

Mike Back (post-Float Spirit)

Mark Thurston

I agree on the Marty Hurley and Mike Back

Float

Hardimon (I actually was taught by him from when he consulted the Jax State line in the 90's)

Hannum

Hurley

Back

Silva (Freelancers)

Savage

Aungst

Campbell

Kuhn

Thurston

Modern:

Thurston

Float

Hardimon

Delucia (sometimes)

Sanford (maybe not modern but by far the best of the "in-between" period)

Vintage:

Jerry Shelmer

Bobby Thompson

Larry McCormick

Edited by Storkysr

Hopefully, he's treating kids like humans and not berating them in front people. Gotta build their confidence, not publicly humiliate them in front of a crowd just to look cool. BTW...I saw it happen in Atlanta when he was with Spirit.

I have seen this man take a VERY mediocre college drumline and turn it (in one year) into something that rivals the best college drumlines out there....very classy guy if you ask me

I know I'm biased, but Mike Back doesn't seem to get the recognition that he deserves! Just listen to Spirit from 1982 through 1990, especially 1985, and you'll be impressed by the writing, both the front ensemble and batterie.

All those other guys are OK too. :)

Edited by Beau R