Jester - Settling Rumors with fact

Jester scores a 37 and then a 35 huh!!!!! Improvement over last season... HMMMMMM!!!!!! These smaller corps make my point for me!!!! No more needs to be said!!!! They had what a week or a little more of rehearsals and not much improvement score wise.... Interesting!!!!!

Looking at your post history, seams the only reason you are on this board is to berate this group. <**>

Go Jester!

Edited by jeff danchik

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jester scores a 37 and then a 35 huh!!!!! Improvement over last season... HMMMMMM!!!!!! These smaller corps make my point for me!!!! No more needs to be said!!!! They had what a week or a little more of rehearsals and not much improvement score wise.... Interesting!!!!!

Better shut down Cascades too then by your (lack of) logic.

Folks I don't know what axe this individual has to grind with Jester, neither do I care. I'd just advocate ignoring him. If this is how he views div 3 corps he should be elsewhere on DCP.

You really think alot of your self, don't you? :feednotroll:

I overheard someone on staff from another Div 3 corps say about Jester, "they are the bravest corps on the field this year."

I overheard someone on staff from another Div 3 corps say about Jester, "they are the bravest corps on the field this year."

Actually, they've been facing the storm for a while now. To teach the kids to strive towards the same goal and work as a team are great stepping stones that they will be able to incorporate in their everyday lives when they're long past the age of participating in DCI is admirable.

The only person that keeps score on you is yourself.............

In 2003, we at the San Diego Alliance fielded 31 members; that was down from ~35 in 2002. Both seasons were considered successful by the staff and members (even more so, I'd say, than 2001, when we had well over 40 members), despite the declining numbers. In fact, in 2003, with our six horns (!), we managed to break into Box 5 in some subcaptions, including brass, and set a new high score for the corps. I'm very proud that we were able to accomplish that, and with the smallest competing corps in Div II/III (all right, tied for smallest: the Quebec Alliance also had 31 members-- but more horns!).

We had a great program planned for 2004 (and a staff to match), and we did a lot of aggressive recruiting. For whatever reason, it got us nowhere, and by Memorial Day, with the 18 or so faithful members we'd had since January, we decided to close up shop. It was a hard decision, and I suppose we could've rewritten music and drill to do an exhibition tour of SoCal, but I don't think any of us was interested in doing that. We were a competitive corps, and we'd gotten used to being one. It wasn't financially viable, either, for us to try to continue. By the end of that Saturday, we'd placed as many kids as possible with other corps, mostly Pacific Crest and Impulse, and did what we could to get them to those corps as fast as possible, where they represented Alliance and themselves admirably. It's unlikely that we'll field again, unfortunately, for one reason: We can't seem to get the kids.

It's definitely true that few kids want to commit to marching a corps that hasn't already proven itself. They're not interested in "building," for the most part; they want the immediate gratification of being in a "good" corps, and I can't totally blame them. The presence of Esperanza in our backyard wasn't really the problem, either. There are plenty of kids in San Diego to go around, and plenty of them had either left or been turned away by Esperanza, so the resources were there. We just couldn't take advantage of them, somehow. The mere presence of kids in an area is no guarantee of getting them to march, and neither is teaching at their school, or establishing relationships with their band directors, or manning recruiting tables at band shows, all of which we did.

I can completely identify with the kid who reported on those two disastrous Jester camps. I know that's exactly how a lot of our members must've felt in 2004 (and even 2003, at times, which makes the final product that much more remarkable), and certainly how I felt myself when I'd show up to find the same five horns wondering when some other potential members were going to join them. It was awful to know what we were all thinking, and yet be unable to offer any real comfort. It was sad when we shut it down on Memorial Day weekend, but for me, it was also a relief to get it over with. I hated seeing the veiled disappointment in their faces week after week, but was equally proud of them when they still did all they could to pull it together. They tried to recruit, too -- what recruiting could be better? -- but it just didn't happen. And now the staff has gone its separate ways, and I don't get emails from our former members anymore asking "When are we coming back?" Two years after we shut down, it's still a little hard to talk about. I even have a hard time these days listening to the music I'd spent months going over with a fine-toothed comb. I still love it, but the assocations are just too strong.

So I feel for Jester, I really do, and I see a lot of similarities between their situation and ours. Like us, I'm sure they're doing everything in the power to field the best corps they can. What else can you do but keep trying? If you have to go down, Jester, go down fighting.

Well, small corps should still always strive to grow and improve. No corps should make it a goal to have only 30 members.

If a corps is consistantly having trouble staying alive they need to take an honest look at the organization and be realistic. I'm not saying there shouldn't be Div 3 corps, but some of them are actually robbing their students of a summer that might have been more productive and educational in their hometown marching band or at a better managed corps. This is the case in states like Texas where there are insanely good high school programs that rival Div 1 corps in quality.

For example, when a drumline hits the field with 2 snares and one quad, those kids are not getting the experience and education they deserve. When a corps fields just 2 members of a colorguard, they are also missing out on what drum corps was designed to offer. I don't see how it could be fun! But maybe they just don't know what they're missing! :)

Edited by headbox

I think some people forget that Div 3 corps do work hard.. and every corps goes up and down in score from BD to Crossmen To Pioneer To ECJ to Revolution and then to Jester.. its based on opinion.. These kids have just as much passion and work just as hard as the guys in DIV 1. Div 3 allows the young kids to get exposure and learn.. Div 1 is for the ppl who have already gone through the process.. Dont expect these kids to be as good as Div 1 they are just learning and doing the best they know how.. I think a lot of these corps are good to watch because you see the kids go off the field smiling .... and I think thats all that matters is that the kids are enjoying it.. it makes me proud to have marched DIV 3. As long as the kids in the orginization are doing there best and getting the most out of it.. Then scores mean NOTHING. They are just a number on a page. When the kids get off the field and feel good then they did there job and thats all that matters.

You know my first year in corps I was the only 2nd soprano by the end of the season.. That sure hurt my educational growth. I probably should have stayed home or marched elsewhere instead of having my summer robbed...Who knows what I would have done had I marched a more established corps...

Trivia: Many Renegades were spotted wearing Jester shirts this weekend.

True story.

Lee

Guy who respects people who refuse to give up no matter what the odds are against them.