What turned a corps around

In 1973 Westshoremen were inactive. The following year they reformed and came in last at DCA. 1982 they came in 2nd place, less than two points behind the winning corps. (Actually Westshore had been winning all year and Sunrisers caught up to them. If DCA had been 2 weeks earlier... )

So What The <bleep> happened that a dead ### last place corps almost won it all in a space of nine seasons. Here's my list for this corps:

1) Had large percentage of rookies first few years who stayed with the pain for the good of the corps.

2) BM Larry Hershman set realistic goals during the tough years. We went against the DCA big boys and got clobbered. So we heard "#### the other corps, just top last weeks scores" and "Yeah they beat us, they've been around longer. We're not ready to beat them (pause) YET!"

3) Nothing succeeds like success. As we got better and became an "up and coming" corps more vets from other corps started joining.

4) Improve the staff as the corps improves. Went from local HS directors to likes of John Flowers (drums), Ray Eyler (horns) and Frank Dorrite(sp!) (horns/charts).

5) Good luck helps. 1975 Yankee Rebels had #1 drum line while whole corps came in 6th. Two years later the corps was gone and lot of the drum line was with us. Our drum line suddenly went from the weak poit to the anchor of the corps. Anchor as in being #### good and showing how to have a winners attitude.

6) I left and they got REAL good.

Looking for people with similar experiences or stories.

In 1973 Westshoremen were inactive. The following year they reformed and came in last at DCA. 1982 they came in 2nd place, less than two points behind the winning corps. (Actually Westshore had been winning all year and Sunrisers caught up to them. If DCA had been 2 weeks earlier... )

So What The <bleep> happened that a dead ### last place corps almost won it all in a space of nine seasons. Here's my list for this corps:

1) Had large percentage of rookies first few years who stayed with the pain for the good of the corps.

2) BM Larry Hershman set realistic goals during the tough years. We went against the DCA big boys and got clobbered. So we heard "#### the other corps, just top last weeks scores" and "Yeah they beat us, they've been around longer. We're not ready to beat them (pause) YET!"

3) Nothing succeeds like success. As we got better and became an "up and coming" corps more vets from other corps started joining.

4) Improve the staff as the corps improves. Went from local HS directors to likes of John Flowers (drums), Ray Eyler (horns) and Frank Dorrite(sp!) (horns/charts).

5) Good luck helps. 1975 Yankee Rebels had #1 drum line while whole corps came in 6th. Two years later the corps was gone and lot of the drum line was with us. Our drum line suddenly went from the weak poit to the anchor of the corps. Anchor as in being #### good and showing how to have a winners attitude.

6) I left and they got REAL good.

Looking for people with similar experiences or stories.

Sunrisers went from bottom of the barrel in '74. I think we were in 9th place at finals with a score of 59, yes 59! Three years later were DCA Champs in '77, then '78, '82,'83.

There were many reasons and people, but the key person in my mind was the new director Mike DeLorenzo in '75. He used to direct the Purple Lancers. 3 of his kids were in Sun. He was a director, great business manager and a leader, not to mention human being.

Some of the first key decisions were getting some great instructors, the first being Dennis DeLucia. Dennis wrote and then brought in a great staff of technicians, Brian Callahan, Rich Cesani, Jim Mallen and a few home grown ones like Dave China and Larry Visconti. We were perc champs in '77, 78, 79, 81, 82, 83.

He brought in some great people in marching and horns too.

Just a great manager.

Sunrisers went from bottom of the barrel in '74. I think we were in 9th place at finals with a score of 59, yes 59! Three years later were DCA Champs in '77, then '78, '82,'83.

There were many reasons and people, but the key person in my mind was the new director Mike DeLorenzo in '75. He used to direct the Purple Lancers. 3 of his kids were in Sun. He was a director, great business manager and a leader, not to mention human being.

Some of the first key decisions were getting some great instructors, the first being Dennis DeLucia. Dennis wrote and then brought in a great staff of technicians, Brian Callahan, Rich Cesani, Jim Mallen and a few home grown ones like Dave China and Larry Visconti. We were perc champs in '77, 78, 79, 81, 82, 83.

He brought in some great people in marching and horns too.

Just a great manager.

Mike & Jaque D.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::blink:

I'm with Joe and Wayne on this one. "Mr. D" was the key guy for Sun those years.

Fran

Reading Buccaneers - Jimmy Gruber - That man did everything to help Reading stay alive. It worked. Also, I remember in 95 (i think), Joel Miller (Great guy!) giving us the breakdown of how the corps was going to manage its debt and get on the right track. It was like a tough love seminar. The plan worked. There were people behind the scenes helping Jimmy off and on but it seemed like mostly him in the beginning. Jimmy is a special guy. thanks to him, I had the opportunity to come in 4th place! (too old and too many kids to march now, :( ).

Edit for clarification

Edited by RFPADirector

Sun and Buccs in the 70s came to mind as I typed the original post.

Sun was one of the "other corps" when I started in 74 and then in 77.... well WOW :wall:

Buccs 78 was a down year for them and we beat them twice (first time in corps history). Pre-season 1979 we thought we would finally start knocking them off consistantly and get that blue monkey off our backs. Then we saw Buccs at the first show in '79. Most said phrase was "OH ####!!! Well not this year." :(

Edited by JimF-xWSMBari

Reading Buccaneers - Jimmy Gruber - That man did everything to help Reading stay alive. It worked. Also, I remember in 95 (i think), Joel Miller (Great guy!) giving us the breakdown of how the corps was going to manage its debt and get on the right track. It was like a tough love seminar. The plan worked. There were people behind the scenes helping Jimmy off and on but it seemed like mostly him in the beginning. Jimmy is a special guy. thanks to him, I had the opportunity to come in 4th place! (too old and too many kids to march now, :( ).

Edit for clarification

I honestly believe if it was not for the two guys you mentioned I would never have had the oppurtunity to even march with my hometown corps.

Thank you! :wall:

1994 into 1995 Westshore.

massive recruiting of recent vets. a director who had money ( little did we know where it came from). recruiting from the bands we taught.

getting good staff in place.

10th to 2nd.