Best musical tags....

I really liked Regiment 1997 - a great added ending for finals week

I'd put this at the top of my list.

I had no idea that it was only added for finals week. Ending the show with the loud finish would've just sounded weird to me. Not to mention how short the show would've been.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, it does get pretty loud again with that monster crescendo, but I also had no idea that was added for finals week for a long time (a good thing, since they performed it at the same level as the rest of the show).

To clarify my earlier post and add to it - I agree with pretty much everyone and every tag that has been listed - all great endings. I still think my absolute favorite (so far) is SCV 2000 - the soft ending with the corps retreating backfield in a mirror of the opening set of the show.

From a drummer's standpoint, the Blue Devils' "darrls bars" in the classic ending sets were great, but when I marched, 27's "Seahawk" tag was the one everybody loved.

I'd put this at the top of my list.

I had no idea that it was only added for finals week. Ending the show with the loud finish would've just sounded weird to me. Not to mention how short the show would've been.

I'm pretty sure that tag ending, with the sop solo and crescendo, is how The Ring actually ends. I saw Phantom earlier in the season, but I can't remember the ending they had then. I do think it's an underrated show.

For my money, the best ending of all time is 1986 Blue Devils, hands down. Nothing else comes close.

Others I have really liked...

2003 Phantom. The build back into the Cannon was masterful writing, musically. The drill was great through the wedge...the rest didn't do anything for me, but I din't care, as the music was so good.

2000 Cadets. This was the "complete package" ending...from the company frount out. Special props for almost 60 seconds of 7-count moves one right after the other.

1995 Blue Devils. Yes, dissonance can be an ending. I dare you to find even one single break in the brass sound.

1992 Blue Devils. Look up "hot" in the dictionary, and you'll see this listed.

1991 Phantom Regiment. Still, pound for pound, my favorite PR show.

1986 Suncoast Sound (yea, yea...I marched it). We used to call it "Midnight in Miami on Crack".

1995 Blue Devils. Yes, dissonance can be an ending. I dare you to find even one single break in the brass sound.

:wall:

I'm listening to it right now..for about the 20th time

I'll also add that I think the snare book for the entire show sounds like a blast

Edited by JMS0527

Have to give props to both the '79 Troopers and '79 Guardsmen; both their Finals shows had outstanding endings. The crowd reaction to Troopers' soprano valve trill and low brass "answer" at the end of their show is out of this world. Guardsmen is classic all out DC. As far as muscical tags, I've always loved SCV's signature drum lick (there are two versions); for our younger readers, listen to the end of SCV's show in '81 or the end of their opener in '85, and you'll hear them loud and clear. Happy 4th of July!

Edited by SCVAlumTofRGuy

'80 North Star. The guns had gone off and they put their sop soloist front and center and let him do his thing.