What do corps eat?

When I marched with Spirit, we had a whole lot of cereal, ravioli, and peanut butter. I can't remember anything else (other than the usual fruit selection after shows). Other than our home show where we really ate well, thanks to the alumni, we ate differently than it sounds like the big corps do. This isn't a reflection on the tour moms though, they worked real hard for us and I always appreciated them.

We had snack with Star one night and it was nice. I didn't get the idea they were eating like kings, but that they were doing alright.

Oh, and one morning I was so out of it that I ate breakfast with Northern Aurora. They didn't point it out and accepted my apologies when I finally became aware that I didn't know anybody that was around me. :)

Edited by Tekneek

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So the general concensus seems to be that in this day and age, most corps eat 4 meals a day and eat well. Correct?

Seems like way back whenever, corps weren't quite as fortunate. I know by 1986 the Velvet Knights fed us every day on tour, and I know that by 1989 the Santa Clara Vanguard was giving us 4 meals a day. Any idea when corps in general started taking better care of their kids food-wise?

You are correct . Somewhere around 93 they showed up for the first time . The staff did not reconize what it was in the meat line. So we lovingly named them " Butt Chops ". A name we had seen that day on a store in Anamosa , Iowa.

I cant believe they STILL call them Butt Chops / b**bs

And the Colts have fed the corps very well for years . It was great from day 1 i went to teach there and has always been a priorty for Greg and the admin. Saulsbury steak night was usually a fave dinner.

JB

Hey JB howyadoin?

13 years later and they still call 'em buttchops. Freakin' amazing!

We were spoiled in Blue Stars. Got one slice of balogna on white bread and BUTTER! mmmmmmm and dag gummit, we liked it! The occasional sloppy joes and spaghetti were always welcome. We even got french toast for breakfast sometimes. (thanks Dale)

Worst part was the tomaine from everyone washing their dishes in the same water. The corps couldn't afford paper plates so we had to carry our own dishes and stuff and it was usually better just to take the dirty dishes into the shower. YICK!

Oh my gawd!!!! Picturing you guys sussing out your dishes while washing your, wel you know. At least you know where the hair in your food came from. b**bs

Butter....mmmmmmmmmmm, they used to tell us stories about butter.

Oh my gawd!!!! Picturing you guys sussing out your dishes while washing your, wel you know. At least you know where the hair in your food came from. b**bs

Butter....mmmmmmmmmmm, they used to tell us stories about butter.

Good way for the whole corps to get sick! Mmmmm, hygiene!

I must say for the most part, we ate pretty well in Crossmen when I marched. It wasn't uncommon to have steak & eggs for breakfast or BBQ Half Chicken on the grill. Corn on the cob, baked beans and of course the corps favorite after every show....COOKIE SALAD and milk!

We even got snackes in between meals like granola bars or fruit.

I must say for the most part, we ate pretty well in Crossmen when I marched. It wasn't uncommon to have steak & eggs for breakfast or BBQ Half Chicken on the grill. Corn on the cob, baked beans and of course the corps favorite after every show....COOKIE SALAD and milk!

We even got snackes in between meals like granola bars or fruit.

Guess somewhere along the line as the demand to be competitive racheted up, corps figured out that well-fed kids perform and compete better, and made it a priority to feed well.

compete better, AND return for following seasons...

So the general concensus seems to be that in this day and age, most corps eat 4 meals a day and eat well. Correct?

Seems like way back whenever, corps weren't quite as fortunate. I know by 1986 the Velvet Knights fed us every day on tour, and I know that by 1989 the Santa Clara Vanguard was giving us 4 meals a day. Any idea when corps in general started taking better care of their kids food-wise?

Most corps feed their members 4 or 5 times a day. The largest meal of day sometimes comes after the show. Last season when I was on tour with Cavaliers, I had to cut back because i was gaining weight. 5,000 calories a day will do that to you. Also what a corps eats in morning depends entirely on previous nights travel time. I sure no one is starving, with theexception of Magic some years

From my wife who marched a Div. 2 corps in the early 90's:

Breakfast - french toast that broke the plastic fork (you'd need to take a handful of forks to breakfast with you because the forks would break), off-brand cereal, PB&J

Lunch - one day they marched a parade and came back to a lunch of ONE cracker and a piece of cheese :) Other days a "typical" lunch would be a tuna salad sandwich, PB&J, sometimes hot dogs, grilled cheese.

Dinner - "goopey chicken" sandwich (pretty much what it sounds like: canned chicken in some kind of disgusting 'gravey' slopped on a hamburger bun), Govt. cheese, sometimes pasta, PB&J, "mystery meat" (whatever was on hand).

She taught at a Div. 3 corps for a few years, and she chooses not to even go there. Needless to say her days marching she ate like a queen compared to her days teaching (she pretty much lived on bread and butter) ;)

My two years marching with Kiwanis Kavaliers we ate well. We'd often feed other staff & corps members who would come over looking for a handout. I guess a typical menu would look like:

Breakfast - frenchtoast, waffles, pancakes. On big show days our percussion caption head would cook us omelets made to order. We'd always have fresh fruit, bread w/ butter and PB, and multiple types of cereal.

Lunch - anything from fresh cold cuts to hamburgers, hotdogs, chicken, etc. Always fresh salad (for lunch and dinner) and bread with butter & PBJ.

Dinner - lasagna, all types of pasta, meats, chicken, every once in awhile fish, parogies. We'd occasional have a "bad" meal of meatloaf (which I don't like) and a Canadian dish called shepherd's pie. Basically shepherd's pie is when the cook staff wanted to get rid of all the left-overs in one shot, and would put meat, a veggie (or multiple) and then cover it all in mashed potatoes. I always grew up with the motto of I don't eat what I can't see, so I never ate that stuff and would instead feast on other left-overs. The good thing about those off nights was we knew that we would be eating sweet for the next several days.

All meals we had fresh milk and juice, and for breakfast we had orange juice at time.

Snack - some kind of (very) light meal or snack. After practice days we'd get ice cream, sometimes it would be cookies, sometimes it would be pasta or a sandwich.

One time we got a huge donation of chocolate cheese cake which we ate for after show snacks for a week or two. I used to make my wife jealous when I'd talk to her on the phone and 'complain' about eating lasgna again, or about other food stuff.

I know at Kiwanis Kavaliers we didn't eat as awesome as some corps, but we ate a heck of a lot better than others. I actually gained a little weight when I marched.

--

doug