This could be the year for the Blue Devils..........

I guess I never realized that the pit was a thorn in the corps side. To me, they have always played well, with a degree of maturity and musicality that I have never heard duplicated by any front ensemble anywhere. They are just a step above IMO. A lot of corps play together and play well, but nobody has the finesse of the Devil's pit. They blow my mind.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree, I was impressed with Phantom's perc the other night in Westminster.

I've been impressed with PR's drum line since Paul Rennick took the reigns.

Well, as I stated in another thread, I described the design of the Dev's show as "brilliant", which I have only done a handful of times regarding anyone's show. :)

Maybe I'm a beer drinker at a wine party lol. If you dont mind me asking, why do you think it is brilliant? If you've already answered this in another thread, kindly post the link :)

I don't know. Rich might have a pretty good point. I'm not a super duper Devils fan, but nobody's come close to beating them yet. Granted, they haven't been up against a lot of corps that they would have liked to test themselves with, but they're sure looking awful good right now. I don't know what their final placement will be, but I think it's safe to say that they're definately going to be up there.

Maybe I'm a beer drinker at a wine party lol. If you dont mind me asking, why do you think it is brilliant? If you've already answered this in another thread, kindly post the link :)

Quite simply, the entire "theme", design, and all other aspects flows nicely, in fact....IMO, flawlessly. Not once during the show did I ever "checkout", and then stumble back into it.

Anytime you can capture an audience in this fashion, "brilliant" come to mind easily.

I guess I never realized that the pit was a thorn in the corps side. To me, they have always played well, with a degree of maturity and musicality that I have never heard duplicated by any front ensemble anywhere. They are just a step above IMO. A lot of corps play together and play well, but nobody has the finesse of the Devil's pit. They blow my mind.

"Thorn" maybe to harsh, but it has been cumbersome on their overall percussion placement in recent years.

I've read some reviews that say the opener isn't that great...a little 'bland'. Has anyone else seen the show and can comment? I'm sure if this is the case, they are working on some changes. BD is known for surprising us with a new ending late in the season...and I have already heard they are working on something new for the ending this year...maybe the same can be said for the opener?

I've read some reviews that say the opener isn't that great...a little 'bland'. Has anyone else seen the show and can comment? I'm sure if this is the case, they are working on some changes. BD is known for surprising us with a new ending late in the season...and I have already heard they are working on something new for the ending this year...maybe the same can be said for the opener?

I have also read some reviews that said the exact opposite. Heck, I read one where the guy thought it was one of the coolest openers he has seen in a long time due to the "silent drill" (after hearing the silent parts on the preseason CD I can only imagine how cool this might be and am excited about seeing the show soon).

"Thorn" maybe to harsh, but it has been cumbersome on their overall percussion placement in recent years.

I always felt more like the snares were the weakness...certainly not the tenors or basses

As for the percussion title, I'm rooting for Phantom...simply because they've never taken that trophy before

I think BD has a great shot at winning percussion this year. Listening to their preseason CD really makes me want to see the show live. The percussion sounded amazing for that early in the season. The pit does a great job of backing the ensemble (and leading it at times).

I haven't heard too much from PR, but I can say that BD is looking really really good so far.

However, PR is already up to a 16.8 in percussion (16.5 tonight), so I think it'll be a good one to watch.

Edited by thelittleman