1982 scott johnson snare solo

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Doesn't surprise me that he hasn't warmed up...in 91 (SCV) he'd often show us how "easy" something was without even warming up...

One of my favorite Scott Johnson quotes was to the effect of "I warmed up in 1976" Nuff said. :lol:

One of my favorite Scott Johnson quotes was to the effect of "I warmed up in 1976" Nuff said. :lol:

Warmup? Warmup's are for weenies! :P Nice video!!! Actually, I know what Scott meant about warmups... My last 3 years of marching, I tuned our tenors during preshow warmups... (Geno, you might even remember?) Usually by the time I finished, the line was either playing show tunes or getting ready to head to the field!

Nothing beats the hand to ear connection, which requires a crap load of practice early on! Note: also the necessary technique cannot be acquired in warmup-that comes way before on your own time too...

:)

:P Makes him sound like Chuck Norris! But then again, the man clearly has the talent to back up any bragging.

Edited by Gentleman Marcher

Incredible speed and stick handling. Not so impressive w/basics ie control and 120bpm roll and/or flam quality. This is endemic in today's percussion prospects. Individual speed is, obviously impressive, but does not readily apply to drum corps batteries (unless you are fortunate enough tp play in BD) We have been playing Scott's charts for several years, and they are inciteful and innovative as well as musical. The challenge lies in producing drummers that are ready for that material. (Is anyone?)/

There's another bookmark to add :)

Happy to say I got to see it live !! :-) All the soloists were great that year and we had the winning Flugelhorn soloist. His name was Tom Holman. He came from the Crossmen where I am pretty sure he won the year before as well.

yeah, but......your just a horn player