When non-drum corps fans are (forced?) to be drum corps fans....

My wife is a longtime Broadway musical fan and violin player. In the last few years, our music choices have been slightly divergent b**bs I have had to endure a fraction of musicals on DVD, but I have (imposed?) drum corps DVDs on her.

As annoying as drum corps addiction can be, what do your partners/significant others/family find 'fun' in the shows you've shown them?

I've heard these comments:

Yowza? didn't they do that cool train thing and (of course) when a man loves a woman?

The double sided uniforms are interesting. Didn't they play 'Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy and 'the plane thing'?"

Didn't the Cavaliers play James Bond stuff at some point?

Granted, I assert my preferences through the DVDs I select.

*note: the 'fraction of musicals' comment was typed while I was writing this :lol:

I'm just interested to find out if 'out of the loop' people have the same opinion.

My wife (age 26) has no musical training at all...no band, no chorus...and couldn't sing her way out of a paper bag...so take all this with a grain....possibly a bag...of salt.

Dislikes:

1) She wishes that drum corps would play modern, popular music (e.g. Top 40, or modern rock and roll)...most wind ensemble or orchestral music is "boring" to her.

2) Talking and acting on the field is cheesy. (note: I have a more open mind on this than she does. :P )

1) Unique guard work. She still remembers Yamato from a few years ago at a local show, and seeing a lot of the II/III guards from the II/III showcase shows in NC a few years back.

2) Loud. BD 1996, Madison 1997, Cavaliers 2000....all were front row for both of us, and I could tell there was genuine excitement in the response to those shows.

3) Making drum corps "cool". Renegades at last years LMS-South communicated well to her, as that was the only corps she really seemed to "get" there.

I'm still trying to convert her. :)

Edited by bawker

My uncle, only ~ 20 yrs older than I. was an operatic tenor with the NY MET> He taught voice at Princeton. In 1967, when I was 16 yrs old, he overheard me playin '62 Skyliners-probably trying to get my then girlfiend to understand my passion. When he commented "That's the worst thing I've ever heard", I momentarily lost respect for myself and the DCworld. Partially because I was ensteeld by that inconsiderate comment, I have since endeavored to be the best that can be in this idiom, I still do.

Edited by Storkysr

My family doesn't get into it at all. They're always asking me "what does that shape mean." I try to explain that straighforward shapes (e.g. the sharks and jets from Cadets '94) and geometric crap all the time would get old real fast. Doesn't do much good.

But when they go with me to see drum corps live, they usually enjoy at least one thing going on in each show. Loud and fast helps. :)

My uncle, only ~ 20 yrs older than I. was an operatic tenor with the NY MET> He taught voice at Princeton. In 1967, when I was 16 yrs old, he overheard me playin '62 Skyliners-probably trying to get my then girlfiend to understand my passion. When he commented "That's the worst thing I've ever heard", I momentarily lost respect for myself and the DCworld. Partially because I was ensteeld by that inconsiderate comment, I have since endeavored to be the best that can be in this idiom, I still do.

Your uncle might really like some of the corps of today.

what do your partners/significant others/family find 'fun' in the shows you've shown them?

My daughter performing with the specific corps.

Like bawker's wife, my husband has no personal musical experience. He doesn't particularly enjoy drum corps (include marching band, high school concerts, etc. with that). I was impressed when he sat through quarterfinals in Denver. He did take a nap and get up and walk around, but he could even describe to me most of the 24 corps. I think the best part for him is watching his daughter perform.

What does he like? His daughter

What does he not like? Males in the guard (conservative in his views), Phantom’s rain sticks from last year

What does he not understand? Why his favorite show(s) aren’t the high scoring shows. Hmmm come to think of it, I don’t understand that part either.

The people I usually show Drum Corps to are usually very musically inclined. They say things like:

-Why do people in the audience keep yelling stuff at quiet parts?... it is really distracting (I agree)

-Narration is stupid

-Wow, that is really in tune... or... my, the intonation is suffering there

-Why do the judges have to be on the field, they spend more time running for their lives than watching the corps

-Those snares sound like they are hitting blocks of concrete

Most of them really enjoy it, however, it seems like they appreciate the difficulty and complexity of the activity more than they are entertained by it.