$27 for a 4 corps show?

Jamesdrum007, Like you, I also was a Friend of DCI coughing up $600 for my tix. This year though I chose to donate my money to my local corps and the three kids I housed. I felt a instant connection in the way my donation was being utilized, unlike at Friends of DCI where I felt it kind of got lost in the mix so to speak. Not that friends of DCI is a bad thing, but for myself, I really enjoyed having these kids in my home and making a difference in their lives. I didn't have the heart to take a dime from them. Just my way of giving back when others 20 years ago were doing the same for me.
Right on bstar, we all need to do this is give back what our former members gave to us, is so right. The sad thing that it has become, you can't join a DrumCorps unless Mommy & Daddy are both working & makeing at least $75.000. a piece a year. Back when, my folks had nothing when I joined Drum Corps, it was all thanks to former members helping me out.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i wonder how Five Star Brass made money.

in 2004, the last year of the hershey Spectacular, you had this lineup:

BD

SCV

Madison

Crossmen

Cap Regiment

Seattle

Bucs

Cabs

Brigs

Bush or CV i cant remember

and the Marines.

$18 for every seat in the house.

Hershey wasn't cheap. Five Star paid the DCI fees, negotiated with each senior corps, paid trans for the Marines...and every year somehow made some bucks.

imagine what they could have charged for that lineup, when 4 weeks earlier, in Allentown, you got 6 corps for $50, $35, and outside the 20's $15.

I have been waiting for your post on this topic Jeff.

A good question indeed.

Sounds like the sponsor decided to subsidize the cost of the tix and pass some of the savings along to the customer.

What a novel idea.

...and I'll bet the stands were always full.

OK..Mr conspiracy theroist. I geuss I won't be seeing you at any shows.

Have a nice life and say hi to Oliver Stone for me.

Hardly a conspiracy,.....I see Morganhills point...it is much more exciting to view the sectional warm-ups in the parking lot before the show for free than to sit through the whole show...this can be a plus for those who are not big fans of modern drum corps....this is what I do....warm-ups seem to never change,...its the on-field stuf that I would rather do without and at a cheaper price to boot.....you will not see me in the stands, but you can sure catch me in the parking lot B)

Jamesdrum007, Like you, I also was a Friend of DCI coughing up $600 for my tix. This year though I chose to donate my money to my local corps and the three kids I housed. I felt a instant connection in the way my donation was being utilized, unlike at Friends of DCI where I felt it kind of got lost in the mix so to speak. Not that friends of DCI is a bad thing, but for myself, I really enjoyed having these kids in my home and making a difference in their lives. I didn't have the heart to take a dime from them. Just my way of giving back when others 20 years ago were doing the same for me.

Excellent move bstar82! There are several reasons why attendance declines at drum corps shows; the cost of tix is one of them. I commend you. And regret that there will probably be more people like Felix who will not buy a ticket and opt instead to only watch the parking lot warmups.

Jim