What's with all the negativity?

Okay, I'll call it the Anti-Hopkins Borg. If you're part of the group I was talking about, it's pretty obvious. Just as obvious as the Cadets Borg. The comments about the cadets and hopkins are pretty patented on both sides of the spectrum. And like I've said in the my last 3 posts in this thread, if the impact of the anti-hopkins borg dissastisfaction is great enough, things will have to change.

OK - just let me cover that one off too....

If Hopkins gets off the woodwind, amp thing then I have no problem with him as a person, but I do disagree with his vision of what corps should be. I mean he's never kicked my cat or anything but he's not exactly on my Christmas card list either......

If Jeff Pearson starts bringing in laser light effects rule changes etc etc etc.....

Are there any other permutations I need to address or is labelling me as some kind of hater important? If so, please put me down as an amp-hater. I'll 'fess up to that one any time.

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If attendance was demonstrably higher it would be a sign that amps are popular though, wouldn't it?

No, I don't agree. It would just mean that DCI's marketing efforts are working. I hardly think a piece of equipment is going to make a noticable difference in attendance overall...up or down.

There are a LOT of factors that make up attendance...this year especially the price of fuel might make a difference in people hopping in their cars and driving 500+ miles to a show.

And why would it not be our business either way - is this secret information? Every corporation in the world has to announce their annual profit/loss.

I would guess DCI files it's required gov't paperwork...that is where any info that has to be made public would be.

There is a difference between expressing a negetive opinion and anonymously ranting. Should all have the right to express our opinion; YES! We should have the right to shout whatever we want at the top of our lungs, but we should also be responsible for what we are asying if someone were to hear/read it. As a self-identified lawyer I am sure you are familiar with the terms slander and libel, right? If this kid was saying things that were not true about Nikk than Nikk has just the same right to confront him and defend himself. Can he physically threaten and intimidate him: NO. Can he change his grade for stating his opinion: NO. Can he be arrestted for stating his opinion: obviosly not. But Nikk has just as much of a right to defend himself as that kid does to anonymously rant..... As a self-identified lawyer I figured you would know that.

I am assuming that you did not identify yourself as a lawyer, because it is apparent from your post that you know nothing about the law. Also, you are assuming facts in your hypothetical that were not stated in the original post. But, everyone is entitled to an opinion and there is no requirement that an opinion be informed.

Vic Russell

No, I don't agree. It would just mean that DCI's marketing efforts are working. I hardly think a piece of equipment is going to make a noticable difference in attendance overall...up or down.

There are a LOT of factors that make up attendance...this year especially the price of fuel might make a difference in people hopping in their cars and driving 500+ miles to a show.

If GM adds a piece of equipment to make car horns as loud inside the car as they are outside - people will stop buying GM vehicles. DCI is adding a piece of equipment that seriously impacts my enjoyment of drum corps. Reading these posts and talking to others that don't post here - I'm not alone. If they do announce attendance and it's down, I'm sure the fuel will be the only accepted explanation though. You know as well as I do how stats and facts can be used to make it all look rosy....

And for the record - I drove 10 hours round trip last weekend to see a DCA show (should have been 6 1/2 but that's another story....). It isn't the gas, it's the product.

I would guess DCI files it's required gov't paperwork...that is where any info that has to be made public would be.

What's so top-secret about attendance numbers? Come to that, I'm pretty sure any corporation or non-profit has to make their financial situation public (here in Canada anyway - I'm not a tax lawyer so somebody in the know please check me out on that.)

Jim

Attendance figures? What about figures for buying products (souvenirs and the like)?

It IS going to have an impact if those older folks (of which I'm one of them) decide to not buy the Legacy collection or not....

There's at least one person reading these boards who's sitting on the fence when it comes to forking out the dough for the DVDs...wouldn't it be nice if they did?

I'd like to think so

If GM adds a piece of equipment to make car horns as loud inside the car as they are outside - people will stop buying GM vehicles. DCI is adding a piece of equipment that seriously impacts my enjoyment of drum corps. Reading these posts and talking to others that don't post here - I'm not alone. If they do announce attendance and it's down, I'm sure the fuel will be the only accepted explanation though. You know as well as I do how stats and facts can be used to make it all look rosy....

I don't believe that over the total season at all DCI shows around the country the existence of amps will make any noticable difference up or down. Sure, there are anecdotal cases such as yours and the others you mention, but looking at the big picture I just don't buy amps/mics being a measurable factor in attendance.

And for the record - I drove 10 hours round trip last weekend to see a DCA show (should have been 6 1/2 but that's another story....). It isn't the gas, it's the product.

That's fine for you...looking at the totality of audience numbers it may be different. Don't know, of course. I have seen posts about people not being able to drive so far and so often as they used to due to the high cost of gas.

What's so top-secret about attendance numbers? Come to that, I'm pretty sure any corporation or non-profit has to make their financial situation public (here in Canada anyway - I'm not a tax lawyer so somebody in the know please check me out on that.)

That is what I mean by "filing the paperwork" as a non-profit corporation.

I also don't think that just because something is public it is my business to know.

I also don't think that just because something is public it is my business to know.

If we have a concern then we should make it our business.

And how many more people like me would it take to get DCI and you to think there was a mis-step somewhere along the line? I am not so egotistical to think that DCI would go into convulsions because Jim the bass tech from Canada wasn't around anymore......

Edited by kusankusho

Attendance figures? What about figures for buying products (souvenirs and the like)?

It IS going to have an impact if those older folks (of which I'm one of them) decide to not buy the Legacy collection or not....

There's at least one person reading these boards who's sitting on the fence when it comes to forking out the dough for the DVDs...wouldn't it be nice if they did?

I'd like to think so

Nothing stoppig them. IOn fact, if they are anti-amp...maybe that collection is what they should be buying. B)

Is DCI's marketing working? One anecdotal story that might mean nothing in and of itself...but could if it is repeated all over the country...

The band I arrage for had a carwash today, so I went over to get mine washed and help out....our piccolo section leader was talking about a movie she attended last night...and how there was a commercial for the DCI Quarterfinals broadcast...and she was recruiting some of the kids at the carwash to go with her.

One kid...one small band...if that sort of thing is repeated all over the country...good for DCI.