What's with all the negativity?

As I've said before, I will not boo the kids on the field, so when I see mics coming out with the pit equipment - it's hot dog time. To pay what they charge for DCI finals and miss 1/4 of the show because I personally don't enjoy it is my own choice, but it also becomes a waste of my money.

I also think that if a drop in income is felt at the gate and souvie stands the BoD may actually think some of the petitions and polls may be worth listening to. MikeD says DCI doesn't need to listen to the fans, and as long as we keep on showing up and forking over the cash, he's right. So this year I'm supporting Div 2-3 and DCA. Not one Div 1 show on my schedule, even though there is one just an hour and a half away. My beloved SCV will just have to kick butt without me.

I am a percussionist and personally as far as mics on the pit equipment go I love it, the pit is much more involved with the sound of the music this way. A few years ago they didn't really contribute much because of the nature of the instrument, but now they are a great part of the product. The vocals, narrations, and other mic uses I don't really care about, but i like the mic on the instruments

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Lance.

If the anti-Cadets borg thing is pointed at me or others like me then you are off-target. I've said before that I'm not anti-Cadets, but I am opposed to what the Cadets staff and mnagement are doing and seem bent on continuing to do. My problem is with the direction, not the corps itself - a fine line of distinction I realize, but real none the less.

If next year, Cadets yank all the narration and singing and do what they are capable of, I'll be on my feet for them and I guarantee every so-called "Cadet Hater" will do the same. If in that same year SCV starts singing and narrating - as much as I love SCV (see my sig) - I'm out in the souvie booths. The issue isn't any one corps it's the amping. It just happens that it's the Cadets that are in the forefront of amping and other new directions that I can't get along with right now.

Jim

My most enjoyable shows, and ones I put on my MP3 are the ones in which they didn't do anything but perform the heck out of great music and THAT made the shows, not the singing, not the props, etc. Afterall, when it all comes down to it, the music will outlast the visuals so shouldn't the music be the #1 priority of any show?

Ditto.

This is the epitome of a "me too" post. I want to love "Garfield" as much as I used to, but I despise what they are now doing that completely distracts me from the things I love about Drum Corps.

(Oh, and kusankusho, your sig line referring to SCV 1974 really sticks in my craw. <sad grin> Check my sig and you'll know why.)

Sorry my friend but from that first battery fill of Die Gotterdammerung - they had me!

personally I think the so called fan reactions this year are rediculous. This is really one of the best seasons in a while. Look at the top like eight corps they are all close, the competition is great, I think its exciting to see that many programs on the upswing. People love to hate who ever is on top, cadets right now are getting the reprocussions of being the champs last year, its the same way when anyone else wins. As far as drum corp changing goes, I would like for everyone who is complaining to pull a video from like nineteen eighty three and watch it, then watch a show from this year, any of them, and come back on this page and say you liked it better in eighty three. Sometimes you guys really sound like a bunch of old wash women complaining about that devil music called rock and roll that their kids are all listening to ^0^ , think about it. Either way one thing has definetly stayed the same, all the corps work their buts off to be great, the are all excellent musicians, and they all deserve the respect that they have worked for all summer, wether they are blue devils B, or the cadets, please show them some love they all deserve it! :)

To be fair...some of those people actually DO like 1983 better (or even earlier). Personally I have loved it all....from 64-05 (have not seen a live show yet in 06).

You do have the right but like I said the whole cold shoulder thing at shows is really sad, and like my question before, would you all be this upset if it were the cavies doing this instead of the cadets. No one seems to remember that it was the cadets who revolutionized the way drill was written making the path for what the cavaliers are now known for, and thats all they are doing again, oh yeah and as I said before pull a video from the eighties and tell me you wished it stayed the same.

I would react the same regardless of the corps. I, and many others, reacted negatively towards BD's narration last year. People also commented on Seattle's use of narration.

Crossmen this season is the first use of amped vocals that I thought ok. That both added to the show without taking away from the brass, percussion, and guard.

As for the Cadets show this year. To me the vocals aren't really the main or only problem. The show has to much going on (in a bad way) and is unfocused and confussing. They are some great moments and I enjoyed much of it, but I don't think they have a good overall show design/package.

Well this part....

...would be DCI's responsibility...not people sitting around in these forums.

Who is guarding the guards? (It sounds better in Latin but everyone says "huh?")

Or maybe you didn't care about Pres. Nixon and Watergate either. It's not my problem?????

You do have the right but like I said the whole cold shoulder thing at shows is really sad, and like my question before, would you all be this upset if it were the cavies doing this instead of the cadets. No one seems to remember that it was the cadets who revolutionized the way drill was written making the path for what the cavaliers are now known for, and thats all they are doing again, oh yeah and as I said before pull a video from the eighties and tell me you wished it stayed the same.

So you're saying that the audience must alwasy like what they see on the field? You'd be surprised how many shows I've been to where the cricket chirping were louder than the audience reaction. If people don't like what they see (or understand), they will let it be known. Probably many-o-off-Broadway shows closed early because of silence.

You know what? Even people who had never been to a show, never heard of drum corps as anything but better marching band, never heard a show except for whatever was in my car stereo at the time saw the Cadets and went "...?". In theory, these are the people who should enjoy a show like that. It's visually appealing, it's plot is well known, and these people are not jaded by opinion in drum corps. But every person who had never seen a show before thought the show was just blah compared to even Carolina Crown. One of my friends noted that only the drumline seemed to be playing and that whenever the horns tried to do something, someone was speaking in a strange British accent. Now, I know the hornline has a good book. And musically, I love the ballad and parts of White Rabbit. But obviously something isn't working. When you can turn newbies off to your program in one night and have them raving about how awesome Phantom Regiment or the Blue Devils were, you're not pushing the activity in the right direction. I did applaud the efforts of the performers and I respect them for joining a corps that isn't exactly a fan favorite in most places. And I can't deny that they did perform their show well. But what they were given to perform isn't the right way for drum corps to go. Not when you are turning off old AND completely unbiased new fans.

I would like for everyone who is complaining to pull a video from like nineteen eighty three and watch it, then watch a show from this year, any of them, and come back on this page and say you liked it better in eighty three.

Actually I for one would be willing to say that I prefer 1983 over this years (and last years activity). In the immortal words of Chuck Naphier "Its all about the melody!" 1983 saw the corps playing melodies in their music rather than sound bytes that are pieced together with, for the most part, poor transitions. Even corps like the Cadets that were pushing the envelope, played great melodies written brillantly. The smooth sounds of their hornline and the phrasing mastery displayed with this single corps was fantastic. This is not to mention SCV, Blue Devils, and many others that in 1983 were absolutely amazing!