What's with all the negativity?

Look at it this way...Suppose you have a busy life and live where you can only get to maybe one to two DCI shows a year. You leave work early, spend lots of $$$$ on gas, fight the traffic and finally get to the stadium. If you are lucky, you will have maybe 3 top 7 or 8 corps there. Maybe two really excite you and the rest......well, they seem to lack what you are looking and listening for. Picnic tables in drum corps, singing and narration don't do a thing for me. Turn those kids loose for heaven's sake and let them make the stadium seats vibrate like they used to.

This problem is not going to go away as show designers and DCI are going, if they haven't already, another direction. What they fail to realize is that if attendance at a show is say 3,000, I would say that 2,789 have no clue what the corps "themes" are all about. Those people don't keep up with drum corps the way we all do in here. So they sit there befuddled for the majority of the time.

I would also like to say that the main reason we complain about the corps shows is because we care. There are only so many drum corps and when 90% bore us, then something is drastically wrong. Just remember....it used to be that high school bands copied from drum corps. Now it's the opposite in a lot of cases. Maybe I'm wrong, but that is the way it seems to me.

Themes like "Alice in Wonderland"? The audience doesn't understand that? I was at a show, and a 6-year-old girl in front of me said "Look, it's the White Rabbit!" If she could get it...........

Please tell me a show this year that is so esoteric that is is incomprehensible. I haven't seen any.

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did they literally want the platter and everything?

Yes....the impact of polish on the budget created quite a stir

Jeff, when you go through and rip apart a person's post in many different parts with quotes, you are just using too much text to make a point. less is more if you want to argue. Every sentence you write is just one more thing to argue about. When you write a 10 paragraph essay, people aren't going to take the time to read, no matter how good it is.

Maybe you won't ......:worthy:

Yes, but by rubbing the posters face in the fact that amps are now legal, your response misses the point of the post. I know you are smart enough to have gotten the point, so your response really added nothing to the discussion.

MikeD's lack of relativism w/r/t mallets and amped vocals is really drivin' me up a wall here.

MikeD's lack of relativism w/r/t mallets and amped vocals is really drivin' me up a wall here.

MikeD believes what he believes, argues well and is a gentleman about it. I believe the polar opposite on most issues, but I do respect him, more than some folks whose point of view I share. We are not going to move him, and he's not going to move me. The debate, however, is fun! b**bs

Esp when we're on the right side B)

Esp when we're on the right side B)

I wasn't going to say that.... :sshh:

Did they literally want the platter and everything?

and the cutlery too :P

No they aren't. Stands have a good mix of old and new. Sure, some will always drop away over time...as has been the case even before DCI.

Hence the marketing to the HS/college band members. Those kids ARE the equivalent of the hundreds of corps members that existed "in the day"...only the bands exist in the thousands....and are in a constant renewing cycle as kids move through.

but are they staying past HS?

What I never understood is why people are generally disgusted with the activity and then come online to complain about it rather than just getting on with life if DCI doesn't do it for them anymore. For instance, if and when woodwinds become apart of DCI drum corps, I would leave the activity in its entirety. I would not sit on DCP and complain about how drum corps was ruined.

i for one would like it back.