Spokane. WA Scores

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

With all this talk of stagnate scores I thought I might point out that their guard score has gone up every show.

And can someone explain to someone who has never been on tour, how the financial issues of the corps end up affecting scores?

Financial issues effect who is on staff, how they travel, where they travel, what kind of food the kids eat and even sometimes how often they eat....money may be the most important part of the equation when deciding the corps success. I know if BD and cadets suddenly had financial issue their staff would migrate to where the money is...thats life

If cascades had more money I would bet you they woud have a better staff.....I know plenty of talented teachers in the Seattle area many of which have extensive drum corps teaching experience.

Part of that isn't money though. John Freeman is an excellent visual guy, especially when it comes to technique. it all comes down to the kids wanting to acheive great things, and after speaking with many of them after the Hillsboro and Seattle Shows they want to kick ###, but the visual program is currently very challenging, there is not much on field leadership and it is very difficult to haveyour head drum major be only seventeen. While I think they are all trying there hardest, it comes down to what was done in the camp season. There is no one going out to the schools to try and find older players, there is a major retention issue and frankly this goes for all corps in the NW, there is no Northwest Pride. I somewhat agree with Fran about taking the rest of the summer off, but I also think they were set up to fail in a sense. 2002 was a fluke year Scouts weren't very good and the Cascades got lucky. IMO they should have stayed in Div. II for a couple years then made the jump. 2002 certainly would have been a championship year for them in Div. II and probably 2003 as well. Without money you cannot compete, that is the same for everything in life, business, sports, etc. It is very sad the shape of this corps, but they will find a way to persevere and they will come back with a vengance I guarentee that!

I am sure that Cascades are lucky to have John but he cant do it all alone

As far as the Drum Major thing goes age does not allways matter. James Gulke was DM for the Concord Blue Devils at 16 years old and Won DCI and the Best DM award at 17....it really all depends on how well they are taught

Edited by 90'sMelloguy

I meant as far as teaching technique. I agree okay on visual design, in the past it was split between him and Kurt Jull, but now it is up to Freeman.

As far as drum major, my point is that she is only seventeen and has never marched(neither did Larry('99-02), but he had more presence within the corps) and that is a difficult thing when the average age of the corps is 17-18. I am sure BD was not at that average age. Leadership is a problem though, the horn captain my friend Ryan Lewis can only do so much, he can't hold kids horns for them, play for them, march for them. It is all about personal accountability for each member. That means practicing after shows in the lot, studying drill and music suring breaks, having sectionals, etc.

I meant as far as teaching technique. I agree okay on visual design, in the past it was split between him and Kurt Jull, but now it is up to Freeman.

As far as drum major, my point is that she is only seventeen and has never marched(neither did Larry('99-02), but he had more presence within the corps) and that is a difficult thing when the average age of the corps is 17-18. I am sure BD was not at that average age. Leadership is a problem though, the horn captain my friend Ryan Lewis can only do so much, he can't hold kids horns for them, play for them, march for them. It is all about personal accountability for each member. That means practicing after shows in the lot, studying drill and music suring breaks, having sectionals, etc.

I am sure you are right. You have much more insight into that corps than I do. I do think that money probably is a big problem though....do you know about the bingo hall situation?

I think the hardest thing I've ever had to write was my comment about looking at the rest of the season. I've asked for Tom P to comment on here about the status of the corps. I had thought that the bingo operation was still a going concerm. allbeit, modified from income from previous years. Having the corps director quit, and having an interim director responsible for everything including haircuts, dealing with a staff vehicle that is held together with bubble-gum and duck tape (well, it's not QUITE that bad) but not good, having food truck issues, just a lot of things.

Like I said, I'd give it until Denver, and then I'd take a deep assessment of the situation.

Edited by Cascade Mama