Spokane. WA Scores

I agree it is a very difficult thing to even think about. I know how much you invested as a parent when Jared marched and how much input you gave us new kids when Jared was a tech. It seems it has been the same problems every year though, Apollo always breaks down going to or coming back from California, then several times down the road, the cook shack always has refirgeration problems (not including when the driver broke the stacks in Boston in '04). It sucks that it has come down to this, but one would think that somewhere ten years ago someone would have ralized a bingo hall was not good for the financial future of corps, because honestly how many people still play bingo? Not that I would have a better idea for revenue other than trying to get a sponsirships from Paul Allen, Howard Schultz, Microsoft, etc. Seattle unfortunately for its rich music history has done poorly with supporting the arts, just look at the failing schools that vuts music programs left and right.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree it is a very difficult thing to even think about. I know how much you invested as a parent when Jared marched and how much input you gave us new kids when Jared was a tech. It seems it has been the same problems every year though, Apollo always breaks down going to or coming back from California, then several times down the road, the cook shack always has refirgeration problems (not including when the driver broke the stacks in Boston in '04). It sucks that it has come down to this, but one would think that somewhere ten years ago someone would have ralized a bingo hall was not good for the financial future of corps, because honestly how many people still play bingo? Not that I would have a better idea for revenue other than trying to get a sponsirships from Paul Allen, Howard Schultz, Microsoft, etc. Seattle unfortunately for its rich music history has done poorly with supporting the arts, just look at the failing schools that vuts music programs left and right.

Oh, you don't EVEN want to get me started regarding music and arts at the high school level...LOL.

Thanks Mark for being understanding and knowing how hard it is for me to even express my feelings on the subject. You know how much I care(d) about all you kids during Jared's Cascade times. I don't have an answer, but part of my questions would be is to how much solicitation is actually occurring from the Cascade organization to get help in all that they do - especially the music education. You and I both know however, that a lot of politics have gotten in the way as well.

To me it seems like not there really hasn't been much attempt, I know I have talked with friends from school telling them they should go march. When I look back I wish someone had told me about this drum corps thing a long time ago, because it has become an adddiction for which there is no remedy. It all comes down to members telling there friends about the corps, when there is the disadvantage of not being well known it makes it difficult to recruit, that goes back to the NW Pride thing. Many kids have gone onto the big name corps and that is good for them and Sal always spoke of that being a bad thing and I would disagree to an extent where it is hard to retain kids when you aren't a perenial top 12 contneder, but at the same time if things went differently who knows maybe many of those people would have stayed. I always felt like we were treated as younger kids because so many of them wereunder 21 and under 18. It is hard when you see other corps with more freedom being treated like young adults and you don't have that. Unfortuneatly the politcal thing plays into everything whether it is slotting by judges or conflicts in a board, I am unsure if there is ever anyway to avoid that. The one sad thing about DCI these days is it is very political, to the point where I think sometimes it loses focus of its mission and goals.

I think the hardest thing I've ever had to write was my comment about looking at the rest of the season. I've asked for Tom P to comment on here about the status of the corps. I had thought that the bingo operation was still a going concerm. allbeit, modified from income from previous years. Having the corps director quit, and having an interim director responsible for everything including haircuts, dealing with a staff vehicle that is held together with bubble-gum and duck tape (well, it's not QUITE that bad) but not good, having food truck issues, just a lot of things.

Like I said, I'd give it until Denver, and then I'd take a deep assessment of the situation.

Very sad about the state of the Cascades. I think they are a very important aspect to drumcorp in the Pacific Northwest. We've seen some good corps come and go. Would hate to see them fold because of financial and personal issues.

On a happier note it will be so awesome to have Drum Corps on the west coast next year!!!!! Maybe for one the west coast corps can have a little left over in their wallets from touring, Plus I am sure there are going to be some great lineups, maybe a regional at Seahawks stadium?

Very sad about the state of the Cascades. I think they are a very important aspect to drumcorp in the Pacific Northwest. We've seen some good corps come and go. Would hate to see them fold because of financial and personal issues.

Oh, I don't think that they will ever fold because of financial or personal issues. The folding of the organization is definitely not in question. My point being is that the total diversity and hurdles that the corps may need to overcome this year may be more than should be expected of a corps, and what is the right direction if the staffing issues (and I truly believe it is due to managment/staff) doesn't change.

Let's face it folks...while a very difficult visual/ensemble program is expected from a Division I group, are the Cascades capable of achieving that within the time frame given, or is it right to expect them to be able to achieve that level at all? Now, if the corps members themselves are not 110% dedicated to their journey and are sitting anything out and have prima-donna attitudes about anything at all, then I'd be sorely disappointed to find that out.

After reading this thread I suddenly feel terrible for these kids. I had NO idea the condition of things was like that. :(

Edited by dciguy01

Talking with them though, they are taking it in stride and doing their best to not let it effect them. I know John Freeman will tell them everynight the only thing they need to worry about is going out and perfvorming the absolute best they can right now, don't let the previous nights matter and don't worry about tommorrow.