Spokane. WA Scores

Dan, you know I agree on judging we were sitting there together in Hillsboro, and Kelsey will vouch that I sadi it was Bull$#* when they announced the score in Seattle. You know I have experienced rough times, and i know you have to with this corps, but who hasn't? It is so difficult to look at the corps struggle when you put in so much time(Dan = 6 years)(me = 1) but it is family. I wish you could have been there on friday standing with Jimmy Craig and kels and I to listen to the corps play Imagine in front of us. this is such a difficult situation, that I am not sure there is a solution other than the Cascades going out and showing those $%#@! judges what they are made of. And as an alumni, and I think I speak for most, they are made of HEART, DETIRMINATION, and SOUL. This corps will persevere and they will show these judges that they are full of $#*! and kick some serious ### when they get out of the NW and these horrific judges.

Edited by Maleko13

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow its like a cascade reunion in here. Hey Mark and Dan....Mark you didnt tell me you got engaged, congrats!

Now I'm not saying scores are the most important thing is this activity, but since I'm in Michigan and havent gotten a chance to see the Cascades, it's all I have to go on. But this stagnate score for Seattle really seems odd (Unless things have changed since I marched there and they now just have free days every day). It seems unlikely that practicing every day and working on the show would lead to only a few tenths of a point over a few weeks. So I really am excited for them to get off the west coast to see what other judges have to say about them.

I agree, they all need to get away from the west because there is no way that BK is anywhere near SCV right now, and as far as the rest of the summer I see a big gap about to open up between them. Kyle, you need to come visit/call us sometime, it has been forever.

I am so glad to hear that Steve will be working with the corps. You all know (or should know) that I believe in my heart that the Cascades can do miracles. I also understand the dynamics of what lack of leadership can do to a corps, what low morale can do for a corps, and shoestring budgets can do. The Cascades are a viable financial corps, and that is not something that I have really had a problem with - but one grows tired of hearing about Apollo - it's almost a joke at this point, but what amount of stress is that putting on the staff that has that POS to depend on for transportation.

One never likes to air dirty laundry and Mark you and Dan know that the political educational arena in the NW is not particularly thrilled with the Cascades and has not been for many years....and I think many of the people involved in the mess felt that things would change this year with the change of managment, but that hasn't happened either. I personally know of a couple of old-timers (old-old timers) that still bad mouth the Cascades when they get the chance. That still frosts me!! When I called their hand on it they told me to shut my (7 letter word) mouth about things I didn't know anything about and to just deal with it. It's not been an easy five years when one gets hate mail by people you would think would be supporters of the corps, but rather sit on their collective butts and complain about the corps and why they don't support the organization.

My comment about waiting until Denver - the judging panel generally changes dynamically in Denver. Also the corps is going to have a significant period of time to fix some of the problems that seem to be plagueing them.

Now - the corps has to pull together as a collective unit - totally and I mean all of the kids dedicated to the journey they have set themselves on. I guess it just pains me so much to see these kids work so hard to have their ideals stomped on by those who have yet to get IT, or never had IT. I have shed more than tears over the years with the organization, and I guess that my frustration with not being able to do anything to help the situation is getting to me. If it were straight financial things I think many would step in to help - I think it runs a lot deeper than any of us really know about.

My comment about waiting until Denver - the judging panel generally changes dynamically in Denver. Also the corps is going to have a significant period of time to fix some of the problems that seem to be plagueing them.

This topic is obviously very close to the hearts of many, which quite frankly I think is something that shines as a positive for the Cascades and their future. While this has been a proud organization for decades, I think the resurgance since the late 90's is creating a strong alumni base which will ultimately benefit the corps.

I had the priviledge to spend a full day around the corps on Saturday, and I definitely walked away with some mixed feelings. Many people are focusing on the fall since 2002, however I can't help thinking about how far this corps has come since 10 years ago - truly a positive to focus on.

I agree with many who have said the show is not written extremely well, but I ultimately found what I thought was a bigger problem. The Cascades have a staff that clearly will not give up until they acheive their goals, however I wonder if the experience is their to match the expectations they have. I mostly spent time around the hornline, and while they do some things very nicely, there is an underlying problem of not having mastered basic concepts. To contrast this, I was able to spend some time with the Oregon Crusaders hornline, who by all accounts is younger and probably less talented, yet has a VERY firm fundamental grip. I do not mean this as harsh on anyone that is giving so much time to an organization, as I respect that VERY much, however I do see this as the main contributor to holding the Cascades back competitively this year.

As far as the NW judging is concerned, I just don't fully buy that this is the sole problem. I understand the politics, and agree that historically it has always been a problem, but in my opinion the marks aren't that far from being accurate. I certainly do expect they will improve however.

And lastly, to Cascade Mama: I have paid close attention to any Cascades related topic on this forum for years, and I have nothing but absolute respect for you and your support of the Cascades. You have always been the first to come out and say the positive, as well as what is on your mind, and that is to be applauded. I do however have a problem with the message that possibly ending tour would convey. First off, above you mentioned to wait until Denver to see how scores work themselves out. This activity is not about the scores, nor ultimately about being rewarded by the scores. From what I gather (I only witnessed the Seattle show, so may be biased), the Cascades have received audience support in all venues, and that will undoubtedly continue. I'm a bit removed from the corps at this point, but as others have mentioned, they are working hard, and quitting should not be something in their minds. I may have misunderstood your intentions, however I just feel that this activity is about working towards goals, enduring to the end of often tough situations, and the Cascades will undoubtedly do that.

Going forward in years to come is not going to be an easy road, and I think some changes are probably needed, however this is a drum corps that has made it through worse times in the past.

Keep up the great work Cascades!

Dang! Blue Knights are right on SCV's arse!

SCV- 80.75

BK- 80.10

Cascades- 61.95

Cascades look to be on a downward spiral after looking like they had a shot at one of the top 12 spots not long ago. Sad to see them barely breaking 60 here in mid July,and less than a month to go in the season.

Edited by X DM

6 shows for Seattle.

Can anyone recall another time when a corps has gone that many shows with basically no movement up or down? I would imagine it has happened before, but I don't recall it ever happening at the beginning of the season. Usually a stall comes a few weeks in. Not in the first 10 days.

My guess, in the 1st 2 shows, the judges gave the Cascades the benefit of the doubt as a Corps historically pretty good. But by the 3rd and 4th show, the judging community pretty much concurred that the Cascades have some serious issues this season with their show and member talent that they did not have the past couple of years. Thus, no scoring traction. That would be my take anyway as a possible reason.

Edited by X DM

I agree with many who have said the show is not written extremely well, but I ultimately found what I thought was a bigger problem. The Cascades have a staff that clearly will not give up until they acheive their goals, however I wonder if the experience is their to match the expectations they have. I mostly spent time around the hornline, and while they do some things very nicely, there is an underlying problem of not having mastered basic concepts. To contrast this, I was able to spend some time with the Oregon Crusaders hornline, who by all accounts is younger and probably less talented, yet has a VERY firm fundamental grip. I do not mean this as harsh on anyone that is giving so much time to an organization, as I respect that VERY much, however I do see this as the main contributor to holding the Cascades back competitively this year.

I would agree, a major problem is not having a Brass Caption Head. While I either marched with or was instructed by all of the brass staff, they are all very intelligent and musically adept people, there is only so much they can do as younger staff members. When Gino was a consultant for brass that was a big help, he was able to bring out a better hornline in us and I think that something like that is necessary on top of having a caption head like say Steve Menefee.