Rockford, IL Review

OK, it's 4am and I just got home from the trip to Rockford. I'm a bit sleepy, so I have no clue how this is going to come off, but here it goes.

This is my 4th show of the season and finally had a few new corps to see tonight that I haven't yet seen this season.

The weather was just amazing! It was warm out, middle 80's at the beginning of the show, with this narrow patch of clouds that looked as if it were going to rain on us, but thankfully it never did and stayed there the whole night! Just crazy! I also thank that long narrow cloud for blocking sun as all of us would have been looking into the sun the first half of the show. Nice size crowd, pretty receptive throughout the night.

Now to what I saw....

COLT CADETS - Ya know, this is the most I've ever seen this corps in 1 season. These young kids are like a sponge and are just soaking up everything they can. It's amazing how far they come in a short amount of time and it shows. Tonight I heard a lot more sound than I've ever heard from this corps. I can see the confidence building in them and this show is starting to really communicate now with the audience. One of the bass drum runs came off wonderfully tonight and gave me a shock moment, YEAH! OK, I know, things are very dirty, blah, blah; but look at the age of these kids and once you realize that, you will have such an appreciation for what they do. Great way to start out the night!

CROSSMEN - First off, I want to say that tonight was the night of missing bass drum #3 players. What the heck is going on? Only 4 bass drums for Crossmen tonight. (Along with Colts) I had the chance to watch the drumline warmup before the show. I think what best describes their line is maybe a bit younger than usual, but more so some lack of mental concentration. During their warmup, I can't tell you how many times they had to restart their exercise just to get the initial attack together. (20 times in a 10 minute period for snares, and I'm not kidding on this one; some triplet based exercise.) So when it came to the show, you could easily tell that initial attacks and ending phrases are causing huge problems with the line. The "Radio" portion of the program is one that you will always remember and is done really well. Folks, this is how amplification should be used!!! I couldn't help but laugh and cheer when the "Hip Hop" station was played; very creative!!! Overall, I felt tonight they were selling the show and the crowd and I ate it up. This show has entertainment value that we haven't seen from a drum corps in some time I feel. I think for the first time viewers that see this show, there are wow moments with the radio section. I LOVE IT!

CAPITAL REGIMENT - My favorite OTL warmup for a drumline. I've heard this warmup many times and just love it! For the show, tonight it seemed a bit flat for me. Not sure why, but the kids didn't seem to have the wind in them tonight. But let me tell ya, the hornline let out a few times and wow'ed me. The balancing of the mixer board tonight with the tubes was just right. My only complaint is the muddy tuning in the snare section. They need to crank those drums up a bit. I do like the lower pitches in the bottom bass drums though. I'll be honest and I don't know where this show is going to go now at this point. If I were to be working on stuff with these kids, it would for sure be selling the show and playing with a bit more emotion. We'll just have to wait and see what happens.

COLTS - ("where oh where has the third bass drum gone" *singing*) I’ll be honest, I think they went next, but it could have been Crown. Anywho, Colts are really doing a great job this season. I've seen them so many times now that I really have a good feeling for this show. Did I mention how much of a pleasure it is to sit back and watch a good cymbal line? Yup, they have one and contribute pretty well to the overall package. For me this show is a good example of a solid program from beginning to end. There wasn't too much going on or too little; just right. (The three bears story coming to mind) The textures the patio chimes in the pit creates are just wonderful. The program is very accessible and makes a good choice for showing a new person to drum corps what it's like. Like a lot of corps they have more cleaning to do, but this show could really take off once everything get cleaned up real well. Drumline is pretty solid and pit has some nice moments; this show just made me happy. I think that best describes them tonight.

INTERMISSION - 40 minutes! I don't know; seemed a bit long, but did give everyone time to browse around the souvie booths for a bit (man was it crowded there!) Concession stands had hot dogs, BBQ Beef, and Nachos as the main food. There was also a Culvers frozen custard stand that had to of made a fortune tonight! There was also another stand that had pop and stale popcorn....it was a bit gross. Lines for the bathrooms even though there was 'port-o-johns' to the side. The mens restroom; well, you know how it smelled. :sshh:

CAROLINA CROWN - First of all, I think the main color for a lot of drum corps is purple this year; and CC had a lot of it. As you read this you know I really don't look at the guard ever (hence 'percussionists point of view') but I couldn't help notice some major train wrecks with the guard tonight. What happened? This had to be an off night for their guard. So many drops, man, its July folks. I thought I'd see better by now. Anyways, their drumline is pretty solid throughout. I have to give huge credit to the drill writer who really knows how to integrate the percussion section within the corps proper. I had to actually search a few times to find the drumline, kudos to the writer. I guess what really shocked me in this show was the 'Modern' music they were playing. After hearing all the shows before hand, I must admit I was caught off guard a bit with the music. I do like the music; it just took me a few minutes to get acquainted. Yeah, the show reminds me of Star's Bartok show a bit; but I don't think they will get to the same level as Star did that year. Even with that said, the show has some nice moments and I dug it in the end. Finals week I'll be sure to get a better look at this show; so far I give it a thumbs up!

THE CADETS - Sigh, OK, I don't want to start any wars so just take it for what it worth; OK??? There comes a point in time when you have too many things going on that when it comes to tie them in with each other; it doesn't work. Just too much happening, and to top it off it becomes distracting. A good example would be when the drumline has this amazing feature, but you miss it because you are too drawn to people jumping off of picnic tables. Folks, sometimes "Less is More". Like the back part of the uniform does nothing for me. Why not integrate all those backdrops to different positions to frame the drill. Again, they did nothing for me. And "THE DOOR", ya know, I have no clue why they don't use it a lot more like last year. Once in the beginning of the show, and once in the end; that was it. I was so expecting to use it a lot more; this would tie in the show from last year. Isn't this "the zone 2"? Or is this 'Alice in Wonderland'? I have no clue; and this is the problem. The show has too much to communicate to the audience and looses them in the process.

The kids are top notch; don't get me wrong, they deserve so much credit. It's the product that is faulty; and it's a shame that it is.

As far as the singer...

Let me throw this idea out. I could easily bash it and say it sucks; but I'm not going to even do that. I'd rather give a suggestion.

Let me share my idea.... I remember last years ballad and when it played it simulated how your dreams are. You could hear this heart beat of bass drums. Horns sounded airy as they were pointed back field. It was like a dream. Why not take this singing part and make it a dreamy kind of effect. I'm sure all of you have hear music by "Enya"; why not use all that expensive mixing EQ and make her voice light and airy with some reverb to sound like the main vocal as on "Enya's" cds? Think as to how this would make this section sound. Get where I'm going with this???? Not in your face, but blending to make a mood and showcase the entire corps, not just the singer.

I'm taking a stab in the dark at this one, but I get a gut feeling that most people and the judging community do not like the singing part as is. You know that cutting the part had to have crossed the staffs mind a few times; but I don't blame them for not cutting it. I would not like to say to that nice gal who does the vocal that it's out and time to go home. I don't know; just sharing a thought. Don't bash me, but it's what I think and is my opinion. I'm sure others out there feel differently and I respect their opinion as well.

I'm predicting that this show won't go too much farther score wise without sweeping changes. I'm predicting that The Cadets scores are going to slowly start leveling off and other corps are going to slowly start passing them by. Just my honest opinion.

I'll say this though; there was a bass drum feature that was downright amazing. Could be one of the best bass features in a long time...too bad other stuff was going on in the background that distracted from it.

BLUE DEVILS - Refreshing familiar music for me. I'm not a big BD fan; I just get tired of the same stuff year after year from them. This time I enjoyed them very much so. What's great is things have cleaned up nicely already and those attacks in the entire corps proper are just outstanding! Drumline is very good as usual. I need another viewing though. I just can't comment as of yet. I can tell you this, BD will be placed somewhere 1-3 come finals. Sorry BD fans, I'd love to post more, just don't have much to say with them yet.

PHANTOM REGIMENT - My goodness what a stellar drumline!!!! I'm thinking drumline may come out on top this year at finals if they keep it up. As to the Faust music, they do it well for sure. I'm not real big on the music, but I can't help by appreciate how well they are doing it. And that ballad; my gosh, what a moment tonight! The thing with Phantom is they have a show that will peak come Finals night. To say this show is difficult is an understatement. The staff has played the difficulty card that will payoff with huge rewards come Finals night. This is the time of the season now when things are cleaning up that it will get very exciting for Phantom Phans. I'm predicting them moving up in the ranks the next couple of weeks. As a side note, yes, Phantom deserved edging The Cadets tonight.

That's it!

BTW, Thanks Phantom for playing a wonderful home show concert at the end with music from the past. I wish all corps would do what you did and play excerpts from music the corps has played in past years. You guys made my trip home enjoyable.

Very nice review. I believe you when you say Phantom deserved to beat Cadets. I saw both in Pennsylvania and both are still dirty, but Cadets just have more issues to iron out. Their visual scores from last night really hurt them, where they were just fine in GE and overall Music. Phantom has a smokin' percussion section, and as always their brass are great fun to listen to. You're suggestion to the Cadets about the ballad is a good one I think, but I am not sure if reverb and other effects are allowed. I think just amplification and EQ. I could be wrong.

Jonathan

thanks for the great review - I felt like I was there...

I also really appreciated the fact that when you didn't like something you still kept the comments constructive. Face it - we're all not going to like the same thing - but there's no need to diminish ourselves with childish comments.

Thanks again,

George

Let me throw this idea out. I could easily bash it and say it sucks; but I'm not going to even do that. I'd rather give a suggestion.

Let me share my idea.... I remember last years ballad and when it played it simulated how your dreams are. You could hear this heart beat of bass drums. Horns sounded airy as they were pointed back field. It was like a dream. Why not take this singing part and make it a dreamy kind of effect. I'm sure all of you have hear music by "Enya"; why not use all that expensive mixing EQ and make her voice light and airy with some reverb to sound like the main vocal as on "Enya's" cds? Think as to how this would make this section sound. Get where I'm going with this???? Not in your face, but blending to make a mood and showcase the entire corps, not just the singer.

I really like the idea of changing the singing to a little more dream like and Enya like--it would actually endhance the show a lot! NICE idea!

PHANTOM REGIMENT - My goodness what a stellar drumline!!!! I'm thinking drumline may come out on top this year at finals if they keep it up. As to the Faust music, they do it well for sure. I'm not real big on the music, but I can't help by appreciate how well they are doing it. And that ballad; my gosh, what a moment tonight! The thing with Phantom is they have a show that will peak come Finals night. To say this show is difficult is an understatement. The staff has played the difficulty card that will payoff with huge rewards come Finals night. This is the time of the season now when things are cleaning up that it will get very exciting for Phantom Phans. I'm predicting them moving up in the ranks the next couple of weeks. As a side note, yes, Phantom deserved edging The Cadets tonight.

this is my opinion

i think phantom should have passed cadets score back in south carolina, phantoms show was amazing that night.

their battery is just amazing they have a strong chance at winning the high percussion award this year. along with their brass, at points in their show their are in your face with this huge wall of sound, which i love the most. but the ballad was actually the part that made me feel lifted.

if they keep cleaning like they hopefully they will be in the top 3

Good ideas about the singer. That had crossed my mind as well and I think the staff should be considering that.

Great to read a review from a percussionist standpoint. As a brass guy, I like to read a drummer's insight. I was amazed by PR's battery as well, but couldn't tell you if it was really as clean as it sounded to me.

THE CADETS - Sigh, OK, I don't want to start any wars so just take it for what it worth; OK??? There comes a point in time when you have too many things going on that when it comes to tie them in with each other; it doesn't work. Just too much happening, and to top it off it becomes distracting. A good example would be when the drumline has this amazing feature, but you miss it because you are too drawn to people jumping off of picnic tables. Folks, sometimes "Less is More". Like the back part of the uniform does nothing for me. Why not integrate all those backdrops to different positions to frame the drill. Again, they did nothing for me. And "THE DOOR", ya know, I have no clue why they don't use it a lot more like last year. Once in the beginning of the show, and once in the end; that was it. I was so expecting to use it a lot more; this would tie in the show from last year. Isn't this "the zone 2"? Or is this 'Alice in Wonderland'? I have no clue; and this is the problem. The show has too much to communicate to the audience and looses them in the process.

The kids are top notch; don't get me wrong, they deserve so much credit. It's the product that is faulty; and it's a shame that it is.

As far as the singer...

I'm taking a stab in the dark at this one, but I get a gut feeling that most people and the judging community do not like the singing part as is. You know that cutting the part had to have crossed the staffs mind a few times; but I don't blame them for not cutting it. I would not like to say to that nice gal who does the vocal that it's out and time to go home. I don't know; just sharing a thought. Don't bash me, but it's what I think and is my opinion. I'm sure others out there feel differently and I respect their opinion as well.

I'm predicting that this show won't go too much farther score wise without sweeping changes. I'm predicting that The Cadets scores are going to slowly start leveling off and other corps are going to slowly start passing them by. Just my honest opinion.

I'll say this though; there was a bass drum feature that was downright amazing. Could be one of the best bass features in a long time...too bad other stuff was going on in the background that distracted from it.

The thing that kept my interest in this particular review was the fact you kept it constructive, and diplomatic. Taking the "low road" speaks volumes.

Nice review.