New DCA vs. Old DCI

This is my first year marching DCA, GO FRONTER!

I marched DCI in the late '80's.

I have not had the chance to see a DCA corps perform in person except for MN Brass and the Gov's back when I was marching DCI.

The comparison I've been given by the folks I'm now marching with is that DCA today is like DCI wants to be. It continues - like DCI in the late '70s/ early '80s.

It seems to me like that comparison is even more valid now with all the 'artsy' stuff going on in DCI that a bunch of people are clamoring about.

Is this valid? What do you all think? And what should I be looking forward to in Rochester this year?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If I was do compare such a subject I would say DCA now is more like DCI 90's.

I think that would be a better era to compare to. DCA is definately not like DCI in the 70's and only a little like the 80's. The early 90's and maybe late late 80's of DCI is about where the design style has gone to in DCA. IT is still very enjoyable to watch and listen to.

I would say DCA 2006 is like DCA 2006. B)

Fran

Current DCA might resemble early 90s DCI except for the small detail of allowing any-key brass.

some of the design i saw this past weekend is purely within this decade.

I don't believe in the DCA is like old DCI idea that some subscribe to...

Fran said is right, DCA 2006 is like DCA 2006.

There are some comparisons to DCI corps, but more and more, DCA corps have their own strong and unique identities

I don't believe in the DCA is like old DCI idea that some subscribe to...

Fran said is right, DCA 2006 is like DCA 2006.

There are some comparisons to DCI corps, but more and more, DCA corps have their own strong and unique identities

I like this answer the best.

I believe DCA and DCI are two completely different beasts. DCA looks like DCA, DCI looks like DCI.

Take that for what it's worth, anyway.

~>conner

There's not much of a comparison. But there is some comparison.

Both march and play at the same time.

Both use brass, guard, and drums.

Both wear uniforms, although for some shows that may mean shorts and common shirt in DCA.

Beyond that, in DCA, the show you general start the season with is the show you end the season with. You're not rewritting everything everyday, like you probably did in a DCI corps. In DCA there's generally fewer sets of drill and the step size you use in the drill is more sane. Not to imply that you're not moving, but generally you're moving at a fast pace for a smaller percentage of the show, if at all.

Also in DCI, you generally have everyone always there. In DCA, you're likely to be missing a significant percentage of your corps at any one event. So you can't have four baritone parts and only four baritone players, because you're likely to be missing some voicings at any one event. And that may not be a factor of your memberships commitment, it may just be meetings, souvies, vehicles, meals, and other corps aspects that require your marching membership to be doing something other than marching at any one event.

When I marched in DCI, you were given at least a two hour pre-show block of time to clean your horn, and get ready for the show. With additional rest / hang time on the bus ride to the show site, plus a two hour pre-show warmup. In DCA, you're lucky if you get an hour and half, to include a meal, shower, and show prep, including the warmup. You're also likely to be doing your last pre-show run through and the show run through within two hours of each other. And you're very likely to be skipping a shower and/or a meal in the interests of time management.

As far as the shows, they're similar. And many DCA corps can approach the cleanliness of drill of some DCI corps, even though they're doing that in less than 1/10th the time. But unlike DCI where you're limited to 21 or under, you can have members who have been playing 21 or more years. So musically, it's on a whole nother level for some corps. Granted that you don't have the time to syncronize attacks and releases and dynamics like you probably did in junior corps. But sometimes you find yourself in a line that just does that by instinct.

The end products may be similar, but the method and means to get there are two completely different animals in most cases.