New DCA vs. Old DCI

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think a comparison between the two can be made because some of the corps from the midwest and west coast spend most of their season performing at DCI shows and only complete once with DCA. Meanwhile the east coast DCA corps rarely venture west and get exposure outside their circuit. I've seen a lot more props on the field at DCA shows than I have at DCI shows. There are plenty of corps in DCA doing innovative things and not waiting for them to be tested out in DCI first, then adopt them a decade later.

I like all these observations.

Actually, the origional comment made to me about the comparison went more like this: "DCA is like what DCI wants to be - fun, exciting, laid back, easy to understand, balls-to-the-wall, etc."

Fun, exciting, and balls-to-the-wall are all traits that I believe DCI still has in a big way. But laid back is not a trait that DCI "wants to have." DCI is extremely competetive and lives life a million miles an hour. That's what is so great about it. Then again, no corps in DCI or DCA can afford to be laid back if one of their priorities is to be competative at the highest level possible.

And as far as the "easy to understand" aspect: Well, if you ask me, there has never been a drum corps show that requires a genius to understand. You either like the music or you don't, end of story.

There are plenty of corps in DCA doing innovative things and not waiting for them to be tested out in DCI first, then adopt them a decade later.

Like what? Not trying to be a smart###, I'm actually curious because I can't think of any.

megaphones come to mind. B)

megaphones come to mind. B)

That's a great affect and I loved it when the Renegades did it, but are you sure it hadn't already been done in DCI? It seems to me that somebody had to do it in the 70s or 80s.

Does anybody know? Anybody? Beuller?

i dont ever remember seeing it. Bush's triple stack bass drums is something no one else has ever done.

I fired a bottlerocket out of my stickbag on the 4th of July several years ago- right after the 60 sec warm-up. I don't think that's been done in DCI. :)

i dont ever remember seeing it. Bush's triple stack bass drums is something no one else has ever done.

What year did Bush do that? I saw somebody use that in Blast in 2002! :)

That's a great affect and I loved it when the Renegades did it, but are you sure it hadn't already been done in DCI? It seems to me that somebody had to do it in the 70s or 80s.

Does anybody know? Anybody? Beuller?

1980 Rhode Island Matadors (DCA) had three gig ###ed megaphones mounted on posts. The three lead sops played an (triple tongued?) intro before they kicked into Rocky to close the show. Jin Centarino(sp!!) then played the bridge part of Rocky thru one.

You can actually hear the crowd freaking out over top of the horns playing. b**bs

Can't remember seeing it done in DCI (at least on the telecasts).

Edited by JimF-xWSMBari