Drum corps fads that need to stop

Many drum corps shows of today are starting to have more and more characteristics in common. Some of this is good, as there is always a standard structural "mold" shows should follow music-wise, and it's good to see some abiding by standards. But there are some that are just plain annoying and, in my opinion, need to go. Which of these have you personally found? I'll start.

1. Ballads that have the climax (full ensemble fermata) at the beginning of the ballad instead of the end. Structurally nonsensical. The entire ballad is supposed to lead up to this point, the audience is supposed to wait for it. Just giving it to them at the beginning is stupid. Classic ballads like Cadets' Make our Garden Grow, On My Own, Letter from Home, On a Hymnsong of Philip Bliss, Born on the Fourth of July, the Promise of Living, Year of the Dragon, Canterbury Chorale, City of Angels, Vide Cor Meum, and other's like SCV's Barber Symphony, Phantom's Lord's Prayer, Cavies' Harmony, etc. all do this correctly. Either have it at the end, or don't have it at all (Star's ballads).

Edited by Hrothgar15

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Speaking of "structurally nonsensical," SCV once ended their show with their ballad at about a ppppp volume. It was tight, though. Very tight...

I'm thinking it was 2000(?)

Many drum corps shows of today are starting to have more and more characteristics in common. Some of this is good, as there is always a standard structural "mold" shows should follow music-wise, and it's good to see some abiding by standards. But there are some that are just plain annoying and, in my opinion, need to go. Which of these have you personally found? I'll start.

1. Ballads that have the climax (full ensemble fermata) at the beginning of the ballad instead of the end. Structurally nonsensical. The entire ballad is supposed to lead up to this point, the audience is supposed to wait for it. Just giving it to them at the beginning is stupid. Classic ballads like Cadets' Make our Garden Grow, On My Own, Letter from Home, On a Hymnsong of Philip Bliss, Born on the Fourth of July, the Promise of Living, Year of the Dragon, Canterbury Chorale, City of Angels, Vide Cor Meum, etc. all do this correctly.

Do you have any example of this? Preferably prior to 2006 as I haven't seen any of the shows yet.

Speaking of "structurally nonsensical," SCV once ended their show with their ballad at about a ppppp volume. It was tight, though. Very tight...

That was amazing. The crowd ate it up too. :worthy:

Yup. But they had a sure-as-FFFF climax about a minute before that, right where it should be. Perfect ballad.

Hmmm...examples? Can't think of any off of the top of my head (it's more of the lower-place corps that do this), but I've been hearing plenty of this.

What drum corps fads need to stop? I'd start by eliminating brass sections. Saxophones and clarinets have sooo much more resonance from a football field. And I'd turn up the amps. I'd plug in more drum machines and add a holographic laser show as well, because THAT would rock!

Edited by mello916

singing/speaking into microphones

singing/speaking into microphones

agreed

what can be a cliche answer right now but it is a fad that needs to go away and we need to say it again...and again...and again...and again until DCI recognizes the fans DON'T want it.

What drum corps fads need to stop?

Exploiting the local Fire Dept. for GE points :P